Constitution, a step towards democracy?

Dear reader,
As a result of technical problems we are currently experiencing, it is
possible that you have received this newsletter twice. We apologise for any
inconvenience caused.

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/dossier.asp?id=173>
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/dossier.asp?id=173>Constitution, a step
towards democracy?
The EU is often criticised for its lack of transparency. Will the
constitution, which is being put to the vote in France on May 29, bring
Europe closer to it citizens?

Chris Yeomans - Durham

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=A&Id=1236>A truly democratic EU?
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=A&Id=1236>One of the most
frequent criticisms of the EU is that it suffers from a 'democratic
deficit'. But will this be redressed by the Constitution?

E. Poudevigne/M. Hearn/S.Rueffler - Paris

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=3835>Lively media debate on
Europe
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=3835>Debate surrounding the
adoption of the European constitution has finally put the European Union at
the heart of media discourse. Despite its faults, this discussion has
brought Europe closer to its citizens.

Victoria Donovan - Bruxelles

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=A&Id=1240>"All constitutions are
written by elites"
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=A&Id=1240>With the French
referendum on the EU constitution just around the corner, emotions are
running high about the nature of the text and its democratic value. In
Brussels on 14 May, <i>café babel</i> organised a heated debate addressing
this question.

Leo Wood - London

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=A&Id=1235>No communication, no
support
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=A&Id=1235>Communication failures
lie at the heart of problems in promoting the EU constitutional treaty. But
what can be done?

Gionata Pacor - D¸sseldorf

<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=3838>How long before we see
pan-European parties?
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=3838>The constitution alone
is not enough. If the EU is ever to be opened up to its citizens, political
leaders must be ready to commit themselves to pan-European projects in time
for the next European elections in 2009.

<http://europe.tiscali.co.uk/index.jsp?section=abc&level=preview&content=154366>EU
Reform
Constitution, federalism, democracy, defence and more

by Tiscali Europe

If you don't wish to receive this newsletter anymore, click
<http://www.cafebabel.com/mailer/easylist.asp>here
Contact <mailto:webmaster at cafebabel.com>Webmaster