UFPJ Announces Full March Route for Aug. 29

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
http://www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
UFPJ ANNOUNCES FULL MARCH ROUTE FOR AUG. 29
* Map: http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=2503
* Additional logistical details to be announced soon

COURT DECISION DENOUNCED; SUPPORT EXPRESSED FOR CENTRAL PARK GATHERING

We want to thank New Yorkers for the extraordinary level of support you
have shown us through the long struggle over the permit for this protest.
An overwhelming majority of people in this City – and countless more around
the country – know, as we do, that Central Park belongs to the people, and
that barring political events from taking place there is a terrible assault
on the First Amendment rights of everyone.

We may have lost in court, but thanks to the massive public pressure on our
behalf, we are pleased to announce that the City has finally come to the
bargaining table and negotiated a sensible agreement with us for a historic
march against war and the Bush Agenda, that takes us through the heart of
Manhattan.

Six weeks ago, the City said, “It’s the highway, or no way.”
Today, we say, we’re marching on Fifth Avenue and Broadway.

The plans for our march assembly remain what they have been: We will gather
beginning at 10:00AM in the area from 15th Street to 22nd Street,
stretching from Fifth Avenue to Ninth Avenue. We will march up Seventh
Avenue past Madison Square Garden, the site of the Republican National
Convention. From there, we will turn east on 34th Street, march to Fifth
Avenue, then march down Fifth Avenue to 23rd Street and then march down
Broadway. The final destination for our march will be Union Square, where
we will conclude our historic march.

Union Square, of course, is the place where so many New Yorkers gathered
spontaneously after September 11, to express our grief at the terrible
attack on our city and our conviction that this attack not be used to
justify more killing and war.

We are marching this Sunday because we have an Administration that has
exploited the 9/11 tragedy to pursue an illegal and unnecessary war in
Iraq, a war that has alredy cost the lives of almost 1000 U.S.
servicepeople and more than 10,000 Iraqi civilians. The Bush Administration
lied about the reasons for the war, lied about the alleged weapons of mass
destruction. Their policies are based on greed and hate, they manipulate
the truth and bring us to war. We, and millions of Americans, are fed up.

So this Sunday, we will march to say NO to the Bush agenda of war, greed,
hate and lies.

And what about Central Park?

Central Park is New York City’s town commons, a traditional public forum
that belongs to all the people of this city. What came to light in our
court case, however, is that the City of New York and the Central Park
Conservancy have made a secret, private deal to withdraw the park from
public use. This is an outrage, this is an assault on our freedom of
assembly. The fight to restore Central Park to public use is far from
over...it is just beginning.

We all know that large numbers of people are planning to go to Central
Park’s Great Lawn on Sunday, despite – or because of – the court’s ruling
that we may not hold a rally there.

United for Peace and Justice emphatically supports the right of people to
peacefully assemble in Central Park.

We are committed to having a safe, legal protest march, that anyone and
everyone can attend – kids, seniors, immigrants, people with disabilities.
We therefore are NOT leading our march to Central Park, and we ask everyone
who plans to participate in our march to respect our desire for a safe and
legal event, and not to organize breakaway marches from it to the Park.

To those who wish both to march with us and to assert their right to
assemble in Central Park on Sunday, we ask that you follow our march to the
end, disperse peacefully at Union Square, and then make your own way to the
Great Lawn.

We ask the City of New York and the New York Police Department to respect
the right of people to gather on the Great Lawn, and to conduct themselves
with restraint. Indeed, we ask the NYPD to respect the rights of protesters
throughout our march on Sunday, and at all the protest events scheduled
throughout the week.

We invite all New Yorkers and people from all over the country to join this
massive demonstration against the Bush Agenda. Bring your signs, bring your
banners, bring your family and friends. Together, we will upstage the
Republican Convention with a powerful message of peace and justice.

In solidarity,
United for Peace and Justice

AUGUST 29, THE WORLD SAYS NO TO THE BUSH AGENDA!
Massive Protest at the Republican National Convention, New York City
* Assemble at 10:00AM, Seventh Avenue @ 14th Street
* March steps off at noon
Visit the RNC mobilizing section of our website for resources and to
endorse the August 29 demonstration:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/rnc
We need your financial support to make the August 29 protest a success:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate