[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 23 Sep 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Big Trouble for British Occupation of Southern Iraq
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
As expected, the British and the corporate press are blaming Moqtada
al-Sadr and his Mahdi army for the recent troubles in Basra, obscuring the
fact two SAS undercover troublemakers were caught red-handed readying a
terrorist attack against Iraqi Shi’ites. Adrian Blomfield, writing for the
UK Telegraph, characterizes the arrest of the British terrorists as “two
SAS soldiers [held] hostage in Basra” and the allegations that t! he two
were plotting murder and mayhem a “smear campaign” that translates into
“another blow to the British Army’s hopes of restoring its affection among
locals,” as if Iraqis are fond of the idea of occupation and foreign troops
stationed in their country. Basra’s governor, Mohammed al-Wa’eli, accused
Britain of “imperial arrogance,” a shoe that fits and the Brits (and
Americans) should wear it...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16077&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16077

A New Five-Star Hotel in Baghdad !!
Treasure of Baghdad
While I was going over the local newspapers this morning, I read a shocking
headline: "A 23-floor, 5-star hotel to be built inside the Green Zone". I
read the whole article and I wished I did not. The article says "The
Minister of reconstruction announced the approval of the Prime minister to
build a 5-star hotel inside the Green Zone." (...) Now you, Iraqi people,
the government whom you voted for forgot about you and started taking care
of their allies rat! her than you. You are left with a dirty city, no place
to have fun in, no clubs, no open roads, no services, no electricity, no
fuel, no water, no safety, and no CONTROL at all. This government is hiding
behind the Jersey Walls surrounding the Green Zone where the 5-star hotel
will be built...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16066&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16066

Draft Constitution - Part II
Riverbend, Baghdad burning
...There is talk of possibly setting up an autonomous region in the south
that will be run by pro-Iran extremists Da’awa and SCIRI. Should provinces
like Karbala and Najaf decide to form a region in the south, America can
congratulate itself on the creation of an extended Iran. Already, these
provinces are running on their own rules and regulations, with their own
militias. Federalism is ok when a country is stable. It’s fantastic when
countries or troubled ! regions are attempting to unite. In present-day
Iraq it promises to be catastrophic. It will literally divide the country
and increase instability. This is especially true with the kind of
federalism they want to practice in Iraq. Federalism based on geography is
acceptable, but federalism based on ethnicity and sect? Why not simply
declare civil war and get it over with?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16065&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16065

War Pornography
Gore-for-porn swap by US soldiers in Iraq makes Abu Ghraib look like kid stuff.
Chris Thompson
If you want to see the true face of war, go to the amateur porn Web site
NowThatsFuckedUp.com. For almost a year, American soldiers stationed in
Iraq and Afghanistan have been taking photographs of dead bodies, many of
them horribly mutilated or blown to pieces, and sending them to Web site
administrator Chris Wilson. In return for letting him post these images,
Wilson gives the soldie! rs free access to his site. American soldiers have
been using the pictures of disfigured Iraqi corpses as currency to buy
pornography...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16063&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16063

British “Pond Life” Intel Ops Unmentioned in the Corporate Media
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
Jarlath Kearney, writing for the Daily Ireland, draws a crucial comparison
that will of course be completely ignored by the larger corporate media.
The incident in Basra, where two SAS undercover operatives were captured,
dressed as Arabs and driving a car loaded with weapons and explosives, is
similar to an earlier incident in Northern Ireland, where the SAS operated
for years. “The incident drew parallels with! the March 1988 attack on the
funeral of IRA volunteer Caoimhghin Mac Bradaigh,” writes Kearney. “During
that incident, two armed and undercover army intelligence operatives drove
directly at the cortege in west Belfast. After firing a shot, both soldiers
were subsequently captured, beaten and shot dead by the IRA.” Lucky for the
British intelligence operatives in Basra, they were not murdered, although
apparently beaten...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16053&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16053

Fighting Surges in Iraq; 2 U.S. Troops Die
STEVEN R. HURST, Associated Press Writer
Heavy fighting surged Friday in the Euphrates River city of Ramadi, police
and hospital officials said, and the U.S. military reported the deaths of
two more soldiers around the militant stronghold, scene of nearly
one-quarter of 29 American deaths this month. In Baghdad, a suicide bomber
on a public minibus set off an explosives belt as the vehicle approached a
busy terminal Friday, killing at least five people and wounding eight! ,
police said...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16081&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16081

Calipari's widow says his slaying 'cannot be allowed to become yet another
of Italy's mysteries'
Luciana Bohne, Online Journal Contributing Writer
Rosa Calipari, widow of Major General Nicola Calipari of the Italian
military Security and Intelligence Service who killed by American troops at
Baghdad Airport last March 4, after rescuing kidnapped Italian journalist
Giuliana Sgrena, called on all political forces to support the Italian
judiciary's quest for truth and transparency in the death of her husband.

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16080&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16080

GI Special 3C62: Something Worth Building
www.militaryproject.org
...There are more and more people turning against the war, and more and
more people wanting the troops to come home now. The anti-war movement,
meaning the movement of people moving from support of the war to opposition
to the war, has never been healthier or more powerful. Most importantly, it
is spreading in the armed services as well. Where it really counts. To talk
about "rebuilding the anti-war movement" is a denial of this powerful
reality, a! s if the only dimension worth paying attending to is what
happens among the squabbling opportunists on top of the movement...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16079&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16079

Dear President Bush: a conversation between Cindy Sheehan and Greg Ruggiero
Cindy Sheehan interviewed by Greg Ruggiero, ZNet
...The only thing that has changed is that it has gotten much worse. What
our children are dying for is to make their government's war machine rich.
The U.S. government wastes billions of dollars each year paying for past,
current, and future wars while U.S. corporations lead the world in selling
weapons of death to other countries. We've seen the stated enemies of our
country shift from th! e Cold War to the War on Terror, from the communists
to the terrorists, but the results are the same. War profiteers are getting
rich off of killing our children-feeding on our young. The war profiteers
are our true enemies. The war machine always kills our children, and we, as
moms and parents, should refuse to give our children up to them...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16059&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16059

Such a dastardly policy
Xymphora
Juan Cole, polite to a fault as always, writes: "Some kind readers have
been asking me if it is possible that the British SAS operatives captured
by the Iraqi police on Monday were agents provocateurs planning to blow
things up and blame some Iraqi group. My answer is that while it cannot be
absolutely ruled out, the theory has almost no facts behind it. It is not
even clear if the British agents had a bomb in their car, and they may not
after all have killed Iraqi police who c! ame to grab them. I'd need way
more evidence than now exists to charge the British military with such a
dastardly policy" (...) The kit of the captured soldiers included an
anti-tank weapon (and who is the only force with tanks in Basra?), and
towing equipment (to tow a booby-trapped car filled with explosives?)...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16076&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16076

New Accounts of Torture by U.S. Troops
Reuters
U.S. Army troops subjected Iraqi detainees to severe beatings and other
torture at a base in central Iraq from 2003 through 2004, often under
orders or with the approval of superior officers, according to accounts
from soldiers released by Human Rights Watch today. The new report,
"Leadership Failure: Firsthand Accounts of Torture of Iraqi Detainees by
the U.S. Army's 82nd Airborne Division," provides soldiers' accounts of
abuses against detainees committed by troops! of the 82nd Airborne
stationed at Forward Operating Base Mercury (FOB Mercury), near Fallujah.
Three U.S. army personnel-two sergeants and a captain-describe routine,
severe beatings of prisoners and other cruel and inhumane treatment...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16075&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16075

Hurricane Rita Contributes to National (News) Blackout!
Jesse, Editor , TVNewsLIES.org
...We have not heard about another recess appointment of an shady Iran
Contra criminal by George W. Bush (the grand hero to people who committed
crimes while working for our government!) We have not heard about the many
deaths in Iraq, both American and Iraqi. We have not heard a word about the
very suspicious situation in which heavily armed Brit soldiers dressed as
Arabs were arrested in Iraq and then broken out of jail by Br! itish
tanks!...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16074&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16074

Report attacks 'myth' of foreign fighters
Brian Whitaker and Ewen MacAskill, The Guardian
The US and the Iraqi government have overstated the number of foreign
fighters in Iraq, "feeding the myth" that they are the backbone of the
insurgency, an American thinktank says in a new report. Foreign militants -
mainly from Algeria, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Egypt and Saudi Arabia - account
for less than 10% of the estimated 30,000 insurgents, according to the
Washington-based Centre for Strategic and International Studies (! CSIS)...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16073&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16073

Soldier's chilling testimony fuels demonstrations against Iraq war
Andrew Buncombe, The Independent
..."I don't know how many innocents I killed with my mortar rounds," Mr
Viges, who served with the 82nd Airborne Division, said during a
presentation this week at American University in Washington. "In Baghdad, I
had days that I don't want to remember. I try to forget," he added. The
rare insight into the chaos of the combat - including an order to open fire
on all taxis in the city of Samawa because it was believe! d Iraqi forces
were using them for transport - comes as US support for the war in Iraq
slumps to an all-time low. Polls suggest that 60 per cent now believe the
war was wrong. Mr Bush's personal approval ratings are also at a record
low...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16072&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16072

The Enemy Responds
Phil Toler, Axis of Logic
...A tempting metaphor to depict the United States is a hopeless alcoholic
uncle who can print his own money to fuel his addiction, but it is worse
than that. Far better are the first three steel framed buildings in history
to be destroyed by fire collapsing in free fall on September 11, 2001. On
the surface, they appeared to be the epitome of symbols for American wealth
and know how. They housed businesses that generated millions of dollars,
and scores of government a! gencies like the FBI, SEC, and so on. Yet
though they enjoyed a wide no-fly zone around them, it was penetrated by
aircraft supposedly piloted by crazed Arabs which impacted two of the
buildings, and allegedly brought them down in free fall. The third, WTC 7,
fell in exactly the same way though it wasn’t damaged at all. The
conventional wisdom was created by a passport found near the buildings that
was purported to belong to one of the ‘hijackers’, as absurd as that seems
today, and phone calls that identified the ‘hijackers’ as Middle Eastern,
which is no less absurd...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16070&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16070

Al-Sadr Official Says Staged Bombings Aimed at Starting Ethnic War
Aangirfan/London Telegraph
...Abdel Hadi al-Daraji, Moqtada al-Sadr's top official in the sprawling
Sadr City slums of Baghdad, told The Daily Telegraph that Britain was
plotting to start an ethnic war by carrying out mass-casualty bombings
targeting Shia civilians and then blaming the attacks on Sunni Arab groups.
"Everyone knows the occupiers' agenda," insisted Mr Daraji, who is
currently the only Mahdi army official authorised to speak directl! y on
Sadr's behalf. "They are in bed with Mossad [the Israeli intelligence
service] and their intention is to keep Iraq an unstable battlefield so
they can exploit their interests in Iraq"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16069&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16069

Iran and the Invention of a Nuclear Crisis
Part I of a Three Part Series
Siddharth Varadarajan, Globaresearch.ca
BARELY TWO years after the United States invaded Iraq in the name of
weapons of mass destruction which never existed, the world is being pushed
towards a confrontation with Iran on a similarly flawed premise. On
September 17, Iran's President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told the United Nations
General Assembly that his country would not give up its sovereign right to
produce nuclear power using ind! igenously enriched uranium. The Nuclear
Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT), which Iran signed in 1974, allows Iran to
build facilities involving all aspects of the nuclear fuel cycle, including
enrichment, subject to international safeguards...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16062&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16062

Available Light
Chris Floyd
...Like the war in Iraq, the "reconstruction" of the Gulf Coast is just
another monstrous flood of sewage and corruption, churning through lives
and communities for one purpose only: the aggrandizement of the Bush
faction and its elitist kind. The suffering of many thousands -- and the
goodwill and hard work of many others -- will be ruthlessly turned to the
advantage of the mighty few. The political filth will rise, blocking out
the pointless beauty, the river of light that should be ! our reality...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16060&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16060

Where Dwells the Enemy?
Zdzislaw Zmijewski, Axis of Logic Columnist
..."Terrorism" is a tactic, not an enemy to be vanquished by War. War
itself is the debauched revelry of terror. To destroy terrorism with
terrorism is an oxymoronic paradox. It is beyond belief that millions of
intellectuals and academic scholars and their like have bought the
sham…rather… they have sold out for 30 pieces of silver.Virtually all the
major terror attacks are State initiated, sponsored, fabricated and for the
benefit of the War Ma! chines - especially 9/11...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16058&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16058

From Baghdad to New Orleans*
Jess Ghannam, Axis of Logic
We are facing an important historical moment and this moment must be
confronted with clarity, vision, and purposeful action. Events in the world
are rapidly changing and our ability to put them in a political context is
critical. This political context and analysis must allow us to make
connections among events that, on the surface, appear not to be connected.
The occupation of Iraq and the devastation in New Orleans, for example, are
deeply linked and unle! ss we understand these connections we will be
lost...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16056&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16056

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Thursday, 22 September 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. ( http://www.freearabvoice.org )
The correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam in Tall ‘Afar, whose reports have
been among the few to break through the US-imposed blockade on the city was
found murdered in his house Thursday morning. Salim Tu‘mah Khattab
al-Jabburi, 25, submitted the report two days ago on Tuesday, 20 September,
that was the basis for the st! ory “Civilians continue to die as American
offensive on Tall ‘Afar grinds on. Thus far 72 children and 53 women have
been killed, medical sources report” (...) Salim’s relatives blamed the
murder on the Shi‘i sectarian Badr Brigades, whose forces joined the US
military during their invasion of Iraq in the spring of 2003...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16055&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16055

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.