[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 07 Jul 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Condemned to Relive the Past
Ken Sanders, www.dissidentvoice.org
...In Iraq, U.S.-backed counterinsurgency groups are engaging in the same
practices of kidnapping, torture, and murder that were employed in
Guatemala and El Salvador. With each passing day in Iraq, more and more
bodies of suspected insurgents are turning up exhibiting clear signs of
torture and summary execution. Take, for instance, the case of Hassan
an-Ni'ami, a suspected terrorist. As reported in The Observer, an-Ni'ami
was abducted in May by I! raqi police commandos (to great televised
fanfare) twelve hours before his mutilated body turned up at the morgue. He
had been hung from handcuffs until his hands and wrists became swollen.
There were burn marks and welts covering his torso...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13475&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13475

TomDispatch - Tomgram: Chalmers Johnson on Robbing the Cradle of Civilization
Tom Engelhardt & Chalmers Johnson
Another successful landmark has been reached in our occupation of Iraq: The
World Monuments Fund has just placed the country on its list of the Earth's
100 most endangered sites. ("Widespread looting, military occupation,
artillery fire, vandalism, and other acts of violence are devastating Iraq,
long considered the cradle of human civilization.") This is the first time
that the Fund has ever put a who! le nation on its list and so represents a
singular accomplishment for the Bush administration, which knew not -- and
cared less -- what it wrought. The destruction began as Baghdad fell...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13471&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13471

From Iraq To The G8
The Polite Crushing Of Dissent And Truth
John Pilger, ZNet
Over the past two weeks, the contrast between two related "global" events
has been salutary. The first was the World Tribunal on Iraq held in
Istanbul; the second the G8 meeting in Scotland and the Make Poverty
History campaign. Reading the papers and watching television in Britain,
you would know nothing about the Istanbul meetings, which produced the most
searing evidence to date of the greatest political scandal of modern
times:! the attack on a defenceless Iraq by America and Britain. The
tribunal is a serious international public inquiry into the invasion and
occupation, the kind governments dare not hold...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13469&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13469

One Soldier’s Fight to Legalize Morality
Monica Benderman, Democracy Rising
On July 28, 2005, in a small non-descript courtroom on Ft. Stewart,
Georgia, a Courts Martial is scheduled to begin. Again. One Army NCO who
decided that he had no choice but to make a conscious choice NOT to return
to war is being put on trial for caring about humanity. This soldier
fulfilled his commitment, he kept his promise to his enlisted contract, and
when ordered to deploy to Iraq at the start of the invasion, he went, not
because! he wanted to "kill Iraqis" or "destroy terrorist cells," but
because he wanted the soldiers he served with to come home safely. He
returned knowing that war is wrong, the most dehumanizing creation of
humanity that exists...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13468&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13468

A Letter of Condolence
Anwaar Hussain
I write this on my own behalf and on behalf of innumerable others who share
my feelings. I offer my heartfelt condolences to the bereaved of the
innocent victims of the London bombing. This note is the hardest to write
for I am at a loss to express my deep sympathy and profound sorrow in a way
that can bring comfort to the near and dear ones of the blameless victims
of the London bombing attacks. To overcome this difficulty, I will say what
I truly feel (...) I can and I will! say to them that like all other
victims--be they from Baghdad, Kabul or London--they are in our thoughts
and prayers and that our love is with them, that we feel their tragedy and
that our profound respects are for them and theirs...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13480&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13480

Criminal Intent, Illegal Wars, Gangsta Plots: Why the Bush/Blair Gang will
be tried for war crimes
Edward Teague, I'n'I
...The above little noticed visit by one of the self confessed neo-cons,
whose mission and vision were still a guilty little secret unknown outside
the Beltway, was doing his best to drum up support for US refusal to
recognise the International Criminal Court. Few criminals decide they don't
recognise the courts jurisidiction in advance of committing the crime.
Proof, if it were needed, of the w! icked and criminal intention to
illegally invade and occupy Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13473&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13473

Tony’s New Resolve
Kurt Nimmo, Another day in the empire
Now that multiple bombs have gone off in London, Tony Blair will have no
choice but to talk about terrorism and Iraq, as the two are irrevocably
bound together. Attending the G8 neolib confab (or conspiracy conclave) in
Gleneagles, Scotland, Blair has focused on Africa and the environment,
anything but the Iraq occupation and his servility to the Bushcons, a
growing source of unpopularity and condemnation, especially with the
Downing Street Minutes revelati! ons and the obvious fact Bush and Blair
lied their countries into an illegal and immoral invasion and occupation...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13462&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13462

The Message from the London Bombings
Kim Petersen, www.dissidentvoice.org
... The London bombings are terrorism and as such the actions are
deplorable. But terrorism is terrorism no matter who is carrying it out.
The numerous bombs, cruise missiles, cluster bombs, and napalm rained down
on Iraqi civilians is no less terrorism and the horror and mayhem
experienced by Iraqis no less than that experienced by Londoners. Western
leaders who refuse to deplore and denounce the terrorism of the western
world carry litt! le moral dignity in condemning the London bombings...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13474&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13474

No Crocodile Tears Over Current Episode of Anonymous News Sources
Stan Moore, MMN
...If the suspicions of Ms. Plame's husband prove to be correct, Karl Rove,
engaged in political payback of the lowest order in revealing state secrets
about Ms. Plame's employment in government service. Protecting Karl Rove as
an anonymous source creates journalistic sleaze or a form of
"embedded-ness" between mainstream journalists and muckraking, lawbreaking
political operatives. The news that Novak and Cooper and Miller told sho!
uld NEVER have been told. There was and is no journalistic merit in that
news and there should be no sympathy for these people going to jail in
order to protect their disreputable source. They should all be in jail
together -- with Mr. Rove...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13466&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13466

The Message of Terror
London's Burning
GILAD ATZMON, CounterPunch
We are used to seeing images of horrors from the Iraqi capital. For most
Londoners and Britons, those images are nothing more than a remote call
from a foreign country. Somehow, most of us have managed to forget that it
is basically our government who is responsible for the continued horror in
Iraq. Today's images of horror are coming from London, seemingly, Baghdad
and London appear to share a very similar fate...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13465&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13465

It's Up to the Anti-War Movement to Restrain the Thirst for More Revenge
Message from London
MIKE MARQUSEE, CounterPunch
This morning, the suffering, grief and terror that have visited so many
innocents in recent years came to London. We have not paid the kind of
price that people have paid in Fallujah, Najaf or Jenin, but it is a steep
price nonetheless. And its root causes are the same. The bomb blasts were
grimly predictable. Indeed, they had been widely and repeatedly predicted -
not least by rank! -and-file Londoners, who knew that by taking Britain
into Iraq side-by-side with the USA, Tony Blair had placed their city in
the firing line...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13464&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13464

From "Pariah" to "St. Judy"
The Luckiest Martyr
ALEXANDER COCKBURN and JEFFREY ST. CLAIR, CounterPunch
Is there ever anyone luckier than Judy Miller! All last year she was
pilloried as the prime saleslady for the imaginary WMDs that offered the
prime pretext for the invasion of Iraq. Although it refused to denounce her
by name the New York Times publicly castigated itself for poor reporting,
and Miller's career seemed to be at an end, except for the occasional
excursion to CNN studios for tete a tetes ! with Larry King. But then came
a glimmer of hope...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13463&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13463

American Militarism, Part 2: On Celebrating Militaristic Nationalism
Evan Augustine Peterson III, J.D, OrbStandard
...I hope a sea-change is occurring. That the day might be dawning when the
American people finally wake up, and let their government know that they've
had enough. We can tell them with our votes that we've finally had ENOUGH
of their bloodthirsty militarism; ENOUGH of their depraved global empire of
more than 6,725 military bases; ENOUGH of their extravagant expenditures on
the endless overkill of s! uperfluous hi-tech weaponry; and ENOUGH of their
obscenely-bloated defense budgets! It's up to us. It's our watch now. We're
freedom's flamekeepers. Dark storm clouds are approaching swiftly on the
horizon. If we don't tell our leaders "Enough!", a severe challenge could
emerge soon...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13458&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13458

Letter from A Veteran
Orb Standard
Bush refuses to do anything constructive about Global Warming because it
will hurt Oil Companies profits if Bush does. Over the past 2 years Bush
has blown $300 Billion on the the Iraq War that he lied to get America into
and in which over 100,000 innocent people including 1746 American Troops
have been killed because of Bush's Lies. By the time the US gets out of
Iraq America will have wasted over 1 Trillion Dollars on the War Bush
Caused...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13457&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13457

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Wednesday, 6 July 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. http://www.freearabvoice.org
The Iraqi Resistance bombs staged a two-pronged attack on a US column at
the eastern approaches to the city of al-Hadithah, 250km west of Baghdad at
noon Wednesday. Witnesses told the al-Hadithah correspondent for Mafkarat
al-Islam that an Iraqi Resistance bomb exploded by a US armored column at
the eastern entrance to the city, di! sabling one American armored vehicle
at 12 noon local time Wednesday...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13450&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13450

Iraq to launch military co-operation with Iran
Aljazeera.com
Iraq's Defense Minister, on a historic visit to Iran, said that both
countries decided to launch a broad military co-operation. "We have come
here to turn a painful page and to open another," Saadun al-Dulaimi said
Thursday at a joint new conference in Tehran with his Iranian counterpart
Ali Shamkhani (...) Dulaimi said that the two neighbors will launch
military and "anti-terrorist" co-operation, but he also asserted that it
was still too soon for the ! U.S. to leave his country. Diplomatic
relations between the two countries have improved greatly since the 2003
U.S.-led invasion of Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13479&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13479

Shiite Morality Is Taking Hold in Iraq Oil Port
EDWARD WONG, NYTimes
...Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim, the head of Sciri, praised that proposal on a visit
to Basra in June. Arriving in a convoy from Iran, he said Iraq -
particularly the south - could benefit from closer ties to its Shiite
neighbor. "The great Islamic Republic has a very formidable government," he
said at a news conference. "It can be very useful to us, and it has a very
honorable attitude toward Iraq." But even in the south, many people still
distrust Iran! and political parties linked to it. Nearly one million
people died in the eight-year Iran-Iraq war, which started in 1980 over
control of the Shatt al-Arab, the waterway here that flows into the Persian
Gulf...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13478&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13478

Binyamin’s Warning
Kurt Nimmo
I know, this will be considered anti-Semitic, as the truth often is, but…
over at Arutz Sheva, pegged as Israel’s national news site, it was reported
earlier today that the “Israeli Embassy in London was notified in advance
[of the London bombings], resulting in Finance Minister Binyamin Netanyahu
remaining in his hotel room rather than make his way to the hotel adjacent
to the site of the first explosion, a Liverpool Street train station, where
he was to address and economic summit.! ”...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13477&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13477

Iraqi police open fire on 1,000 demonstrators
Breakingnews.i
Police opened fire on 1,000 demonstrators today at the seat of the
provincial government in Saddam Hussein’s hometown who were protesting the
killing of the local council’s head official, authorities said. At least
four were wounded. The protesters demanded the resignation of the deputy
governor and police chief because they believe their clan was responsible
for yesterday’s killing of Ali Ghalib Ibrahim, who belongs to a rival clan,
Mayor Wael Ibrahim ! Ali said...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13472&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13472

Anti-war group calls for unity Sept. 24
Workers World
The following statement is from the Troops Out Now Coalition (TONC) in
support of a Sept. 24 anti-war protest in Washington, D.C. A Sept. 24
coalition, initiated by the ANSWER coalition, also includes TONC, National
Council of Arab-Americans, Haiti Support Network, Alliance for a Just and
Lasting Peace in the Philippines, Muslim American Society (MAS) Freedom
Foundation and National Lawyers Guild. Some of the Sept. 24 demands are:
“Stop the war in Iraq—Bring t! he troops home now! End colonial occupation
from Iraq to Haiti to Palestine and everywhere!”...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13461&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13461

The cost of war
Workers World
As people came down to the beach near the Santa Monica pier on the weekend
of July 4, looking for a day of fun in the sun, they were reminded of the
human cost of war. Veterans for Peace and Topanga Peace Alliance, along
with countless other volunteers, had put up 1,745 symbols representing the
U.S. soldiers who have died needlessly in the war in Iraq. Every weekend
these groups put up crosses, stars and moons to represent the dead
soldiers, so many of them fresh-faced young people o! f color...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13460&s2=08>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13460

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.