[uruknet] - NL 30 June - Part Two

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

More on Jeffrey Goldberg
Xymphora
...We'll never know what happened at Halabja, which means we'll never know
who was responsible for the death of the Kurds. What is clear is that this
episode is part of a Kurdish, and almost certainly Zionist, propaganda war
against Saddam. Jeffrey Goldberg is the main sprayer of the gas on the
Halabja poison gas story, one of the first to make an explicit Saddam-al
Qaeda connection, a guy that Douglas Feith feels comfortable speaking to,
and the author of an amazing whitewash on! the AIPAC/Israel spy scandal...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13256&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13256

The intelligent American position
Xymphora
...There are some big problems with the intelligent American position. He
overstates the value of the things the Americans have done right (the
schools and hospitals are a mess, and he has the good sense not to even
mention the outrageous electricity and water/sewage situations), doesn't
seem to understand that the evidence in the 'mass' graves is highly
problematic from the point of view of proving that Saddam was as bad as he
is officially supposed to have been, neglec! ts to mention that internal
Pentagon planning documents covered all the issues before the war and were
simply ignored by Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz, and pretends not to notice that
many of the problems in Iraq may be the intentional work of the neocons
attempting to keep Iraq as weak as possible...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13255&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13255

WE ALMOST PULLED IT OFF
Malcom Lagauche
...We were to wrestle five times in one week: in Baghdad and surrounding
areas, such as Fallujah. The matches would be free of charge for the
spectators. The final event would be in Iraq’s national stadium that seated
about 100,000 people (...) Then, the news started changing. More and more
missile attacks in the "no-fly zone" were occurring. More civilians were
being killed. The talk of war was increasing (...) The beautiful stadium in
which we were to have held the grand ! finale of the tour in Baghdad is no
longer in use. U.S. tanks destroyed it in 2003 when they used it as a
permanent parking lot. Today, it is a mass of ruts and holes. And, the
soccer stadium in Fallujah where we would have performed, is now a mass
graveyard. During the U.S. attack on the city in April 2004, more than 600
civilians were killed and the stadium had to be converted to a burial
ground...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13259&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13259

US misled UK over Iraq fire bombs
Richard Norton-Taylor,The Guardian
The government was asked yesterday to explain why the US failed to tell it
the truth about use on Iraq of incendiary bombs, successors to the napalm
used in Vietnam.The MoD repeatedly denied Mark 77 incendiary bombs were
dropped, on the basis of US assurances. Defence secretary John Reid now
says the assurances, made to predecessor Geoff Hoon, were wrong and he
"must correct the position"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13258&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13258

Secret air campaign against Iraq?
Downing Street memo, other documents may show war really started earlier
than March 2003
Tom Regan | csmonitor.com
Most American media have focused on the allegations from the Downing Street
memo that the Bush administration was going to "fix" the intelligence in
order to justify the war against Iraq. Now the reporter who broke the
original story says they have missed a more substantial allegation to arise
from the same set of leaked documents. Michael Smith, ! defense writer for
the Sunday Times of London wrote this past Sunday that "The American
general who commanded allied air forces during the Iraq war appears to have
admitted in a briefing to American and British officers that coalition
aircraft waged a secret air war against Iraq from the middle of 2002, nine
months before the invasion began"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13257&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13257

Kucinich: New Urgency to bipartisan efforts to pass "Homeward Bound" Resolution
Dennis Kucinich, Bellaciao
...H.J. Res. 55 is an opportunity to rally the nation around a bipartisan
plan to bring the troops home. It requires the Administration to "develop
and implement a plan for the withdrawal of United States Armed Forces from
Iraq." Its original cosponsors are Walter Jones (R-NC), Neil Abercrombie,
(D-HI), Ron Paul (R-TX), Marty Meehan (D-MA), Lynn Woolsey (D-CA), Barbara
Lee (D-CA) and myself. The bill, entitl! ed "Homeward Bound", requires the
Administration to announce not later than December 31, 2005 a plan to
withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq, and to begin bringing our troops home not
later than October 1, 2006. This will be the beginning of the end of the
war in Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13260&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13260

'To abandon Viet Nam would be wrong' — Text of speech by President Lyndon
Johnson, delivered April 7, 1965
SmirkingChimp.com
...We will not be defeated. We will not grow tired. We will not withdraw,
either openly or under the cloak of a meaningless agreement. We hope that
peace will come swiftly. But that is in the hands of others besides
ourselves. And we must be prepared for a long continued conflict. It will
require patience as well as bravery, the will to endure as well as the will
to resist...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13249&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13249

Children, too, are abused in U.S. prisons
Arlie Hochschild, The New York Times
...Under international law, the line between childhood and maturity is 18.
In communications with Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, the
Pentagon has lowered the cutoff to 16. For this reason among others, we
don't know exactly how many Iraqi children are in American custody. But
before the transfer of sovereignty to an Iraqi interim government a year
ago, the International Committee of the Red Cross reported registering 10!
7 detainees under 18 during visits to six prisons controlled by coalition
troops. Some detainees were as young as 8. Since that time, Human Rights
Watch reports that the number has risen.

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13247&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13247

Thousands of Karabila residents return
Report, IRIN, 30 June 2005
Thousands of residents are gradually returning to the town of Karabila, 325
km west of the capital, Baghdad, after fleeing a heavy US-led attack two
weeks ago but for many there is little to go back to (...) "I couldn't find
anything left of my house. It has been totally destroyed and my family has
become homeless and dependent on humanitarian support," said Salua
Ibraheem, 42, a Karabila resident who had her home completely destroyed...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13251&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13251

FORTUNATE SON
New York Press
"With supreme guts and righteousness, President Bush went into Iraq," Gov.
Pataki told the Republican National Convention last August. The place
erupted with applause. It was all very stirring. Almost one year later,
Pataki's son Teddy is, with supreme guts and righteousness, seeking a
three-year law school deferment from the Marines, which last week
commissioned the recent Yale grad as a second lieutenant...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13242&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13242

Ranks Plagued by Infiltrators
Patrick J. McDonnell, The Los Angeles Times
...But it is feared that rebels have a stealthy presence among those
forces. Infiltration was a specialty of Saddam Hussein's security
apparatus, and officials say many recent cases were directed by so-called
former regime elements - FRE in military parlance. "We believe part of the
FRE strategy is to infiltrate the security forces with elements under their
control and to get them into positions of influence," Army Lt. Gen. John R.
Vines, ! commander of the Multinational Corps, said in an interview here...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13254&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13254

Tomgram: Paul Loeb on Dying for One's Country
Tom Engelhardt & Paul Rogat Loeb
...For me, "supporting our troops" has a very particular meaning. It had
the same meaning in the Vietnam era (which is why, to this day, visiting
the Vietnam Wall leaves me filled with sadness and with anger because we
were unable to bring our boys home before all those names mounted up). If
you support the policies of an administration, then you naturally support
the mission of our troops and so whatever they are doing. If not, then y!
ou don't want another unneeded death to occur and the only way to truly
support our troops is to work hard -- in the case of Iraq with growing
numbers of angry military people and military family members -- to bring
them home...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13253&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13253

Listening to the Stories of Others
Greg Rollins, Electronic Iraq
...One Iraqi businesswoman spent a month in a U.S. detention facility
before the U.S. found her innocent of any anti-Coalition activity. Another
woman said she lost four young children in U.S. raids on her apartment
complex. One ten year-old boy bore a scar along the left side of his scalp
where his mother said a bullet entered his head and stopped behind his left
eye. She said he could no longer see out of it. She said U.S. soldiers shot
him and th! at the surgery he needs to fix his sight cannot be done in
Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13250&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13250

Hannity Says Pre-9/11 Iraq Invasion Plan A Conspiracy Theory
Prison Planet
...It's also a conspiracy theory, going by Hannity's line of logic, that
the sun came up this morning. Bush's own biographer, Mickey Herskowitz,
said that Bush wanted to invade Iraq in 1999. He attributed the following
quote to Bush. "One of the keys to being seen as a great leader is to be
seen as a commander-in-chief. My father had all this political capital
built up when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted it. If I have
! a chance to invade, if I had that much capital, I'm not going to waste
it. I'm going to get everything passed that I want to get passed and I'm
going to have a successful presidency."...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13245&s2=01>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13245

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.