[uruknet] - NL 28 June - Part Two

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

American Style "Democratization"
Ghali Hassan, www.globalresearch.ca
...The US invaded and occupied Iraq because: 1. Iraq was a defenceless
nation, destroyed by 13-years long genocidal sanctions and constant
US-British bombing campaigns. 2. Iraq is a resources-rich and strategically
vital nation, and 3. Iraq was and could be a formidable counter to Israel’s
Zionist expansion. Hence, Iraq was the preferred target for the soon to be
US president long before the 9/11 attacks on the US. Also by attacking
Iraq, the US! intended to send a bullying message to other nations (...)
The war perpetuated by the Anglo-American axis have caused the death of
hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians, destroyed the Iraqi
state and the fabric of the Iraqi society. Tens of thousands of innocent
Iraqi men, women and children as young as 12 years old, are languishing in
hundreds of US-run prison camps and subject to unrestrained torture and
abuse by US forces...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13174&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13174

The Vietnam Solution
Robert Dreyfuss, Tompaine.com
Comparisons between the wars in Vietnam and Iraq are coming fast and
furious now, so let's consider one more. There is an apt parallel between
the way we got out of Vietnam and the way that we will get out of
Iraq—sooner or later. Public opinion is turning sharply against the war,
even though mainstream Democrats and most Republicans are mostly sticking
with the victory-in-Iraq strategy. The conditions in Iraq and here at home
are strikingly similar to those we s! aw surrounding Vietnam at the end of
the Johnson administration (...) Once again, it is obvious to all—again,
including our intelligence agencies—that the war in Iraq is lost. Once
again, like the Tet Offensive, the recent wave of bloody assaults across
Iraq has made it clear that the resistance, far from being in its "last
throes," is not being defeated...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13180&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13180

Bush's Speech: Let's Count the Lies
David Swanson
"Terrorists on streets of Baghdad are followers of the same ideology," Bush
said, that produced the attacks of – you guessed it – September 11, 2001.
But – do we really still have to say this? – the regime that Bush changed
in Iraq had exactly nothing to do with those attacks (...)."We fight
today," Bush said tonight, "because the terrorists want to attack our
cities and kill our citizens, and Iraq is where they are making their
stand. We will fight them there, an! d we will stay in the fight until the
fight is won." So, the disaster that Bush has created in Iraq is now the
justification for having created it. But who is this universal group of
"terrorists" fighting this global war?

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13183&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13183

BUSH WAS WARNED BY GENERALS NOT TO "STAY THE COURSE"
Grace Reid
We found the smoking bullet in the smoking gun of the Downing Street Memos,
that being the massive pre-war bombing campaign intended to provoke Saddam
into war. Now here is the “massive intelligence failure." Bush and Rumsfeld
had the intelligence and it came from the Pentagon. But they failed to read
it, and they failed to understand it. George Bush himself is the “massive
intelligence failure.” This following is one you can bank on. It is the !
Pentagon's own Defence Science Board Report Strategic Communications,
December 2004...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13184&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13184

Iraq warns of refugee disaster in al-Qaim
UPI
Iraq's health ministry is warning of a human refugee disaster as thousands
of families flee the Iraqi city of al-Qaim, an Arab newspaper reported
Tuesday.
The United Arab Emirates' al-Khaleej daily newspaper quoted Iraq's deputy
health minister Jalil al-Shammari as warning of starvation among the
refugees who fled and continue to flee al-Qaim and surrounding areas to
avoid massive U.S. military operations against suspected insurgents (...)
U.S. and Iraqi forces have banned ambulances and humanitarian aid from
entering al-Qaim city, and most of the refugees are suffering from a
shortage of food, water and medicine, al-Shammari said...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13182&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13182

Those "Meetings" with Insurgents
More Rumsfeld Lies
MIKE WHITNEY, CounterPunch
...When Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld made his scheduled appearances on
the Sunday morning talk shows he confirmed that the alleged meetings had
taken place saying, "Well, the first thing I would say about the meetings
is they go on all the time." Later, he would reinforce this suggestion on
Meet the Press when he was asked whether there had been "two meetings
between Iraqi and U.S. officials and some members of the insu! rgency."
Rumsfeld responded, "I think there have probably been many more than that."
It was all lies...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13165&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13165

Tomgram: The Immoral Relativists of the Bush Administration
Tom Engelhardt
...Let's throw in just a few other moments of high Bush postmodernism: No
administration in memory has been quicker to lie in its own interests and
never stop doing so, no matter what. (For instance, to this day the
President never ceases to push the absurd link between the war in Iraq and
the September 11th attacks). None in recent memory has been quicker to lie
about or smear its opponents, or had, in political hand-to-hand combat, a
nas! tier, sometimes filthier mouth, publicly (as Karl Rove proved in
recent statements) or privately...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13179&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13179

Twelve more years
Pepe Escobar
If only those "axis of evil" fellas were a little more ... cooperative. In
Iraq, the Sunni Arab resistance insists on being on a roll, thus disturbing
the Pentagon's plans of quietly building its 14 military bases. In Iran,
the new game has not even started, but Tehran and Washington are already at
each other's throats...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13178&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13178

The Last Throes
The Light at the End of the Tunnel
Jack Random, www.dissidentvoice.org
...We are not losing the war; we have lost it. Any member of Congress who
does not join the cry for immediate withdrawal (even as we negotiate with
the insurgent leaders) must feel the pangs of popular uprising. You are in
the last throes of your reign. We must not allow the party of opposition to
offer up a softer version of pro-war. If the occupation is not over by the
midterm elections, there is only one issue an! d it is not social security.
As the weeks roll by and the body counts rise, the last throes seem more
and more like the light at the end of the tunnel and the light at the end
of the tunnel appears more and more like a desert mirage. Iraq is Vietnam.
Look it up in the history books...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13177&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13177

Iraq needs $15bn to fix water supply
Aljazeera.net
...Liqaa Maki, an Iraq analyst, told Aljazeera.net that the Iraqi
government and foreign donors must share the blame for water shortages. "In
over half the cities and towns in Iraq there hasn't been a single explosion
in more than two years, but in these places there are still major
problems," he said. "The fact is that we are just not seeing any real
investment in the water infrastructure (...) How can the government blame
the resistance for these problems when ! it is obviously a result of bad
management and a lack of investment?"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13172&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13172

Iraq needs $15bn to fix water supply
Aljazeera.net
...Liqaa Maki, an Iraq analyst, told Aljazeera.net that the Iraqi
government and foreign donors must share the blame for water shortages. "In
over half the cities and towns in Iraq there hasn't been a single explosion
in more than two years, but in these places there are still major
problems," he said. "The fact is that we are just not seeing any real
investment in the water infrastructure (...) How can the government blame
the resistance for these problems when ! it is obviously a result of bad
management and a lack of investment?"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13173&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13173

ZERO HOUR June 28, 2005; 8PM EST
Grace Reid
...When reckoning the cost of the illegal war in Iraq, we count 1,700 US
killed in action, more than 25,000 Iraqi civilians killed, and a cost to US
taxpayers of something to the tune of $200 Billion. But there are more
costs people don't consider, especially the American people. But there are
some other costs. Ireland pays 10,000 Euros a day for military overflights.
Ireland has paid grandly for the US use of Shannon Airport for its illegal
CIA torture flights -- in! complete violation of our neutrality...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13175&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13175

EU Parliamentarians' inquiry regarding credibility of Iraq elections - update
peacepalestine
...The comment of EU Parliamentarian Giulietto Chiesa to the response of
the Council to the Written Interrogation – 8 June: The Council is
“gladdened”, but does not respond to the questions. And, when it does
respond, it does so by lying. It is easy to comprehend that whoever has
written the response would like to say that those elections were approved
of very much, despite the fact that they were incompatible with! any of the
parameters of validity that the European Union usually applies to
elections. Then, despite the evidence, and of any sense of decency,
stretches so far as to affirm that the elections were “in conformance” to
international norms. It is significant that there was no precise response
even to the specific matter of the 31.5 million Euro financed for the false
electoral campaign...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13185&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13185

Election of Ahmadinejad Custom-Made for Neocons
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
For the Straussian neocons, the election of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Iran is
Christmas in June. It firms up their argument that the country is trapped
in a mullah-instigated vapor-lock and in order for “democracy” (i.e.,
neocons and neolib carpet-baggers allowed to make the country
Israel-friendly and turn off the oil burglar alarms) to prevail, invasion
(or shock and awe) is the only choice, since we all know Iran’s mullahs are
o! bsessive-compulsive on the idea of stocking nukes. However, as William
O. Beeman points out, attacking Iran, as the attack against Iraq, will be
no cakewalk...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13168&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13168

We are Mujahideen for the sake of our nation.
The Mujahideen Army General Headquarters - ICH
We confirm to you, as well as the generally known media which as usual herd
behind what comes out from these war criminals and these liars by
profession. They lie so often that it has become the diseases, which with
god's will, bring their end. We have not entered in any negotiations with
the occupiers or anyone who represent them or the puppet government...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13167&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13167

Iraqi Resistance Says It Will Not Negotiate With Occupation Forces
The Mujahideen Central Command - ICH
...In the name of all the factions that fight under our command, we declare
to you, that we did not in the past present or the future, and will not sit
on the negotiating table with the American Occupation forces or war
criminal representatives. We also declare: That we did not conduct any
negotiations with any person, party or group which either came with the
occupying forces or claims to represent the vision ! of the Iraqi people...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13166&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13166

Iraq lawmaker, 2 US troops killed as Bush to speak
Peter Graff, Reuters
Suicide bombers assassinated a prominent member of the Iraqi parliament and
killed two U.S. soldiers on Tuesday ahead of a speech by President George
W. Bush to rally Americans behind an increasingly unpopular war. Bush was
expected to mark a year since Washington formally handed over sovereignty
to Iraqis by calling on Americans to stay the course in a speech to the
nation surrounded by troops at Fort Bragg, North Carolina...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13170&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13170

Only 34% of Americans Say U.S. Is Winning Iraq War
Bloomberg
Only about a third of Americans say they think the U.S. and its allies are
winning the war against insurgents in Iraq, the lowest level yet, according
to a poll by Gallup for USA Today and Cable News Network. Just 34 percent
of Americans say the coalition is winning the war against an insurgency
whose attacks have claimed more than 1,000 lives since Iraqi Prime Minister
Ibrahim al-Jaafari on April 28 named members of his cabinet. That's down
from 43 per! cent in February, and the lowest out of four times the
question has been asked since October. Poll data was published on the
Gallup web site...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13171&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13171

Halliburton's Abusive Practices in Iraq Are in the Spotlight
AFP
Democrats allege that the US oil services giant Halliburton, the biggest
private contractor in Iraq, used its buddy relationship with the Pentagon
to run up more than 1.4 billion dollars (1.15 billlion euros) in
questionable charges. The Democrats released a report in the House of
Representatives alleging that low-quality service, overbilling and
questionable contracts were among Halliburton's many abuses...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13176&s2=29>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13176

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.