[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 14 Mar 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë"Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

WORLD TRIBUNAL ON IRAQ
PORTUGUESE HEARING
(LISBON, 18, 19 and 20 March 2005)
TRIBUNAL-IRAQUE
...Through the exposure of the irregularities and crimes committed by the
invaders, the creation of this World Tribunal on Iraq intends to contribute
to the mobilization of public opinion towards a fair and peaceful solution
for Iraq, which involves as a precondition the withdrawal of the occupants.
Nevertheless ultimately it will only be the Iraqi people that can defeat
the invaders. One must acknowledge ! that the Iraqi resistance has been
heroic considering the disproportion of the forces and of military
technology between both sides. Only a generalized and firm popular support
could have sustained such a determined and widespread resistance. The
occupants try to "demonize" the resistance, labeling as "terrorism" any
action of armed resistance to the occupation, as if it were not the
legitimate response. The right to insurrection is recognized by
international law and assists a nation dispossessed of its sovereignty and
subjected to a foreign military invasion and occupation expected to be of
long duration...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10370&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10370

ORDER 81
The Ecologist - Comedonchisciotte.net
...I contadini iracheni sono stati fatti vassalli delle corporation
americane. Il fatto di aver cotto pane per 9.500 anni prima che l'America
esistesse non ha alcun peso quando si tratta di decidere a chi appartiene
il grano iracheno. Eppure per ogni contadino che smette di crescere la sua
unica specie di semente conservata, il mondo perde un'altra varietà, la
quale sarebbe stata potenzialmente utile in tempo di malattia o siccità. In
breve ciò che l'America ha fatto! non è stato ristrutturare l'agricoltura
irachena, ma smantellarla...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10371&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10371

"Calipari may have been a target. Conflicts among secret services are not
just spy stories"
Alessandro Cardulli, Aprile - Zabrinskypoint.org
"Let me tell you a real story about secret services". This how our talk
with Giulietto Chiesa begins, a member of European Parliament, a journalist
who knows very well who's who in the village of several countries, Iraq not
least, where he recently visited Basra, Nassirija, and other places. "This
story happened in Chechnya, but it could happen in any country where the
secre! t services have pitched their camp. Everywhere there are two-way
infiltrations, I infiltrate you, you infiltrate me...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10372&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10372

Enemy of the Sun
Sami A. Al-Arian
...Sami's trial is coming soon, and there is very little support. I was
with him 12 hours before he was arrested, and was given a poem, written by
him that day. To my knowledge I have the only copy. I offer this little
intro and poem to you, if you think it will help - not harm his visibility.
I trust your judgment and have never talked about, nor shared this.. But I
am very concerned about what is and will be done to him, his family, and
this insidious silencing of all good men ! who dare to take a stance
against the Zionist onslaught...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10368&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10368

Tony Blair is not learning his lesson
Ibrahim Ebeid, Al-Moharer
The democracy and freedom that President Bush and his colleague Tony Blair
are exporting to the Arab nation means servitude to the Anglo-Saxon-Zionist
Imperialism. This servitude was accepted by the Arab rulers in order to
maintain themselves in power and to protect themselves from the rage and
anger of the people who have chosen the freedom and democracy through the
struggle on the road of unity of the homeland (...) Gen. F.S. Maude,
commander of B! ritish forces in Iraq in 1917 described the Imperialist
army as liberators (...)Iraq was occupied and the invaders stripped its
wealth, poverty and destitution became the lot of the masses. The British
were not welcomed with flowers and roses as liberators but with bullets ad
guns as invaders and occupiers. Unfortunately, the Prime Minister of
Britain did not learn the lesson. 83 years later, he repeated the same
mistake that his ancestors did...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10376&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10376

It's Official! "Iraq Coverage Wasn't Biased"
Christian Christensen, CommonDreams.org
The Irony Ombudsman appears to have taken the day off at most US news
outlets as editors have jumped on a story from the AP entitled, "Report:
Iraq Coverage Wasn't Biased." As the notion of an "objective" and
"balanced" commercial press in the United States continues to go the way of
the Abominable Snowman, the Loch Ness Monster and Iraqi WMD, it is hardly
surprising that editors around the country salivate at the sight of a sto!
ry that appears to confirm the existence of these strange, elusive
phenomena (objectivity and balance, not WMD). The irony is that in their
desperation to run any remotely positive story about the news media, these
editors have exhibited, as they did numerous times over Iraq, an inability
to sniff out a fishy story...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10394&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10394

Anti-Pan-Arabism
Raed Jarrar, Raed in the Middle
...This was another demonstration in front of the Jordanian embassy in
Baghdad. So let me get this straight: The Iraqi fake government and the
Chalabi alliance led by bushtani didn't call for a single demonstration
when the US army killed (or caused the death of) more than 100,000 Iraqis,
but they called for two demonstrations against Jordan in a couple of days,
because of a Jordanian erson blowing himself in Hilla? Did the US
government ask people to burn the Sau! di flag after 9-11? or no no, wait,
I know... these are "spontaneous" demonstrations. Hundreds, or maybe
thousands, of Iraqis went the last couple of days driven by rage around the
main streets in Baghdad and other cities in the South like Hilla and Najaf
chanting Anti-Jordanian Anti-Arab slogans. Some of them are asking for the
immediate deportation of Arabs from Iraq. So pathetic and sad...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10392&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10392

Tariq Aziz seeks fair trial
Agence France-Presse
TARIQ Aziz, one of Saddam Hussein's jailed righthand men, has issued a
handwritten plea asking the international community to ensure he receives a
fair trial, his son said today (...) "To the world public opinion: We hope
that you will help us ... We need fair treatment, a fair investigation and
finally, a fair trial. Please help us," reads the message, a copy of which
was obtained by AFP. The note is written on the pages of his lawyer's
pocket calendar...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10388&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10388

Render unto Caesar
William Bowles
...Two stories I've come across, both of which document the kinds of
activities the US intelligence agencies are up to, are reproduced below.
The main point however, that I want to put across is that you'll search
high and low on the BBC News Website for any reference to either of these
stories, or indeed any related story. And surely one has to ask why,
especially in the light of Jack Straw's recent defence of 'rendering' (or
is it renditioning?). The Beeb's total whiteout of th! ese and other,
embarrassing exposés of the workings of the imperium are not deemed news by
the Beeb and one has to ask why the news organisation with a reputation of
'objective' reporting feels it necessary to deny its listeners and viewers
access to stories that even the US news media carry?..

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10389&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10389

Former UN weapons inspector, who worked with CIA, sees 'terminally ill'
intel operation
Former UN weapons inspector, who worked with CIA, hits neocon 'brownshirts'
Larisa Alexandrovna | RAW STORY Staff
...In part two of Raw Story's interview, Ritter elaborates his views on the
neoconservative role in governing bodies and domestic issues and a delivers
a scathing assessment of the CIA as "terminally ill." Ritter spent a good
part of the 1990s working closely with the CIA on Iraq related issues a! nd
continues to have contact with some former and current CIA staff. Prior to
this segment, Ritter sought to explain his feelings on the rationale behind
the U.S. apparent alienation of much of the Muslim world, which he
partially attributes to a domestic political gambit by the neoconservative
movement...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10390&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10390

Pilger: 'Protest on March 20!'
Pip Hinman & Ben Edwards
"On March 20, millions of people will protest across the globe against the
war in Iraq. It won't stop the war but it may, just may, deter them from
pursuing the next part of their project — to attack Iran, or possibly
Syria." This was the main message from acclaimed journalist and film-maker
John Pilger when he addressed a packed public lecture organised by Students
against War at Sydney University on March 10...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10387&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10387

New Audit Finds Halliburton Bill Problems in Iraq
Reuters
Leading U.S. defense contractor Halliburton > may have overcharged the U.S.
government by more than $100 million under a no-bid oil deal in Iraq, said
a military audit released by a Democratic lawmaker on Monday. The Defense
Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) audit, parts of which were released by
California Democrat Rep. Henry Waxman on his Web site
<http://www.democrats.reform.house.gov/, >www.democrats.reform.house.gov/,
questioned! $108 million in costs by Texas-based Halliburton unit Kellogg
Brown and Root for delivery of fuel to civilians in Iraq in 2003 and 2004...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10384&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10384

The Global Movement Against War is Spreading Like Wildfire! Become a part
of it next week on the Second Anniversary of the U.S. Invasion of Iraq!
(new mssg. and updates)
Axis of Logic Editorial Board
...Axis of Logic supports actions against the war by ALL those who demand
that the U.S. withdraw its troops immediately and unconditionally. We have
endorsed the Troops Out Now campaign which will take place March 19-20,
2003 - the second anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq. But we support
EVERY la! rge mobilisation, individual or small group anywhere that demands
an end to war and occupation. We have heard and read all the Bush regime's
excuses for continuing the occupation of Iraq (...) We have heard the
corporate press parroting the success of what we now know to be the phony
elections in Iraq. In the past two weeks we have even heard the elite
"liberals" suggest that "Maybe Bush was right!". For example, on March 10,
Noam Chomsky, "the darling of the left and the right" stated: "In Iraq, the
January elections were successful and praiseworthy." In doing so Chomsky
ignores the rights of national sovereignty and self-determination for all
people. We the people cannot, must not and will not allow the corporate
press - from left to right - to pronounce the final benediction on this
unprovoked, illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq and allow it to become
"a fact"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10385&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10385

Clearing the Way for the American Police State
Mike Whitney, www.dissidentvoice.org
The recent rash of terror warnings shows just how shoddy mainstream
journalism has really become. Every major news network in the country ran
the very same story of the "alleged" communication between Osama bin Laden
and terrorist mastermind Abu Musab al Zarqawi without producing a scintilla
of corroborating evidence. They simply flooded the newswires, airwaves and
TVs with unsubstantiated, Pentagon-inspired gibberish and left out! any
supporting facts. The clear intention was to give a boost to Bush's
flagging polling numbers, but the effort fell flat and the media's
credibility took another well-deserved hit...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10381&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10381

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Sunday, 13 March 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member editorial board The
Free Arab Voice
In another effort to prevent genuine news and information about the
situation in Iraq from reaching the outside world, US forces stormed an
Internet café in downtown ar-Ramadi at 9am local time Sunday morning.
(Iraqi puppet troops also raided internet cafés in the southern city of
al-Hillah. See story below under Babil Province; al-Hillah.) Witnesses told
Mafkarat! al-Islam that the American troops arrested 11 Iraqis who happened
to be there at the time and took them away to a nearby US military base...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10378&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10378

Deserters feel betrayed, says military veteran
Green Left Weekly'
Stan Goff, a US special forces veteran, whose son is in Iraq, is now a
campaigner with the Bring Them Home Now! movement against the US occupation
of Iraq. Here, he speaks to Green Left Weekly's Pip Hinman about the US
deserters. Why do you think there are so many deserters? "I am hesitant to
speculate, however my best educated guess is that it's a combination of the
extremely high operational tempo and the sense of horror over the r! eal
nature of this war. Many young soldiers enter military service having
bought the whole story about the US military as some liberatory force, and
the discovery of its true nature creates a traumatic sense of dislocation
and betrayal"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10375&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10375

5500 US deserters: We won't fight in Iraq
Doug Lorimer, Green Left Weekly
On February 25, US Army officials at Fort Stewart, Georgia, announced that
Sergeant Kevin Benderman, a 40-year-old army mechanic who refused to deploy
to Iraq for a second tour of duty, will be court-martialed on desertion
charges. If convicted, he faces up to seven years in prison. After having
spent 10 years in the US military, Benderman missed his unit's deployment
flight to Iraq on January 7. Ten days earlier, he had given his commande!
rs notice that he planned to seek a discharge as a conscientious objector,
saying he had become opposed to the war after having served eight months in
Iraq in 2003...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10374&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10374

This War Has Left the US Poorer, More Despised and Less Safe
Restarting the Anti-War Movement
RALPH NADER, CounterPunch
...If the peace movement had continued to advocate for an end to the war
during the presidential election year, rather than remaining silent where
would be today? We would have built on the successes of our beginnings
rather than having to start anew. We'd be nearer the end of the
war-occupation, not farther from it. President Bush would be on the
defensive, not on the offensive. Iraq! is would be seeing the light at the
end of the tunnel, when they would get their country and economy back,
rather than the darkness of continued occupation...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10373&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10373

The View from Cumberland County, North Carolina
On Revolutionary Optimism
STAN GOFF, CounterPunch
...The reality of Iraq has been particularly hard on the most idealistic of
these youngsters, and on some older troops as well. One of the interesting
things about this struggle against the occupation of Iraq are all the
comparisons being made to Vietnam, especially comparisons to the resistance
that developed against the invasion and occupation of Vietnam from inside
the military. There is resistance withi! n the military against this war,
too. But it is different in several ways...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10379&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10379

The Mystery Of The Second Sgrena Video
Dave Fryett, Countercurrents.org
...Was the video from the kidnappers and if so could their claims possibly
be true? Or were the insurgents trying to exculpate themselves in the eyes
of the world's Muslims from all the horrible violence by blaming their
enemy? If it was true why go public with this now? The timing seems
suspicious. Italian Muslims quickly verified the Quranic passage cited by
the insugents but the Quran is hardly a secret document, what does the
accuracy of ! the reference prove? And if the video wasn't produced by the
Kidnappers, who did make it? And why aren't the kidnappers refuting it?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10386&s2=15>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10386

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.