Elections in Iraq

Title: Elections in Iraq
Cari amici, ricevo questa lettera che porta la data di oggi 2 gennaio 2005 e ve la ripasso per vostra informazione.Un caro saluto a tutti voi, silvano.

From: Dr. Riyadh N. Aladhadh

To: Angelo Gandolfi

    Cc: Silvano Tartarini

Sub: Elections

Dear Sir:

I was present in the Islamic Party discussion about the elections.

Party members including the board of the party decided to withdraw our party and not to participate in the election process ... the main reason is that the elections committee which belongs to U.N refuses to postpone the elections for 6 months. All Sunni muslims will not take part except the people working with government or sharing with other parties. Employees working in the elections committee in Mosul resigned from their jobs.

The Anbar (Rumady) Governorate didn't distribute the applications for the election.

Recently we heard also Tikrit governorate will not take part.

The government and the U.S.A. people push for the election to be done.

A group of shee’a discused with Islamic Scholars Association the elections process and they agree to postpone it for 6 months.

Here in Baghdad when I returned, I was surprised because the National Guard and the Police are wandering in the streets in their cars and firing without aim or cause.

It seems that they are terrified and afraid of the people.

The Police and Iraqi National Guard are becoming targets to the resistance.

American vehicles and tanks are still around Falluja and in Baghdad’s streets with significant increase in number and are using new weapons.

I was in Falluja. It was a city before but now it is massively destroyed.

People from Falluja left their city because they didn't find their houses and there are no services, no electricity, no water, no education, and neither health services. They are living now around Baghdad and Rumadi.

They need jobs because they will stay outside their city for an unknown period. Government of Ayad Allawi promises them that they will compensate them. Really they are not saying the truth. The Minister of Defense accuses Syria and Iran about the violence and security deterioration and the government doesn't agree with what he says. U.S.A army arrested many people and members working in The Islamic Party.

In conclusion it seems that the election becomes an impossible process to be held on the 30th of January.

All said wait and see.