[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 03 Jan 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë"Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

When deadly force bumps into hearts and minds
The Economist
...Instead, they detained 70 men from districts identified by their
informant as "bad". In near-freezing conditions, they sat hooded and bound
in their pyjamas. They shivered uncontrollably. One wetted himself in fear.
Most had been detained at random; several had been held because they had a
Kalashnikov rifle, which is legal. The evidence against one man was some
anti-American literature, a meat cleaver and a tin whistle. American
intelligence officers ! moved through the ranks of detainees, raising their
hoods to take mugshots: "One, two, three, jihaaad!" A middle-tier officer
commented on the mission: "When we do this," he said, "we lose...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8605&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8605

Support the Tsunami
Kurt Nimmo
Imagine millions of people driving around with magnetic car ribbons
declaring support for the tsunami that ravaged south and Southeast Asia,
killing upward to a hundred thousand people. You'd probably think those
people are sadistic mental cases in need of treatment and medication. And
yet millions of Americans display "support our troops" ribbons on their
cars, even though "our" troops are daily killing and torturing innocent
Iraqis—at checkpoints, in their homes, on the street, at! demonstrations,
and in Bush's gulags such as Abu Ghraib—upward to a hundred thousand of
them to date, possibly more. Supporting troops violating the Fourth Geneva
Convention Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War is
considered patriotic while criticizing the troops and Bush for committing
war crimes is considered not only unpatriotic but criminal...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8593&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8593

Another factually-challenged pro-war blog
Tex, Antiwar. blog
Jeff Jarvis attempts to compare Saddam Hussein to the tsunami disaster. In
a post titled Catastrophic equivalencies, he says: By the latest count,
160,000 people have died in this tsunami. A month ago, Tony Blair said that
400,000 victims of Saddam Hussein's tyranny and murder have been found in
mass graves in Iraq. (...) In Jeff's rush to come up with a number
documenting what he thinks he already knows, he grabs, off the US Aid
website, ! a quote by Tony Blair that Blair himself admitted was false long
ago (...) Not only did he fail to research the discredited quote but he
attributed it to Blair in the wrong year...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8602&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8602

The Jungle in the Desert: Vietnam in Iraq
Stewart Nusbaumer, Intervention Magazine
...Those who planned this war knew as much about Iraq as those who planned
the Vietnam War knew about Vietnam, which is why Iraq will end as Vietnam
ended. In America's defeat. For those of us who fought in Vietnam and
reflected on that disastrous war, we knew America could not win in Iraq.
Many Americans came to that conclusion without having served in Vietnam.
But not the Bush Administration and the Neocons, and not most American! s,
who went along with the invasion and occupation of Iraq. For these
Americans, the Vietnam War never happened and Iraq would be "fast and
easy"...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8607&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8607

The Jan. 30 Fraud
Bob Dreyfuss , Tompaine.com
...Of course, it's not true that the United States has no choice but to let
Sistani and Co. take over Iraq. By the way, on that front, Ahmad Chalabi is
taking a yet higher profile. He's just returned from Iran, his home away
from home, where he met with none other than Ali Akbar Hashemi-Rafsanjani,
and then returned to Baghdad as the Shiite coalition's semi-official
ambassador to Iran. So, the neocons' favorite Iraqi (Chalabi) is powwowing
with the neocons' favorite I! ranian (Rafsanjani). It was the latter, of
course, who helped Michael Ledeen, the Mossad, and Ollie North get Bill
Casey's Iran-contra initiative rolling in the 1980s...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8608&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8608

Tomgram: Rebecca Solnit on Sontag and Tsunami
Tom Engelhardt & Rebecca Solnit
...You can say in some ways that what has happened in Iraq is a tsunami
that swept ten thousand miles from the epicenter of an earthquake in
Washington DC, an earthquake in policy and principle that has devastated
countless lives and environments and cities far away -- and near at hand,
where friends and families of dead soldiers also grieve, and tens of
thousands of those kids sent abroad to carry out a venal foreign policy are
maimed ! in body and spirit...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8600&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8600

Pentagon releases names of three more killed in Iraq, raising December
total to 72
Associated Press
The Pentagon on Monday released three additional names of U.S. servicemen
killed in Iraq in December, raising the month's U.S. death toll to 72,
including 20 members of the reserves. It also released the identities of
the first U.S. Iraq casualties of 2005, a soldier and a Marine...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8604&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8604

Iraqi Minister Says Election Delay Possible
IslamOnline.net
Iraqi interim Defense Minister Hazem Al-Shaalan said Monday, January 3, the
controversial general elections, scheduled for January 30, could be delayed
to a later date if Iraqi Sunnis agreed to take part. "We have asked our
Arab brothers, particularly in Egypt and Gulf countries, to get Iraqi
Sunnis to participate in the elections and if such a participation requires
a delay to the election date, they could be delayed," Shaalan told
Agence-France-Presse ! (AFP)...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8595&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8595

Iraqi scientist's health causes concern
Ahmed Janabi , Aljazeera.net
Nada Ammash has expressed grave concern for her sister, jailed Iraqi
scientist Huda Ammash, after media reports indicated she was is dying in US
custody in Iraq (...) Nada Ammash said she plans to sue media outlets that
have promoted her sister as "Mrs Anthrax" once Huda Ammash's ordeal comes
to an end. "My sister is a scientist with a human interest. She devoted
herself to save the victims of depleted uranium and carried out extensive
research! in that field," she said...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8596&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8596

DEMS CONSIDER TORTURE SHOW 'N TELL AT GONZALES HEARING
DRUDGE REPORT
During upcoming confirmation hearings for Attorney General-nominee Alberto
Gonzales, senior Democrats want to screen infamous videotapes showing
Iraqis being abused at Abu Ghraib prison, top sources tell the DRUDGE
REPORT. The curtain is raised Thursday for the Senate Judiciary Committee's
showdown with Gonzales...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8594&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8594

Modern War, Unlike Tsunami, Comes in Dribs and Drabs
Sarah Whalen
...When people are killed all at once, we notice it. We respond without
hesitation to the tragedy. We cannot escape the horror of it. A hundred
thousand bodies wildly angled by rigor mortis, bloating like nauseating,
gaseous balloons cannot be ignored. But kill a hundred thousand people
slowly, over time, and we don't pay much heed. Or the same kind of heed.
Some 100,000 Iraqis dead. That's roughly 100 Iraqis dead for every American
soldier dying i! n Iraq whether in combat, in a road accident, or of any
natural cause. That's about 33 Iraqis for every 9/11 victim...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8603&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8603

Humvees Aren't the Problem
Aaron Glantz, Antiwar,com
...What, exactly, is the point of these Humvee patrols? Why are American
soldiers being sent out night after night to be attacked by Iraqi
nationalists? If America suspended these Humvee patrols and pulled out of
Iraq, these fighters would go back to their regular jobs. As it is, no
amount of armor will keep American soldiers from dying in Iraq...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8590&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8590

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Sunday, 2 January 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member editorial board The
Free Arab Voice.
...US forces on Sunday dropped tear gas on the people of al-Fallujah as
they gathered trying to get into their city. As a result, one local Iraqi
died. Witnesses told Mafkarat al-Islam that the Americans unleashed the
tear gas after the sound of explosions and intermittent clashes were heard
early Sunday morning in the ash-Shurtah neighborhood in the north of th! e
city...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8592&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8592

Iraq's Shi'ites: US Troops Should Stay
Erik Eckholm The New York Times
...Speaking in offices that were damaged by a car bomb just six days
before, leaders of the United Iraqi Alliance urged disaffected Sunnis to
join in the elections for a National Assembly, scheduled for Jan. 30. They
also said that if their coalition gains power it would not demand the
immediate withdrawal of American troops, but would wait instead for a
stronger Iraqi military...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8589&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8589

Spy chief says 200,000 fighters in Iraq
Aljazeera.net
The head of the Iraqi intelligence service has estimated that there are
more than 200,000 active fighters and sympathisers in the war-torn country.
Service director General Muhammad Abd Allah Shahwani told journalists on
Monday that his assessment included 40,000 fulltime fighters and about
200,000 Iraqis involved part-time. He added that part-timers were also
likely to be providing everything from intelligence to logistics and
shelter...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8588&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8588

Baghdad suffers multiple bomb attacks
Aljazeera.net
At least 19 people have been killed in a series of car bomb explosions, one
of which was in front of the party headquarters of interim Iraqi Prime
Minister Iyad Allawi's party. The first of four major blasts targeted the
headquarters of Allawi's al-Wifaq Party (Iraqi National Accord) in
al-Zaitun Street in Baghdad on Monday...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8587&s2=04>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8587

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.