Important Update | UFPJ Court Case Still Pending

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
http://www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545

Dear friend of UFPJ:

You may have already heard that a federal judge today denied the use of
Central Park for a protest at the Republican Convention.

This ruling concerns a different organization, seeking to hold a protest on
a different day. United for Peace and Justice will have a hearing in state
court tomorrow, Tuesday, August 24, seeking a court order to rally in
Central Park on Sunday, August 29. The outcome of today’s federal case has
no direct bearing on our case in New York State Supreme Court.

We expect a ruling in our case on Wednesday or Thursday, and remain
optimistic that the judge in our case will recognize our right to hold a
rally in Central Park.

No matter what the judge rules, we already have an agreement with the City
for a legal, peaceful march past Madison Square Garden, the site of the
Republican Convention. If we win our court case, we will march to Central
Park for an exuberant rally. If we lose in court, we will negotiate with
the City for a safe, peaceful, and orderly closure of the day's events. (We
will NOT go to the West Side Highway.)

The Bush and Bloomberg Administrations are hoping that the uncertainty
about our protest will keep people away … we know their efforts to squelch
our protest make it all the more important that we have a massive turnout
in the streets, to say NO to the Bush agenda of war, greed, hate and lies!

Please forward this email to your friends, family and colleagues, and post
it on any appropriate email lists.

If you live in the New York City area, please join us at the hearing before
the New York Supreme Court tomorrow, Tuesday, Aug. 24 at 9:00 am at 60
Centre Street. The judge has moved the hearing to a larger room, to allow
more people to attend; we will also hold a peaceful picket outside the
courthouse.

AUGUST 29, THE WORLD SAYS NO TO THE BUSH AGENDA!
Massive Protest at the Republican National Convention, New York City
* Assemble at 10:00AM, Seventh Avenue @ 14th Street
* March steps off at noon
Visit the RNC mobilizing section of our website for resources and to
endorse the August 29 demonstration:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/rnc
We need your financial support to make the August 29 protest a success:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate