[uruknet.info - daily information from occupied iraq] newsletter 24 Aug 2004.

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Good luck Iraq team !
iraq-war.ru and uruknet.info
Let us all wish the Iraqi team Good Luck !!!

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5029&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Iraqi forces advance on Najaf shrine
Michael Georgy, Reuters
Iraqi security forces have moved to within 400 metres of a holy shrine in
Najaf, just hours after the government warned Shi'ite rebels inside they
would be killed if ! they did not surrender. "God willing, we'll be moving
in tonight," a commander of one unit told Reuters, adding that around 500
Iraqi troops had been deployed to the area around the Imam Ali mosque, the
first time government forces have entered the battle zone...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5026&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Baldoni: Al Jazira trasmette video con giornalista rapito
Corriere della Sera
Al Jazira ha trasmesso un video con le immagini del giornalista italiano
Enzo Baldoni. Nel video i rapitori danno all'Italia 48 ore per ritirare le
t! ruppe dall'Iraq, altrimenti l'ostaggio ? Ãin pericoloÀ. La tv del Qatar
ha detto di avere ricevuto una nota dal ÃGruppo islamico dell'IraqÀ e un
nastro dell'ostaggio che si identifica e dice di essere un giornalista
italiano di 56 anni e di essere andato in Iraq per scrivere un libro. Il
video mostra anche il suo passaporto. Baldoni appare solo, senza i
miliziani armati che erano invece presenti in video di altri ostaggi in
Iraq, tranquillo, sbarbato e in abiti civili...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5025&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

In Najaf, even the dead are suspected of carrying guns
The Telegraph
American troops search coffins as a matter of routine at holy city's
sprawling cemetery, reports Toby Harnden. For the Salman family, not even
the battle ragi! ng in the holy city of Najaf could prevent them burying
their dead yesterday at the Wadi al-Salam cemetery, the world's biggest
necropolis and hallowed ground for Shia Muslims. An artillery shell
exploded 600 yards away as Radhi Salman 25, his son Rassaq, 11, and
daughter Najwa, two, were lowered into the arid ground. A gravedigger waved
a white cloth at an aircraft overhead. "Hurry up," he urged the Salmans.
"The other day the Americans fired at a funeral group"...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5024&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Scott Ritter on Israel's nuclear policy, nuclear disarmament, Iraq and
citizenship
Traprock Peace Center
...We have lost this war. We have not only lost the war in Iraq but we're
in danger of losing the war on terror, and we're! really in danger of
losing our status around the world. Now some people say we've lost it (...)
We need to leave Iraq. We need to let the Iraqis sort this out. it's not
going to be pretty. There will be civil war. There will be death. There
will be destruction. It will be ugly. But it's the only way to sort this
thing out...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5022&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Najaf Decisive Battle Looms Large
IslamOnline.net
Hundreds of heavily armed Iraqi and US troops were braced Tuesday, August
24, for an imminent assault on the Mehdi Army in the holy city of Najaf on
orders to kill or capture le! ader Moqtada Al-Sadr unless he surrendered
within hours. Meanwhile, aides of the anti-US firebrand Sadr said he was
ready to re-negotiate peace but would not accept humiliation after the
20-day conflict...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5021&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Denying Atrocities. From Vietnam to Fallujah
FRAN SCHOR, CouterPunch
...Of course, the racism that led the US military to see every "gook" as VC
in Vietnam has also re-appeared in Iraq. According to one British commander
in Ira! q American troops often saw Iraqis as "undermenschen" the Nazi
expression for sub-humans. Although embedded US reporters rarely provided
an insight into this racist mentality, Mark Franchetti of the London Times
quoted one US soldier as asserting that "Iraqis are sick people and we are
the chemotherapy." And with chemotherapy if the sick person dies it was
only to help cure the person. This reminds one of the infamous
pronouncement by a US officer on the destruction of a Vietnamese village
during the war in that ravaged country: "We had to destroy the village in
order to save it"...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5020&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Pentagon Leaders Faulted in Prisoner Abuse-Officials
Charles Aldinger, Reuters
A high-level panel investigating U.S. military detention operations has
concluded that top Pentagon officials and the military command in Iraq
cont! ributed to an environment in which detainees were abused at Abu
Ghraib prison in Iraq, a defense official said on Tuesday...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5019&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Guerrieri dell'informazione
Pratap Chatterjee, Nuovi Mondi Media
La Rendon Group ? l’agenzia di consulenza che fornisce servizi di
comunicazione politica. I servizi offerti variano dalla creazione di “un
ambiente favorevole in ! vista della privatizzazione” alla giustificazione
della guerra. Al suo attivo: la manipolazione dei media durante guerra del
Golfo, le reazioni dopo gli attentati dell’11 settembre, la giustificazione
dell’invasione in Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5018&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Thursday, 19 August 2004 through
Sunday, 22 August 2004
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member editorial board The
Free Arab Voice
A group of Iraqi Resistance fighters evac! uated civilian residents of the
areas where they anticipate fighting to break out after a threatening
letter was delivered to them from the US aggressor forces...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5017&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Iraqi Teens Abused at Abu Ghraib, Report Finds
Josh White and Thomas E. Ricks, Washington Post Staff Writers
An Army investigation into the Abu Ghraib prison scandal has found that
military police dogs were used to frighten det! ained Iraqi teenagers as
part of a sadistic game, one of many details in the forthcoming report that
were provoking expressions of concern and disgust among Army officers
briefed on the findings...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5014&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

War Crimes Tribunal comes at crucial time
Peter Gilbert, Workers World
On Aug. 26, leaders of the global anti-war movement, expert witnesses, GI
resisters and activists will gather in New York to consider overwhelming
evidence ! of the criminal atrocities committed by the Bush administration
against Iraq and the people of the world. The Iraq War Crimes Tribunal,
inspired by the World Tribunal on Iraq that has held sessions in many
countries, comes at the beginning of a week of demonstrations against the
Republican National Convention...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5004&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Colpito il mausoleo A Najaf i caccia Usa preparano l'assalto
MICHELANGELO COCCO, il manifesto
Un razzo che ha centrato il muro di cinta del mausoleo dell'imam Ali ha
dato il via ieri a una giornata di combattimenti furiosi a Na! jaf, con i
carrarmati americani che si sono spinti fino a duecento metri dal luogo pi?
sacro per gli sciiti iracheni. Dopo 48 ore dominate da trattative e colpi
di scena tra gli sciiti dell'imam al Sadr e quelli dell'ayatollah al
Sistani, sono tornati a parlare solo i fucili della guerriglia e le bombe
statunitensi...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5012&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Ask Bush Supporters These Basic Questions
Mary Louise Symon
...Why was the Bush administration so surprised by the Iraq insurgency and
so ill-prepared for the Iraq invasion?
Did our president lie to us about the reasons for invading Iraq?
Did he know that weapons of mass destruction would not be found there?
Did he know there was no connection between Saddam Hussein and Sept. 11
when he went before Congress, the country and the world to justify the
invasion?..

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=5003&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Iraqi cleric slams media war coverage
Ahmed Janabi , Aljazeera.net
The secretary-general of al-Irshad and al-Fatwa Association in Iraq has
accused world media of colluding with US-led occupation forces in imposing
a media black! out on Iraqi resistance operations (...) Umar Zeidan, an
Iraqi journalist and editorial secretary of the Iraqi newspaper al-Basaer
said there is a media blackout on armed operations aginst US-led occupation
forces in Iraq. "Apart from the fact that I am an editorial secretary of a
newspaper, I am a citizen of al-Ramadi city, known for constant attacks on
US forces, and I have witnessed many attacks on US soldiers and
installations...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=4999&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Witnesses: U.S. Warplanes Bomb Fallujah
AP
U.S. warplanes bombed the volatile city of Fallujah early Tuesday, and
flames and plumes of smoke rose from its southern neighborhoods, witnesses
said. The U.S. military had no immedia! te comment. Ambulances and fire
trucks raced to the scene of the explosions...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=4998&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

With the Red Cross in Najaf and Kufa
Helen Williams, Electronic Iraq
...Throughout the evening we talked to so many fighters it is difficult to
remember them all. I can honestly say that they were all amazingly brave
kind and d! ecent men. They are not terrorists or religious
fundamentalists. They all knew that I was British and that the Italians
were Italian and all had the capacity to realise that, just because we were
from bad countries occupying and stripping Iraq, it did not mean that we
agreed with our governments. On the contrary, we explained that we did not.
And not being Muslim was not a problem either - there was complete and
utter respect for each others' religions...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=4996&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Iraq: appello di personalit– islamiche a sostegno della resistenza
Socialpress
L'agenzia Reuters d– notizia di un appello firmato da 93 eminenti
personalit– musulmane di 30 paesi del mondo a sostenere la resistenza
irachena con! tro le truppe di occupazione e il governo fantoccio di
Allawi. Dopo aver criticato il silenzio dei governanti islamici
sull'aggressione aglo-americana e sionista ai popoli di Iraq e Palestina, i
firmatari "fanno appello ai popoli arabi e musulmani, a tutte le autorit–
religiose e alle forze di liberazione ovunque nel mondo perch? si oppongano
all'occupazione e ai barbari crimini in Iraq e in Palestina, fornendo ogni
genere di sostegno materiale e morale alla resistenza... sino a che giunga
la vittoria di Dio"...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=4993&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

Pro-U.S. Former Exiles Dominate Appointed Iraqi Assembly
Lisa Ashkenaz Croke, The NewStandard
In what had been touted as Iraq’s first democratic election, last week’s
tumultuous Iraqi National Conference closed with a four-judg! e panel
selecting a list of candidates for the Interim National Council, leaving
the hundreds of delegates invited to the conference to approve the decision
with only a show of hands. In the end, the same former exile groups
currently holding the highest seats in Iraq’s appointed interim government
will also dominate the country’s newest temporary body...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=4995&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

The Anti-Empire Report. Brave New World of Iraqi Sovereignty
WILLIAM BLUM, CounterPunch
This is what the Brave New World of Iraqi Sovereignty looks like:

* US military bases remain, with more being built.

* Some 160,000 troops of the United States and its allies remain, the
Americans for at least five years.

* US military commanders will continue to exercise final authority over not
only these troops, but also all Iraqi police, security and army units.

* Immunity from Iraqi criminal charges for US military and contractor
personnel continues...

<http://www.uruknet.info?s1=1&p=4991&s2=24>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

Any link will be greatly appreciated: you can get our banner or link
coordinates from our homepage. Please let us know about new links, so that
we can recall them in our link-page.

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: finalmente, un sito dove trovare
informazione aggiornata sull'iraq occupato: notizie, analisi, documenti e
testi sulla resistenza in italiano e in inglese, aggiornate ogni giorno.
Un grazie fin d'ora per ogni link al ns. sito: potrete scaricare il banner
e trovare le coordinate sulla testata della ns. homepage. Informateci di
ogni nuovo link, in modo da poter contraccambiare e segnalarlo. grazie!

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.
Se questo messaggio non si legge correttamente, scrivi a
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info per
ricevere la versione solo testo.