A Letter from COHA on Venezuelan Censorship?: "On the Media," NPR

Title: COHA Email PR

1250 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 1C, Washington, D.C. 20036
Phone: 202-223-4975 Fax: 202-223-4979
Email:
coha at coha.org Website: www.coha.org

Council on Hemispheric Affairs

           Monitoring Political, Economic and Diplomatic Issues Affecting the Western Hemisphere

Dear Subscriber,

In response to the many emails we have received from those interested in U.S.-Venezuelan relations asking for a transcript of COHA director Larry Birns' recent interview on National Public Radio's "On the Media" network program, let us provide you with a link where you may find the official text as well as an audio file for it.

Of course, we would also like to cordially thank those who were good enough to add some flattering praise in their notes. An equal debt of gratitude is also owed to our doughty detractors, several whose brilliant comments can now be found on our website’s open forum. It is always rewarding to get feedback concerning COHA’s substantive work. Please continue communicating with us about any insights and analysis you may have on breaking issues or your impressions of our work in any area, so we can pick up pointers from your critiques. We will select a sample of these to post on our forum. We intend to continue to try to provide meaningful and in-depth analyses of emerging issues in the area of Western Hemispheric affairs, and would appreciate your help and good will in doing this.

My Best,

Kevin Alexander Watt
Communications
Council on Hemispheric Affairs

For those of you unaware of the NPR program, below is brief a description of the interview with COHA Director Larry Birns that appears on the COHA website:

Venezuelan Censorship?: "On the Media," NPR
“In light of the Venezuelan Congress’ recent decision to grant President Hugo Chávez the power to rule by decree as well as the proposed nationalization of U.S.-held business, and other issues, COHA Director Larry Birns was interviewed on January 26 on National Public Radio’s “On The Media.” This network program is hosted by Bob Garfield and Brooke Gladstone and produced by Tony Field. The interview focuses upon some of the key issues concerning President Chávez’s bid for greater executive power, his controversial refusal to renew the public broadcasting license of Radio Caracas TV, the seeming lag in the development of Venezuelan democracy, as well as the future of U.S. - Venezuelan relations, and how editorial writers from the Washington Post, New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal who are critical of Chávez, at times distorts Venezuelan realities and fails to take into account crucial historical perspectives.”

The Council on Hemispheric Affairs, founded in 1975, is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan, tax-exempt research and information organization. It has been described on the Senate floor as being "one of the nation's most respected bodies of scholars and policy makers." For more information, please see our web page at http://www.coha.org/ or contact our Washington offices by phone (202) 223-4975, fax (202) 223-4979, or email coha at coha.org.