Debunking the Myths surrounding Hamas "Hamas, they're not bad, they're just drawn that way"

I'd like to present for your consideration an article that attempts (in some small way) to debunk several of the most prominent myths circulating about Hamas, a topic that I consider vital for Palestinian solidarity, yet one that is practically never written about. It is difficult for many Westerners to write about Hamas, particularly because of this prejudice based on disinformation, as well as a fear that can be detected in "being associated with them". Being that it is a topic we all know about, but not really in any depth, the myths are so widely circulated, not only in the right or in Zionist media, but also by many persons in the left, who will grant that they are a resistance movement, and therefore, can be "tolerated", but they persist in promoting ideas that are patently false, even when confronted with evidence.

http://palestinethinktank.com/2009/10/19/hamas-­-they’re-not-bad-they’re-just-drawn-that-way/

This article hopes to provide a service in rendering more understandable what Hamas actually is, and not how it is drawn (to paraphrase Jessica Rabbit). Being able to view this Palestinian reality without tainted glasses is necessary, so that the many actions taken against the Palestinian people in the name of "ridding them of Hamas" can be shown for what they are, crimes and a coup against democracy.

This article is part of the Palestine Think Tank and Tlaxcala series of articles that analyse words and concepts that are commonly used in disinformation, hoping to strip them of the falsehoods that the Hasbara has stuck upon them. More articles can be found on www.palestinethinktank.com and www.tlaxcala.es, and the next instalment will appear tomorrow in English, Spanish and Italian.

Please link, republish or share this article as you see fitting and appropriate.
Mary