A Beacon of Hope

<http://www.unitedforpeace.org>
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org>www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545 |
If you are having trouble viewing this message, please
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=85282605&url_num=4&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=3188>click
here.

Please forward widely!
These are hard times for our country … and for UFPJ. To keep serving as a
beacon of hope,
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=85282605&url_num=5&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate>we
need your financial support today.
If you make a contribution of $25 or more – or if you join our sustainer
program - by March 1, you will receive a complimentary copy of our “End the
War” poster as a thank you gift. You’ll receive it just in time for your
local 3rd anniversary activities!

Dear friends of UFPJ,

The times we are living in are troubling, and the problems we’re
confronting increase each day:

The war on Iraq.
The so-called war on terror.
The disastrous government response to Hurricane Katrina.
Further rightward shift on the U.S. Supreme Court.
The erosion of civil liberties and rights.
Cuts in education, welfare, Medicare and other social programs.
And now the Bush Administration has asked Congress for an additional $70
billion for the war in Iraq

But there is reason to be hopeful.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=85282605&url_num=6&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate>And
you can make a difference.

United for Peace and Justice is working year-round with our 1,300 member
groups to build a nationwide anti-war movement and to address the troubling
issues of our time, and we ARE making a difference.

Every week in cities around the country, our member groups hold vigils,
town hall meetings, and local actions to protest the war on Iraq and make
connections to how the war affects our local communities.
The UFPJ Legislative Action Network has hundreds of members who are
reaching out to their Representatives and Senators to call for an end to
the war on Iraq and immediate withdrawal of all troops.
Billboards and lawn signs are popping up across the country, calling for an
end to the war on Iraq.
From March 15-22, United for Peace and Justice member groups will hold
hundreds of anti-war activities on the occasion of the third anniversary of
the U.S. invasion of Iraq.
United for Peace and Justice has initiated a major mobilization for April
29 with our friends in the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, National Organization
for Women, Friends of the Earth, U.S. Labor Against the War, Climate Crisis
Coalition, People's Hurricane Relief Fund, National Youth and Student Peace
Coalition, and Veterans for Peace. As we highlight our call for an
immediate end to the war in Iraq, this broad coalition will bring our
multi-issue message to the streets of New York City in a massive display of
collective energy for peace, justice and democracy.
We are gearing up for a knock-down, drag-out mid-term election year fight
to keep peace and justice issues in the forefront of voters’ minds, and to
make ending the war in Iraq a central issue for anyone running for Congress.
BUT: We can’t do any of this without your help.

<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=85282605&url_num=7&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate>By
supporting United for Peace and Justice, you can help us build the world
that you wish to see.

Unfortunately, many of you have been forced to cut back or divert your
donations away from UFPJ. You’ve been working to fight Alito’s nomination
to the Supreme Court, to provide relief to the survivors of Hurricane
Katrina, and to push forward on many other worthy issues, and we support
all of those efforts. But this has left us in a vulnerable position.

We work diligently to keep our costs low and stretch dollars farther than
most can imagine: all of our office furniture and most of our computers and
other equipment have been donated; we've moved the office many times in
order to get free or very low-cost rent; we have been able to secure
volunteer services for a wide range of tasks. But no matter how efficient
we are, it does take some money every month to keep operating in the black.
Right now, we lack the necessary funding for our minimum overhead expenses,
for organizing and supporting the spring events and for our voter education
and legislative action programs.

If each one of you could – RIGHT NOW - make a personally significant
contribution of $15, $25, $50 or $100, or sign up as a sustainer and make a
recurring donation at $5 or $10/month, we would have enough money to
provide our member groups with the support and materials they need to do
their work, cover our organizing expenses and give the war-hawks a run for
their money this fall.

<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=85282605&url_num=8&url=http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate>Please
make a generous donation to United for Peace and Justice today. With it, we
will keep providing a beacon of hope.

Yours, for peace and justice,

UFPJ National Staff

Other ways to donate:

1.	If you prefer to donate by credit card over the phone, please call
our office at 212-868-5545. (Please note: Online donations and credit card
donations are *not* tax deductible.)
2.	You can also mail a check or money order to:

United for Peace and Justice
P.O. Box 607
Times Square Station
New York, NY 10108

Donations of $100 or more are tax-deductible if your check is made payable
to our 501 (c) 3 fiscal sponsor, the A.J. Muste Memorial Institute. Be sure
to specify "UFPJ" on the memo line. Mail it to UFPJ at P.O. Box 607, Times
Square Station, New York, NY 10108. Due to restrictions by our fiscal
sponsor, donations under $100 are *not* tax deductible, and must be made
payable directly to United for Peace and Justice.

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/>www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
To subscribe, visit
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/email>www.unitedforpeace.org/email

If you no longer wish to receive emails from us, visit
<http://www.demaction.org/ufpj/unsubscribe.jsp>www.demaction.org/ufpj/unsubscribe.jsp