[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 18 Dec 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Behind the Steel Curtain: The Real Face of the Occupation
Dirty Means, Genocide and Mass Destruction
Sabah Ali, BRussells Tribunal
White flags on top of houses and cars, plenty of American and Iraqi
military vehicles, too many check points and blocks on the road, many
frightening walking patrols, curfew after sunset, heaps and heaps of
destroyed houses, shops, offices, the only bridge, hospitals and medical
care centers, walls covered with bullets shots, and elections posters…empty
faces with bleak lo! oks wonder in the streets. This is Al-Qaim picture
after the Steel Curtain military operation which began on November 5, 2005
with 3000 thousands American and Iraqi troops participating in it. "You are
filming our miserable condition so that Bush would pity us?! You want to
soften his heart?" asked a tiny skinny young villager disapprovingly, with
obvious resignation (...) AM, another employee from Rummana said "we saw 14
Chinook airplanes bombing, we heard that there is a major attack on
Huseiba. 5 days later we heard that the attack was on Karabla and Ebeidy
which was hit by %50 missiles from dawn to sunrise at 6 am. A man said that
they used white phosphorus "how did he know that?" "He said that when the
dead were buried, their clothes were intact, but the bodies were like ashes
when they were held...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18822&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18822

US Holding Children in Prison Camps as POW's
Rebellious Peasant
Today, I started reading former President Jimmy Carter's new book, "Our
Endangered Values". In it, he revealed something that is absolutely
horrifying--the US is holding children as young as 8 years of age who have
been captured in Afghanistan and Iraq in prison camps--namely, the one in
Guantanamo, Cuba. Worse yet, Donald Rumsfeld knew about it (...)The
International Red Cross, Amnesty International, and thePentagon have
gathered substanti! al testimony of torture of children ( emphasis mine),
confirmed by soldiers who witnessed or participated in the abuse. In
addition to personal testimony from children about physical and mental
mistreatment, a report from Brigadier General Janis Karpinski, formerly in
charge of Abu Ghraib, described a visit to an eleven year old detainee in
the cell block that housed high risk prisoners...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18817&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18817

Dead men voted in poll, claim Iraq parties
The Age
IRAQI political parties have complained of election violations, ranging
from dead men voting to murder in the streets. The Iraqi electoral
commission said it had received more than 200 complaints. A spokesman said
many were exaggerated, but parties from all corners maintained that
violence and fraud made the outcome suspect. The commission is also
investigating complaints that Shiite and Kurdish militias tried to
intimidate voters in last week's election...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18819&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18819

Envoy Faults Militias' Interference in Iraq Vote
Ellen Knickmeyer, Washington Post Foreign Service
Kurdish and Shiite factional militias and other armed men blocked voters
from polling sites in scattered locations during Iraq's national elections,
Iraqi and U.S. officials said Friday. While the intimidation likely was not
serious enough to influence the outcome of Thursday's vote, one U.S.
diplomat said, the overt militia role was part of a dangerous trend in
Iraqi politics...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18818&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18818

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Sunday, 18 December 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. http://www.freearabvoice.org
Iraqi Resistance forces unleashed a bombardment of homes in which US troops
were billeted in 'Amiriyat al-Fallujah at about 4:30pm local time Sunday
afternoon The 'Amiriyat al-Fallujah correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam
reported that six heavy 120mm mortar rounds blasted directly into houses
occupied by US troops and used as hea! dquarters in the area. At the same
time the Resistance fired two Katyusha rockets into another house that
American forces had occupied near the al-'Anazah Bridge, which links
'Amiriyat al-Fallujah with the village of Zawbi'. The rockets scored direct
hits on the house, but since no one was allowed to approach
American-occupied facilities, no specific information on the nature or
extent of casualties was available...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18829&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18829

Distinguished University of Minnesota Philosophy Professor Joins 9/11
Fight, Saying the Truth Must Be Uncovered
Greg Szymanski
A University of Minnesota philosophy professor, like an unexpected
Christmas snowstorm, has dropped a large bundle of holiday cheer on the
9/11 truth movement, as this week he has thrown his hat into the ring with
others seeking the truth. "I stand with Steve Jones, professor of physics
at BYU and David Ray Griffin, professor emeritus of Theology at Claremont
and other students and schola! rs of 9/11, who believe that extraordinary
times require extraordinary measures," said James H. Fetzer, PhD., a
distinguished McNight University professor at the University of Minnesota
at Duluth...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18831&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18831

The Most Important Question of All in Bush's Domestic Spying Scandal
David Sirota
In the last 72 hours since the revelation that President Bush ordered
illegal domestic surveillance operations, we have seen how the Republican
spin machine has mastered the art of turning any and all controversies into
questions of national security. You know the drill: those who are
criticizing Bush's orders are billed as weak, soft on national security, or
against domestic efforts to stop terrorism. Meanwhile, Bush is portrayed a!
s the tough fighter of terrorism, willing to make the tough choices to
defend America's national security. In short, his crimes are portrayed as
badges of honor.

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18830&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18830

Kitty Genovese and the NYT
Xymphora
...One other thing on the New York Times. Relying on some 'war on terror'
balderdash from the Bush Administration, they delayed publishing on the NSA
abuses for one year, a year during which most of the abuses occurred. In
other words, by not publishing, the New York Times is essentially a party
to the unconstitutional searches by the NSA. It is not dissimilar from
watching a murder occur and failing to try to stop it. Everyone who read
the article was instantly outraged by its! contents, except, apparently,
the editors and publishers of the New York Times. If it wasn't for the
Judith Miller scandal, you might think this was just one instance of bad
judgment. Given Miller, it is clearly part of an ongoing pattern of gross
violation of journalistic ethics...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18828&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18828

Identity Theft of America!
A TvNewsLIES Indictment
Look around. If you look really closely, you’ll see that something is very
wrong. If you look in every direction and into every possible hiding place,
you’ll become aware of the awful truth: The United States of America, the
proud nation that existed just a few years ago, is no more. Only five years
ago, the US had a clear identity. Only five years ago the US had a
definable nature and a credible reputation. Only five years ago we knew
pretty much who we were a! s Americans. But that time, that safe and
comfortable time is no more. As 2005 comes to an end, there is nothing to
be gained by denial. At this moment in our history, our identity as a
nation and as a people has disappeared. It did not go willingly, and it did
not go peacefully. Instead, our identity as Americans was destroyed by
design and by stealth...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18827&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18827

I was gassed, Saddam claims
Chris Johnston
SADDAM HUSSEIN’S lawyer has said that the former Iraqi dictator claims that
he was gassed while hiding in his bolthole in an attempt to evade the US
troops who captured him two years ago. Saddam allegedly told Ramsay Clarke,
78, a former US Attorney-General who is one of the lawyers representing
him: "I came out of the house where I was hiding by this hole. I went
through the trapdoor. I went down the hole, through the tunnel, then lost
consciousness." Mr Clarke told The! Sun: "Saddam thinks he was gassed in
the tunnel. He told us he spent maybe minutes in this tunnel, not hours or
days...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18825&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18825

Tomgram: The Forgotten Anthrax Attacks of 2001
Tom Engelhardt
...Now, here's the interesting thing: Because this administration had its
eyes set on the Middle East from the beginning, it essentially chose its
terror war from column A (the September 11th attacks), not column B (the
anthrax attacks, once it became clear that they were connected not to
al-Qaeda but the American arsenal). Hence our control group. Here, for
instance, is a very partial list of actions not taken by this
administration in relation to the! anthrax attacks...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18824&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18824

GI Special 3D48: "I Did Not Volunteer To Be Lied To" - Decenber 18, 2005
www.militaryproject.org
A panel on military families and Iraq war veterans featured many prominent
peace advocates from those communities. The British peace mother, Rose
Gentle, described the death of her son, Gordon, as "a murder by my
government." She says her "sons life is worth more than oil." Another
British mother, Ann Lawrence said her son Mark had a duty to serve his
country but "their country and government had a duty to them and it! brings
us no comfort that Mark died for a lie in an illegal war." John Stockton's
son Simon told him before going to Iraq "Dad, there is a madman over there
and he can deploy weapons of mass destruction in 45 minutes." But, Mr.
Stockton said: "The madman turned out to be the man in charge of our
country"...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18823&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18823

Violence in Iraq shatters election calm as Cheney makes surprise visit
AP
Suicide bombers and gunmen killed nearly two dozen people across Iraq on
Sunday, shattering the relative quiet since the parliament election, as
U.S. Vice-President Dick Cheney made a surprise visit and suggested the
vote could pave the way for beginning a U.S. pullout. Germany's government,
meanwhile, said kidnappers had freed a German woman who was taken hostage
in northern Iraq more than three weeks ago. Susanne Osthoff, a 43-year-old
ai! d worker and archaeologist, was reported in good condition at the
German Embassy in Baghdad...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18815&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18815

Saddam defence to present 40 witnesses
AFP
Lawyers defending Saddam Hussein and seven of his aides, on trial in Iraq
for crimes against humanity, are to present 40 witnesses, including three
ex-ministers, the tribunal prosecutor has said. "The defence will present
40 witnesses, including three ministers from the former regime and other
people currently being detained" by US forces in Iraq, Jaafar al-Mussawi
told AFP Sunday. He said that five or six witnesses were scheduled to give
testimony during the next hearin! g of the trial, to begin Wednesday...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18814&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18814

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Saturday, 17 December 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice
In a dispatch posted at 12:50pm Mecca time Saturday afternoon, Mafkarat
al-Islam reported that US forces had razed a building belonging to the
College of Sciences of the University in ar-Ramadi in western Iraq. The
correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam reported local eyewitnesses as saying
that the US forces surrounded the college building Saturday morning, m!
ined it with explosives and then backed away and detonated them, completely
destroying the building. The correspondent reported that the reason for the
destruction of the college building was as yet unknown...

<http://www.uruknet.com/?s1=1&p=18813&s2=19>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.com/?p=18813

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it was
an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more,
<http://www.uruknet.com/unsub1.php>click here to unsubscribe from the
newsletter.