[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 25 Oct 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

The ground war in Syria has begun
Xymphora
Syria is in grave danger of attack and destruction by the United States,
and Iran isn't, simply because the neocons take their marching orders from
Israel, and the Likudniks want regime change in Syria, and the ultimate
destruction of that country. The secular Syrian government, with its strong
ties to pan-Arab nationalism, is the biggest nightmare for the Likudniks,
and it is no accident that the two first targets, Iraq and Syria, were both
secular governments which fou! ght internal religious strife from Islamists
by appealing to Arab identity. The sudden withdrawal of American troops
from Iraq, after a suitable time to prepare the country for civil war,
including the use of agents provocateurs, was the plan all along, in order
to lead to the civil war which will break up Iraq into warring factions,
and eventually create the Shi'ite empire led by Iran which is intended to
be the new de facto Israeli ally...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17167&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17167

When Will the Times Apologize?
Matthew Rothschild
I expected an apology from the editor and the publisher of The New York
Times on Sunday. But I didn’t get it, and neither did you. It’s been more
than a week now since the Times began to air out Judith Miller’s dirty
laundry (...) The most troubling thing about the Judith Miller affair is
the possibility, as Arianna Huffington warned all along, that Miller might
have been acting as some sort of double agent for the Cheneyiacs. It was
incumbent upon the editors of ! the Times to figure that out before going
to the mat for Miller and turning her into a hero...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17162&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17162

Pre-Emptive War Against Patrick Fitzgerald
Rep. John Conyers
As if spin and character attacks were a viable justification for a massive
breach of national security, Republicans have already decided to smear
Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald rather than take responsibility for
their own misdeeds. Prevailing wisdom expects grand jury indictments to be
issued this week. Any criminal charges will likely reach deep into the
White House. Over the weekend, the GOP spin machine gave us a preview of
what we can expect! from the Republican Party when we finally learn who
outed CIA operative Valerie Plame Wilson...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17161&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17161

Former Abu Ghraib General: Torture Is Continuing; Order Came From Very Top
Steve Watson, Paul Watson & Alex Jones
The General commanding troops in Iraq whose career was ruined in the Abu
Ghraib torture scandal, Janis Karpinski, appeared on the Alex Jones Show
yesterday and made some amazing revelations. Army Reserve Brig. Gen. Janis
Karpinski will be reduced to the rank of colonel as a result of an Army
Inspector General investigation into a scandal that tarnished the United
States' reputation abroad and set in m! otion a string of high-level
inquiries. Karpinski was the only general punished in the abuse of
detainees at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17160&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17160

Baghdad: Iraqi girls claim kidnapping by US soldiers
Iraqwar.mirror-world.ru
...One of the girls who says she was kidnapped, Vijdan Kazem, said, "They
forced us out of the orphanage into Humvee vehicles. We asked, 'Where are
you taking us?' but they hit us. They hit me on the neck with the butt of a
gun. I started screaming and then they threw me from the vehicle in an area
I did not know, but I managed to find my way back to the orphanage. They
also told us on the road that we should say we had been kept in the !
orphanage against our will if asked by police"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17158&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17158

Iraq Charter Ratified, Sunnis Cry Foul
IslamOnline.net
...Saleh Al-Mutlaq, the leader of the Sunni umbrella body Iraqi National
Dialogue Council, cried foul. "The results have been rigged in Mosul,
Nineveh, Diyala and most of the southern provinces," charged Mutlaq in
statements to Al-Jazeera television. He said vote counting is illegal
because it has taken place in Baghdad and not in each of the 18 provinces.
"We call for a fresh referendum under the supervision of the United Nations
and Iraqi judiciary," he sai! d in a fiery mood. "Only then we will
recognize the results"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17157&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17157

Saddam's defense team wants to put Bush on trial
Agence France Presse (AFP)
..."We shall contact international and Arab lawyer associations and will
put forward the proof allowing for a trial of the criminal Bush at the same
time as the fake trial takes place in Iraq," Saleh Armouti told a meeting
of the Amman-based Saddam defense committee. If lawyers abroad fail to take
the case to court, "we shall organize it in Jordan and will invite
international supporters," Armouti said, without specifying on what grounds
! he wanted to try Bush...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17156&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17156

Civil war is a U.S. option in Iraq
Hadi Maraai, Azzaman
...Iraqi casualties and losses are mounting, the country’s infrastructure,
which the U.S. was supposed to modernize, is creaking as a result. But
these issues are no longer a matter of concern for those who once called
themselves "the liberators." The past few months have seen a shift in U.S.
Iraq strategy. It has abandoned the traditional military means it pursued
against armed groups opposing it. The U.S. has become a principal player in
the "match of terr! or" going on in the country. The U.S. is now in fact
feeding violence in Iraq by using the country’s disparate sectarian, ethnic
and religious factions in a way that will eventually help it realize some
of its aims of coming to Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17155&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17155

Exception Sought in Detainee Abuse Ban
ERIC SCHMITT, New York Times
Stepping up a confrontation with the Senate over the handling of detainees,
the White House is insisting that the Central Intelligence Agency be
exempted from a proposed ban on abusive treatment of suspected Qaeda
militants and other terrorists. The Senate defied a presidential veto
threat nearly three weeks ago and approved, 90 to 9, an amendment to a $440
billion military spending bill that would ban the use of "cruel, inhuman or
degrading trea! tment" of any detainee held by the United States
government...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17154&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17154

Fraud and Corruption
A Citizen Of Mosul
The constitution passed the stage of obstructed labor. The biggest fraud in
the history of Iraq. Don't say the referendum at Saddam time was bigger,
NO, although those who vote yes to Saddam were 99.96%, they vote yes
because they can vote nothing but yes. In this referendum we vote "No" but
the result appeared "Yes".
It is a miracle !!!. The preliminary count early after the referendum
revealed 80% "No" in Mosul, but the result 10 days later appeared 55%
"Yes". Did you know what that mean, it mean the puppet government won...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17153&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17153

Mr. Galloway May Go to Washington, Again
Kurt Nimmo, Another day in the empire
...Galloway, of course, never received a dime from Saddam, although he did
launch the Mariam Appeal cancer charity to help a sick Iraqi girl (Mariam
Hamza) and for medical aid to Iraqi children—the helpless children Coleman
is responsible for, as a warmonger and member of Senate who voted for the
invasion, injuring and maiming with cluster bombs and depleted uranium—that
is after Clinton and Bush Senior had thinned the ranks by way of !
monstrous sanctions, that is to say starving kids to death and denying them
medicine (...) In other words, Coleman contends Galloway received money
from Saddam to help the Iraqi children Coleman and his murderous protégés
shamefully attacked...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17152&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17152

Donnie Fowler, Please Tell the Truth
Kurt Nimmo, Another day in the empire
I don’t know about you, but I’m sick and tired of this Fitzgerald crap.
Bush will throw somebody to the howling dogs—Karl, Scooter, Hadley, maybe a
couple lesser and more expendable types down the food chain—and he will
remain in office, unscathed, less damaged than Clinton who suffered a
trouncing over telling a fib under oath (if it was you or me, we’d be
sweating it out in the cooler), while Bush will end up with a scratch no
worse than! what happens after he attempts to ride a bike following an
encounter with Jim Beam. I hate the so-called "partisanship" surrounding
this carnival. It’s sickening the way the corporate media and
"conservative" radio jocks and all the other pundits act like it’s demo
versus repub when a half-smart school kid recently brushed up on current
events will tell you—if he’s honest—there ain’t a lick of difference
betwixt the two...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17151&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17151

La Repubblica's Scoop, Confirmed
Laura Rozen, The American Prospect
With Patrick Fitzgerald widely expected to announce indictments in the CIA
leak investigation, questions are again being raised about the intelligence
scandal that led to the appointment of the special counsel: namely, how the
Bush White House obtained false Italian intelligence reports claiming that
Iraq had tried to buy uranium "yellowcake" from Niger. The key documents
supposedly proving the Iraqi attempt later turned out to be crude
forgeries! , created on official stationery stolen from the African
nation's Rome embassy. Among the most tantalizing aspects of the debate
over the Iraq War is the origin of those fake documents -- and the role of
the Italian intelligence services in disseminating them...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17150&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17150

THE GAME IS NOT LIFE
Monica Benderman, Kevin Benderman Timeline
It’s been two and a half years. There are almost 2000 soldiers deaths
officially accounted for. How many family members does that come to? Is
there a number? The war has cost billions. Where did it all go? Is there an
accurate number? There are thousands of Iraqi causalties. Does anyone know
their names? Has anyone counted? In the wars before, history tells of the
great loss of life – the monetary cost. Are there numbers we can trust?
Hundreds of tho! usands of protestors have marched in a thousand different
cities. Are we sure of the count? Should we count again?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17149&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17149

Friedman on Iraq—the “thinking” behind the New York Times’s debacle
Bill Van Auken, WSWS
Over the past week, the New York Times has carried pages of
self-examination, mea culpas and even sharp criticism in response to the
deepening debacle surrounding the case of its senior correspondent, Judith
Miller. The newspaper, which has long presented itself as the paper of
record for America’s liberal establishment, has been thoroughly discredited
by the Miller affair. The recent revelations regarding the investigation i!
nto the Bush administration’s leaking of the identity of covert CIA
operative Valerie Plame have implicated the newspaper in a criminal state
conspiracy aimed at intimidating political dissent and silencing opposition
to the war in Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17148&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17148

US military suppresses information on death of contractors in Iraq
Patrick Martin, WSWS
US military officials in Iraq are suppressing information on an incident
last month in a town in the Sunni Triangle in which four American
contractors were killed by insurgents and their bodies dragged through the
streets, while crowds denounced the US occupation. The incident took place
September 20 in Duluiya, a town on the Tigris River, when a convoy of
contractors for Kellogg, Brown & Root (KBR), the construction subsidiar! y
of Halliburton Corporation, took a wrong turn while traveling to an Army
base. According to a report October 22 in the Daily Telegraph, a
conservative British newspaper, "As the lorries desperately tried to
reverse out, dozens of Sunni Arab insurgents wielding rocket launchers and
automatic rifles emerged from their homes"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17147&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17147

U.S. Military Deaths Reach 2,000 in Iraq
AP
The U.S. military death toll in the Iraq war reached 2,000 with the
announcements Tuesday of three more deaths. Iraq's constitution was adopted
by a majority in a fair vote during the Oct. 15 referendum, as Sunni Arab
opponents failed to muster enough support to defeat it, election officials
said Tuesday. A prominent Sunni politician called the balloting "a
farce"....

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17146&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17146

Iraqi interior ministry accused of assassinating defence lawyer in Hussein
trial
James Cogan, WSWS
The interior ministry of the pro-US government in Iraq is being directly
accused of carrying out the murder of Sadoun Antar Nudsaif al-Janabi, a key
defence lawyer in the trial of Saddam Hussein and seven others that began
on October 19. Janabi was seized from his office late in the evening on
October 20 by as many as 10 men. Witnesses claim they were wearing police
uniforms. Several hours later, Janabi’s body was f! ound on the street near
Baghdad’s Fardous Mosque. He had been killed execution-style with two
gunshots to the head...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17144&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17144

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Monday, 24 October 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice.
...US warplanes bombed the Barwanah area east of the city of al-Hadithah in
western Iraq at about 6am local time Monday morning. The al-Hadithah
correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam reported residents of Barwanah who
witnessed the raids as saying that the US aircraft bombed one peaceful home
north of Barwanah for no apparent reason, completely destroying the h! ouse
and killing four civilians and wounding three more. The witnesses confirmed
that there were two children and a woman among the dead...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17143&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17143

GI Special 3C93: What's Wrong With This Picture - October 25, 2005
www.militaryproject.org
...Hundreds of new, top-of-the-line armored Humvees are parked in Texas and
Kuwait and won't be shipped to troops in Iraq even though those soldiers
face daily roadside bombs, the Army acknowledged Thursday. The Army said
it's keeping the vehicles out of Iraq until the 3rd Infantry Division's
replacements, the 4th Infantry Division, arrive at the end of the year. But
with reports that more than one in four U.S. soldiers' de! aths in Iraq
have been caused by roadside bombs, members of Congress are incensed that
824 new Humvees won't go straight to Iraq. The newer, so-called "uparmored"
Humvees have better technology to absorb roadside blasts...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17141&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17141

The CIA set them up
Xymphora
I know, I know, I know. We're not supposed to even think that the CIA might
have set up Plamegate, for fear that the neocons might be able to claim
some excuse like entrapment. The neocons are obviously spooked and on the
run. Look at their response, or rather non-response, to the UN Hariri
report, framing Syria for Hariri's assassination so Kofi can get a few more
months of free parking at the UN. In the bad old days, they would have had
a violent response ready, and the bombs! for Israel would already be
falling. The slightly more muted response of the 'cons - outrage based on a
sloppy and incomplete preliminary report based on iffy testimony that some
Syrians might have been involved in blowing up a guy, while blowing up the
city of Falluja is apparently fine - is evidence that they've temporarily
decided to concentrate on saving their own necks rather than indulge their
normal predilection for murdering Arabs (unfortunately, it appears that
they'll get around to murdering Arabs soon enough)...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17145&s2=26>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17145

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it was
an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more,
<http://www.uruknet.com/unsub1.php>click here to unsubscribe from the
newsletter.