[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 27 Oct 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

The Bells Ring In US; the Hearts Hear In Iraq
the woman i was
...Yet I am writing today while the American (announced) death toll reached
2000 yesterday and the reports added another two today. Was it coincident
to announce the (approval) of the Constitution in Iraq with the
announcement of the figure (2000)? As I used to say that President Bush
needed the approval more than the Iraqis. In Iraq we knew that if a miracle
would happen and the all said "NO" the result would be "YES". Bush needs to
tell the Americans! , the tax payers, that he achieved "some thing". The so
called Constitution is an excellent pretext to convince the Americans that
their children are not dying for nothing; they are dying to give the Iraqis
a "democratic country"!!! Since yesterday, the reports are speaking about
the "2000" Americans; no report speaks about the Iraqis death toll!...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17212&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17212

There's No Glory or Honor in Iraq
Stop the Troops!
INGMAR LEE, CounterPunch
...The American military, from top to bottom is a hideous blight on our
planet. There are no innocents in this massive killing machine. There's no
'honour' in volunteering for the worlds largest terrorist organization, now
under the command of the deceitful, criminal cabal led by George W. Bush.
American soldiers are well trained to kill, and obviously, to torture, and
they go off to Iraq all of their own 'free will." They know! that they will
kill, and that they may die. There will not be any "honour," or "glory" for
these stupid youngsters who continue to volunteer themselves for 'duty' in
Bush's appalling adventure...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17216&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17216

Tomgram: Will the Bush Administration Implode?
Tom Engelhardt
.... Probably the key moment of weakness came in August, when Cindy Sheehan
ended up in that famed ditch at the side of a road in Crawford, Texas, and
the President and his men -- undoubtedly feeling their new-found
vulnerability, anxious over an Iraq War gone wrong and the protesting
mother of a dead soldier so near at hand -- blinked. In their former mode,
they would undoubtedly have swept her away in some fashion; instead, they
faltered and sent out! not the Secret Service or some minor bureaucrat, but
two of the President's top men, National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley
and Deputy Chief of Staff Joe Hagin. For forty-five minutes, they
negotiated over her demand to meet George Bush the way you might with a
recalcitrant foreign head of state -- and then she just sent them back,
insisting she would wait where she was to get the President's explanation
for her son's death...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17215&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17215

Still looking for the "lesser evil;" As Bush flounders, Liberal Left left
leaderless
Roy Rollin, Left Hooke
...During the run-up to invasion of Iraq, Democrats in the Senate, like
Hillary Clinton, were besieged by calls and letters from constituents
urging them not to vote in favor of giving Bush a blank check to go to war.
Needless to say, these stalwart "democrats" and self-styled
"representatives of the people" chose to vote with the millionaires and not
the millions. Dean, in fact, was never a real opponent o! f the war to
begin with. Nor were, or are, the Democrats as a party. Whatever
"opposition" they may have mustered back in the days of "WMDs" and "links
to Al Queda," Dean and the more risqué Democrats only opposed the Bush
regime's "unilateralism," preferring to get the seal of approval from the
UN for multi-lateral aggression instead. After all, Bill Clinton starved a
million and a half Iraqis to death with the blessing of the UN...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17214&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17214

Toll 'a sign of US failure'
Gulf Daily News
"It's a sign of failure for the Americans in Iraq," said a store owner
yesterday after the number of US military dead in Iraq hit 2,000, a grimly
symbolic milestone for the American public (...) Some Iraqis also suggested
that US commanders were hiding bigger losses suffered as a result of a
Sunni-led insurgency. "It's not true, it must be much, much higher," said
Assad Haidar, a barber in the Karradat-Mariyam district that lies near the
heavily fortified Green Zone in! central Baghdad.

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17213&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17213

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Real George W. Bush
Stephen Pizzo, News for Real.
For three more years America is going to be led by not just a lame duck
president, but a totally discredited president. In a poll taken yesterday,
90 percent of those asked said they believed top Bush administration
officials are guilty of either illegal or unethical behavior in the CIA
leak case. So where does that leave an un-indicted George W. Bush?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17211&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17211

Saddam Hussein lawyers ask for safety guarantee
Pravda.ru
...A statement signed by Khalil al-Duleimi, who leads the Saddam
hundreds-strong defense team, said poor security put the lawyers and their
families in danger. "Due to the extreme deterioration of the security
situation in Iraq, and the repercussions facing the Iraqi defense team and
their families, we are stopping all dealings with the court until the
situation is reversed," said the statement that was sent to The Associated
Press by facsimile. Al-Duleimi! arrived in Amman, the Jordanian capital,
earlier Wednesday for meetings with other members of the defense team,
including former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17210&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17210

Thomas Friedman and Iraq: A bad case of amnesia
David North, WSWS
...There is one extraordinary statement Friedman made in defense of his
record, however, that merits separate attention. "As readers of my column
know," he wrote, "I barely even mentioned the word Iraq for the first eight
years that I was a columnist. I really only came to the Iraq issue when the
country came to it, post 9/11, when the Bush administration decided it was
going to invade Iraq come what may." As it would be impolite to call Mr.
Friedm! an a liar, I would suggest that he is suffering from some strange
form of selective amnesia—perhaps a sort of Political Alzheimer’s—that has
destroyed his capacity to remember columns that might be a source of
professional embarrassment...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17209&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17209

Iraq referendum produces a divisive and illegitimate result
James Cogan, WSWS
...In recent years, accusations of electoral fraud in countries such as
Serbia, Georgia, the Ukraine and Kyrgyzstan produced scathing denunciations
from Washington and US backing for the removal of governments and their
replacement with ones more amenable to American strategic interests. The
allegations in Iraq, however, were greeted with denial by the Bush
administration and its international allies...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17208&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17208

Bush administration seeks legal sanction for torture
Joseph Kay and Tom Carter, WSWS
On Tuesday, the Washington Post published a front-page article revealing
that Vice President Dick Cheney and CIA Director Porter Goss met with
Arizona Senator John McCain last week to urge the modification of a Senate
provision banning the US government from carrying out "cruel, inhuman, and
degrading treatment" of prisoners in its custody. Cheney’s secret visit,
which was revealed only after it was leaked to the Post, came in re! sponse
to an amendment attached to a military appropriations bill, approved by a
90-9 Senate vote on October 5...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17206&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17206

I call 'regime change' on you
Xymphora
...Now, under the new American law, if a country does something you don't
like, you can call 'regime change', which apparently results in your
self-appointed right to do anything and everything against the civilian
population of the country, including 'shock and awe' and violent oppressive
occupation, in order to force a change in government. Since the Americans
and Israelis are allowed to call 'regime change' based on a shoddy report
which proves nothing at all, there reall! y is no such thing as national
sovereignty anymore...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17205&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17205

Three U.S. Soldiers Killed in Iraq
THOMAS WAGNER, The Associated Press
Insurgents using roadside bombs and small arms fire killed three U.S.
soldiers and wounded four, the military said Thursday. Meanwhile, U.S.
aircraft destroyed more militant safe houses near the Syrian border and
apparently killed a senior al-Qaida in Iraq figure who was using religious
courts to try Iraqis who supported coalition forces, the military said. In
Baghdad, back-room dealmaking continued as political blocs sought to forge
new allia! nces before the Friday deadline for them to file candidate lists
for Iraq's Dec. 15 election...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17204&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17204

16 Year Old Anti-War Protester Arrested In Palm Harbor, Florida
Jay Shaft, Globalresearch.ca
On October 22, at approximately 4:00 pm, deputies from the Pinellas County,
FL Sheriffs Department arrested a 16-year-old boy who was engaged in a
peaceful roadside demonstration. The groups St. Pete for Peace, St Pete
Food Not Bombs, and the Curlew Bloggers were having a street corner
demonstration against the Iraq war and the Bush administration. The
teenager was standing on the side of the road holding a sign that said!
"F*ck Bush". The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Marianne
Pasha told the St. Petersburg Times the arrest resulted from the disruption
to traffic and the teen's refusal to move...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17203&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17203

GI Special 3C95: " Grieve A Little And Move On" - October 27, 2005
www.militaryproject.org
...Yesterday, in another hand-picked audience propaganda speech in front of
military spouses, George Bush said: "This war will require more sacrifice,
more time and more resolve." Besides asking him for What Noble Cause did he
kill 2,000 of our wonderful and brave young people, I would also like to
ask George what he is sacrificing. Is he even sacrificing a good night's
sleep? Is he sacrificing his future with his child? ! He is not sacrificing
anything. He and his cabal of warmongering crooks are asking us Americans
to give up our lives and our children's lives for his lies and mistakes,
and I am sure the grim milestone barely caused a blip in their souls
yesterday...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17200&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17200

GI Special 3C94: 2000 Gone - October 26, 2005
www.militaryproject.org
...For the first time, a majority of Americans believe the Iraq war was the
"wrong thing to do", according to a poll published in The Wall Street
Journal. In the Wall Street Journal poll, 53 percent of those surveyed said
they felt that "taking military action against Iraq was the... wrong thing
to do", against 34 percent who thought it was correct. The percentage of
people opposing the US-led invasion of the country in March 2003 was up
from! a figure of 49 percent in a parallel poll in September, rising above
50 percent for the first time since the surveys began...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17199&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17199

Blair: Making Life Difficult for Average Iranians
Kurt Nimmo, Another day in the empire
Tony Blair is a man of his word—or he is when it comes to threatening
millions of innocent people. Blair "warned Iran that life could become 'a
lot more difficult’ if it carries on defying the international community,"
the UK Mirror reports. Indeed—the same way life became "difficult" for
millions of Iraqis over the last decade, from invasions to sanctions,
resulting in massive death, disease, and suffering...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17197&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17197

Plamegate: Worse than Watergate
Arianna Huffington
It's getting hard to keep track of all the lies we've been told. Here's a
quick cheat sheet: We now know that Cheney lied to the American people
about his involvement in the effort to smear Joe Wilson. Three months after
reportedly receiving a briefing about Wilson's trip to Niger from George
"Slam Dunk" Tenet, and then telling Scooter Libby that Plame may have
helped arrange her husband's trip, the Vice President went on national TV
and told Tim Russert he didn'! t have a clue about the situation: "I don't
know Joe Wilson... I don't know who sent Joe Wilson... I have no idea who
hired him and it never came up." We now know that Karl Rove lied about his
involvement, too...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17194&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17194

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Wednesday, 26 October 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice
US F-16 warplanes attacked peaceful houses of residents in the al-'Ishsh
area in the middle of the village of ar-Rummanah, east of the city of
al-Qa’im, located near the Syrian border at 3:30am local time Wednesday
morning. The Mafkarat al-Islam correspondent reported residents of the area
as saying that the American bomb raids targeted three houses in the !
middle of the village. They were completely destroyed, killing more than 20
local residents, all of them villagers. Dr. 'Ammar al-Marsumi told the
Mafkarat al-Islam correspondent in al-Qa’im General Hospital that the
Hospital had so far received 25 bodies, most of them women and children...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17196&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17196

2000, Why? Not One More
Cindy Sheehan
Unfortunately the 2000th American death in Iraq is tragically coming up too
soon. In addition to the wasted young lives in Iraq, 246 of our brave men
and women have been killed in Afghanistan. Our troops and the war in
Afghanistan get even less attention than Iraq, if possible. I am in
Washington, DC now and along with a coalition of peace groups and local
activists, we will be holding vigils at the White House for the rest of the
week from 12 noon to 8 PM...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17193&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17193

U.S.: License to Abuse Would Put CIA Above the Law
AlterNet
The Bush administration is now the only government in the world to claim a
legal justification for mistreating prisoners during interrogations, Human
Rights Watch said today. The administration recently approached members of
the U.S. Congress to seek a waiver that would allow the CIA to use cruel,
inhumane, or degrading treatment on detainees in U.S. custody outside the
United States...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17192&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17192

Iraqi Vote Lights The Fuse
Robert Dreyfuss
To no one’s surprise, on the day that U.S. deaths in Iraq passed the
symbolic 2,000 mark, the U.S.-installed Iraqi government announced, fully
10 days after the October 15 referendum, that voters in Iraq had backed the
ersatz constitution. And so now the fuse is lit. Though the vote is being
lavishly praised by the spokesmen for the Bush administration, it is in
fact the prelude to the final unraveling of Iraq. No one but the most
credulous can believe that the vote tall! y in Iraq is an accurate one...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=17191&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: http://www.uruknet.info/?p=17191

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it was
an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more,
<http://www.uruknet.com/unsub1.php>click here to unsubscribe from the
newsletter.