[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 22 Sep 2005 - Part Two]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

The Inevitable War with Iran
Mike Whitney
If Washington wants a war with Iran, there'll be a war with Iran. That's
the great lesson of the Iraq war; once the decision is made, there's no
turning back. So, why are the main-players; England, France and Germany
stumbling over themselves trying to placate Bush as though the conflict can
be avoided? Threatening to bring Iran before the Security Council won't
alter the administrations plans one bit. Like the Downing Street memo
stated, "The facts and intelligence were! fit to meet the policy". It's the
same here. No amount of groveling from the EU-3 will appease Washington
once Tehran is in its crosshairs. The EU-3 would be better off sending arms
and ammunition to Iran so the people can defend themselves once bombs start
to fly...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16034&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16034

Resort to Deception
Ghali Hassan, Axis of Logic
The resort to deception by governments and the mass media to manipulate the
population has been an obsession of Western powers. The illegal invasion
and occupation of Iraq by U.S. forces provides the best recent example
murderous atrocities based on deception. In their seminal book ‘Weapons of
Mass Deception’, Sheldon Rampton and John Stauber wrote: “[T]he Bush
administration has engaged in a deliberate and extraordinarily aggressive
effort to rally public support f! or a war on Iraq, using propaganda,
misinformation, distortions and outright lies”. From the big lie of Weapons
of Mass Destruction (WMD) invented in Washington and London to the big lie
of Abu Mussab Al-Zarqawi, the alleged Al-Qaeda mastermind, resort to
deception is the art of Western powers...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16038&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16038

Iraqi resistance earns world’s respect
John Catalinotto, Workers World
In the more than two years since they began an armed struggle against the
illegal U.S. occupation of their country, the Iraqi resistance has earned
the respect of the world’s people. Not only throughout Arab and Muslim
lands, but at gatherings like the World Social Forum in India and Brazil,
references to the Iraqi resistance were cheered. Spokespeople for the
anti-globalization movement like Arundhati Roy as well as Marxists openly
call for s! olidarity with the Iraqi resistance. It is easy to understand
why the Iraqi fighters have earned this solidarity. And it is time to
extend the same solidarity from the anti-war movement here...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16044&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16044

RAPID RESPONSE MEDIA ALERT:
IMMEDIATE WITHDRAWAL FROM IRAQ - THE GUARDIAN BLANKS PUBLIC OPINION
Media Lens
We do not know whether Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger wrote yesterday's
leader on "Britain's post-invasion commitment to Iraq", but we assume that
he approved it. ('Signposting the Exit,' The Guardian, September 21, 2005)
"No one is arguing for an immediate pull-out", the editorial claims.
Presumably those calling for an immediate withdrawal, including many in the
anti-war movement, do not exist...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16036&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16036

Connecting the dots: IRAQ & PALESTINE
The Israeli lobby and the Iraq War
Mazin Qumsiyeh
...To me the most interesting misinformation disseminated both among some
in the left and the right is that US foreign policy in Iraq and in
supporting Israel’s destruction of Palestine are merely related to US
“strategic interests.” They may differ in their formulation of the main US
“interests”, but you hear the same argument from leftists like Noam Chomsky
and Stephen Zunes and rightists like Paul Wolfowi! tz and Richard Perle.
This mistaken notion in fact was pushed and articulated by the Israeli
lobby and Israeli apologists in the media for decades well before neocons
and some leftists adopted it. The Israeli lobby in Washington was never
monolithic and new that to be effective it had to get into both major
parties in the US...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16050&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16050

Two years on, Iran is the only clear winner of war on Saddam
Richard Beeston, Times
...The most recent group targeted were former Iraqi pilots who flew
missions against Iran in the Iran-Iraq war. A resident of Basra said: “Once
these people were heroes for us. Who else would want them dead?” Iraqis
claim that it is now impossible to get a government job without the
sponsorship of one of these groups, dominated by Iraqis who spent years in
exile in Iran. Locals also complain that Iranian goods are flooding local
m! arkets and that in many places Farsi has become a second language. Those
complaints are also directed against members of the Shia-dominated
Government of Iraq, including Ibrahim al-Jaafari, the Prime Minister, and
Abdel Aziz al-Hakim, head of the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution
in Iraq, which is Iraq’s largest Shia party. Both lived for several years
in Tehran during the Saddam era and maintain close contacts there. ..

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16049&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16049

The logic of colonial rule
Tariq Ali, The Guardian
There is now near-universal agreement that the western occupation of Iraq
has turned out to be an unmitigated disaster; first for the people of Iraq,
second for the soldiers sent by scoundrel politicians to die in a foreign
land. The grammar of deceit utilised by Bush, Blair and sundry
neocon/neolib apologists to justify the war has lost all credibility.
Despite the embedded journalists and non-stop propaganda, the bloody images
refuse to go away: the immediate w! ithdrawal of all foreign troops is the
only meaningful solution...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16045&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16045

A Movement Gathers Power on the Sorrow Plateau
Why We Must Resolve that a Better Faith is Possible
Greg Moses
The movement for peace and justice in the USA has been transformed during
the past two months. But what is the nature of the change, and how will it
help to move us forward? The short answer, I think, is that we have been
enriched by sorrow; we gather upon a sorrow plateau. Because of this place
we have come to, we have new opportunities to broaden the scope of our
power to sustain lasting cha! nge for freedom. Sorrow is the new power that
Cindy Sheehan brought into the movement last month. And the power of our
sorrow has grown in response to the sufferings caused by hurricane Katrina.
This sorrow has not overcome us, but it has infused our motivations. Out of
this sorrow comes a renewed sense of our struggle's significance...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16035&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16035

Basra attack echoes SAS actions in North
Jarlath Kearney
Sinister covert operations by British forces in Iraq are “reminscent of the
activities of the SAS" in the North, a leading human rights campaigner said
last night. Paul O'Connor, of the Derry-based Pat Finucane Centre (PFC),
demanded that the British government “break the cycle of abuse" imposed by
its forces.
He also questioned the “sheepish" decision by large sections of the media
to “report the MOD line as established fact"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16043&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16043

Iraqis refused entry into country
Aljazeera.net
Hundreds of Iraqis have been stuck on the Syrian side of the Iraq-Syria
border after being refused entry by Iraqi security forces. The stranded
Iraqis are mainly travellers returning to their country after visiting
neighbouring Syria, Jordan and Saudi Arabia. The government in Baghdad has
given no indication it plans to look into the issue. News reports suggest
that dozens of pilgrims from Makkah in Saudi Arabia are among those stuck
in the desert along with sick pe! ople and their families. The Iraqis have
appealed to human rights organisations to intervene and convince their
government to let them enter the country...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16042&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16042

Basra officials to boycott UK troops
Aljazeera.net
Local authorities in Iraq's southern city of Basra have said they will
refuse to engage with British troops following a British raid on a police
station this week. "All regular meetings between the governorate and
British troops have been cancelled and we will not allow British soldiers
into the governorate building or any other public office in Basra," Nadim
al-Jaabari, spokesman for the provincial governor, told AFP on Thursday...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16041&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16041

Report from Binghamton
Trial of the St. Patrick's Four
LUCIA DAILEY
...On March 17, 2003 Teresa Grady, Clare Grady, Daniel Burns and Peter De
Mott performed a non-violent act of protest against the impending invasion
of Iraq. They poured a small amount of their own blood in the vestibule of
an army recruiting center, read a statement, then knelt and prayed and no
way obstructed access to the office its exits or its officials. Arrested by
local authorities, charged with felony "criminal mischief," they !
eloquently defended themselves in court and explained they believed their
actions were justified in light of the US Constitution, international law,
and moral imperatives while expressing their shared revulsion and outrage
at the killing of innocents by the US in an illegal, unjust, unprovoked war
against Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16040&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16040

Two US soldiers die in Iraq, 8 civilians killed
Daily Times
A roadside bomb hit a US convoy in southern Baghdad, killing one soldier
and wounding six, while suspected insurgents gunned down at least eight
Iraqis in four separate attacks on Thursday, officials said. The US
military also said an American soldier died on Wednesday night of injuries
sustained in a vehicle accident near Kirkuk...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16052&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16052

Tomgram: Michael Schwartz on Immediate Withdrawal
Tom Engelhardt & Michael Schwartz
Not long after Baghdad fell to American troops, it was already apparent
that the United States was part of the problem, not part of the solution,
in Iraq; and that, as long as the American military occupied the country,
matters would just get worse. Every passing month has only predictably
confirmed that reality. There's no reason to believe that the next year of
our military presence will be any less destabilizing than the last.! ..

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16039&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16039

Mr.Blair, an explanation, please!!
Timothy Bancroft-Hinchey, Pravda.ru
British soldiers in terrorist attack? What is going on in Iraq? That
nothing would surprise anyone now, two and a half years into the incredible
act of mass butchery called the war in Iraq, in which a sovereign nation
was attacked, its infrastructures destroyed and tens of thousands of its
civilians slaughtered in an unprovoked and unfounded casus belli, is
nothing new. But day-by-day, new chasms of incredulity are opened with
revelations whic! h would have appeared absurd only a few years ago...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16046&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16046

The Backdoor to Military Rule in America
Jacob G. Hornberger
Without any doubt, the most dangerous threat to the freedom of the American
people in our lifetime lies with what might be called the Padilla doctrine,
an exercise of such raw military power that, if upheld, will totally
transform life in America as we know it. Unfortunately most Americans
remain blissfully unaware of the ominous implications of this doctrine...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16031&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16031

WHAT IS THE PRICE FOR YOUR CHILD'S LIFE?
Michael Rivero, What Really Happened
No, seriously, how much would you charge me to let me kill your kid? I'll
make up a whole batch of comfortable lies about it so you can assuage your
guilt when your kid comes home in a cheap box with a cheaper flag draped
over it, but, c'mon, let's talk money here. How much? No? Ummm, okay, how
much will you charge me to let someone else's kids get killed? Better deal,
huh? You don't have to know them, and I'll try to make sure you don! 't
have to see them... I know the above sounds absurd, but this deal had
indeed been made. In exchange for money, a certain group of people have
agreed to let your kids be killed...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16030&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16030

Lapdog White House Press Corps(e) Plays Dead Again!
Jesse, Editor , TVNewsLIES.org
...President Bush held the briefing at the Pentagon to keep the nation up
to date on his great successes in the global war on terrorism, otherwise
known as the unending wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Generals George Casey
and John Abizaid played intro to the main attraction, and long absent Veep
Cheney, aneurism and all, stood solemnly in the background. Hmm, there must
be an anti-war protest coming soon. And wouldn’t you know, it w! as time to
pull the 9/11 - terror - terrorist connections out of mothballs again. The
President’s redundant speech was filled with the same old lies that
withdrawing American forces from Iraq would make the world more dangerous
and would allow terrorists “to claim an historic victory over the United
States”...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=16027&s2=23>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=16027

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.