[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 20 Sep 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Who's Blowing Up Iraq? New evidence that bombs are being planted by British
Mike Whitney
...The al-Zarqawi phantasm is a particularly weak-link in the Pentagon's
muddled narrative. The facts neither support the allegations of his
participation nor prove that foreigners are a major contributor to the
ongoing violence. Instead, the information points to a Defense
establishment that cannot be trusted in anything it says and that may be
directly involved in the terrorist-bombings that have killed countless
thous! ands of Iraqi civilians (...) Since this article was written, the
Washington Post has added to our suspicions. In an Ellen Knickmeyer article
"British Smash into Iraqi Jail to free 2 detained Soldiers" 9-20-05,
Knickmeyer chronicles the fighting between British forces and Iraqi police
who were detaining 2 British commandos. "THE IRAQI SECURITY OFFICIALS ON
MONDAY VARIOUSLY ACCUSED THE TWO BRITONS THEY DETAINED OF SHOOTING AT IRAQI
FORCES or TRYING TO PLANT EXPLOSIVES" (...)An interview on Syrian TV last
night also alleges that the British commandos "were planting explosives in
one of the Basra streets"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15926&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15926

British “Pseudo-Gang” Terrorists Exposed in Basra
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
Baghdad Dweller reports two British soldiers held by “Iraqi authorities” in
Basra (also described as “Shiite militiamen” in the corporate media), and
subsequently freed after the British stormed a police jail, were working
undercover as bombers. Baghdad Dweller includes a link to the Washington
Post, where the following appears: “Iraqi security officials on Monday
variously accused the two Britons they detained of shooting at ! Iraqi
forces or trying to plant explosives. Photographs of the two men in custody
showed them in civilian clothes.” The Herald notes the following: “Sources
say the British soldiers, possibly members of the new Special
Reconnaissance Regiment formed earlier this month to provide intelligence
for SAS operations, were looking at infiltration of the city’s police by
the followers of the outspoken Shi’ite cleric, Moqtada al Sadr,” thus
admitting the soldiers worked undercover...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15936&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15936

Carry on Killing
Jeff Wells, Rigorous Intuition
...Damn the blind eyes of anyone who still can't see after Basra (...)
Walking into the untidied mess of this astonishing and grotesque and
predictable story feels a bit like the British detective catching the
killer red-handed: "Well well well, what have we here?" We have long had
reason to suspect imperial instigation to Iraq's sectarian violence, but
here, as clearly as we've ever seen it, is the provocateur state revealed:
two British "undercover soldiers! " in Arab dress, caught firing upon
police from a car laden with explosives. And the British government all but
admitting its culpability by breaking them out of prison. It doesn't make
sense? Only if you haven't been paying attention. This is the subtext of
the Iraq tragedy: blow up the Hajis and play the Sunnis on the Shias;
create the chaos that introduces the conditions necessary for the
long-game, and the long-held aspirations of the neoconservatives to divide
Iraq into ethnographic bantustans...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15932&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15932

Middle East Press: "Suspicions occupation involved in armed operations
against civilians and places of worship"
GlobalResearch.ca
... In fact, this incident gave answers to questions and suspicions that
were lacking evidence about the participation of the occupation in some
armed operations in Iraq. Many analysts and observers here had suspicions
that the occupation was involved in some armed operations against civilians
and places of worship and in the killing of scientists. But those were only
suspicions that l! acked proof. The proof came today through the arrest of
the two British soldiers while they were planting explosives in one of the
Basra streets. This proves, according to observers, that the occupation is
not far from many operations that seek to sow sedition and maintain
disorder, as this would give the occupation the justification to stay in
Iraq for a longer period....

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15924&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15924

British "Undercover Soldiers" Caught driving Booby Trapped Car
"They refused to say what their mission was."
Globalresearch.ca
The following Reuters report raises some disturbing questions. Why were
undercover British soldiers wearing traditional Arab headscarves firing at
Iraqi police? The incident took place just prior to a major religious event
in Basra. The report suggests that the police thought the British soldiers
looked "suspicious". What was the nature of their mission? Occupation
forces a! re supposesd to be collaborating with Iraqi authorities. Why did
Britsh Forces have to storm the prison using tanks and armoured vehicles to
liberate the British undercover agents? "British forces used up to 10 tanks
" supported by helicopters " to smash through the walls of the jail and
free the two British servicemen." Was there concern that the British
"soldiers" who were being held by the Iraqi National Guard would be obliged
to reveal the nature and objective of their undercover mission?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15941&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15941

Armed clashes between Iraqis and British soldiers in Iraqi Basra, Iraqi
demonstrators set British tanks on fire, two civilian killed
Pictures
Iraqwar.ru
An Iraqi man waves a stick as a British soldier exits a burning tank during
clashes in Basra...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15935&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15935

Iraq Images Shock Britain, But Blair is Safe
Peter Graff, Reuters
A burning British soldier scrambles out of his flaming tank as angry Iraqis
hurl rocks and petrol bombs. The striking images from Basra are splashed
across the front page of nearly every British newspaper. A few months ago
British Prime Minister Tony Blair might have suffered the fallout. Now,
safely re-elected for a third and final term, the war in Iraq can no longer
bring him down...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15933&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15933

Muqtada Al-Sadr's Response to Basra Events - Achcar Translation
Juan Cole, Informed Comment
...Two soldiers from the British occupation forces opened fire on
passers-by in the vicinity of a religious center where the people of Basra
use to go, after which police patrols have a white car and arrested two
persons riding it. It was found that they are British, and British
occupation forces intervened to try to set them free. The people of Basra
demonstrated to prevent this from occurring, and occupation forces react!
ed by opening fire on the demonstrators killing and wounding many of them.
In retaliation the inhabitants burned two British tanks. The two Britons
that were arrested had in their possession explosives and remote-control
devices, as well as light and medium weapons and other accessories...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15930&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15930

The day that Iraqi anger exploded in the face of the British occupiers
Helen McCormack, The Independent
The dramatic events began to unfold just before dawn yesterday, when two
British nationals were detained by Iraqi authorities. It emerged later that
they were British soldiers. Dressed in plain clothes - according to some
they were wearing traditional Arab dress - the two men had been driving in
an unmarked car when they arrived at a checkpoint in the city...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15945&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15945

Iraqi police accused British soldiers of planting bombs.
Jonathan Finer and Omar Fekeiki, Washington Post
Heavy clashes erupted Monday between Iraqi police and British soldiers
based in Basra, Iraq's second-largest city, witnesses said. The clashes are
the latest in surging tensions in Basra, a Shiite-dominated city that had
long been one of Iraq's calmest. Attacks have targeted Britons and
Americans there. Monday's clashes stemmed from the arrest by Iraqi police
on Sunday of two Britons, whom Iraqi police accu! sed of planting bombs...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15947&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15947

FLASHBACK: Sick strategies for senseless slaughter
John Kaminski
...Beyond the American attempt to pacify an outraged and abused nation
through demonic destruction, and beyond the Iraqi attempt to resist this
totalitarian takeover by a foreign conqueror, there are more than numerous
acts of violence that simply can't be understood by straightforward
explanations. I mean, when a mosque blows up and Americans blame Islamic
terrorists, whether Sunni or Shiite, it makes no sense. Muslims never blow
up their own house! s of worship. Or when reporters sympathetic to either
the Iraqi cause of freedom, or even just general principles of
international justice, are suddenly assassinated and the blame is placed on
often imaginary Islamic extremists whose perspective is supported by these
writers, how can anyone believe that Muslims did it, even thought this is
what the Zionist American press and government continue to insist. So who’s
doing all these demented deeds? As if we didn’t know ....

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15949&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15949

9 American soldiers, security agents killed in Iraq
Associated Press
The U.S. military said Tuesday that four U.S. soldiers died in two roadside
bombings near the insurgent stronghold of Ramadi and a fifth died in a
blast north of Baghdad, pushing the toll of American forces killed in Iraq
past 1,900. Also Tuesday, the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad said a suicide car
bombing killed four other Americans — a diplomatic security agent and three
private security agents — traveling in a convoy Monday in Mosul. The four
were! attached to the embassy's regional office in the northern city,
Iraq's third-largest, said spokesman Peter J. Mitchell....

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15942&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15942

Tomgram: Michael Klare on Iraq's Missing Sea of Oil
Tom Engelhardt & Michael Klare
...From all that can be seen, oil production in Iraq is likely to remain
depressed for years, no matter how much more blood is shed in its pursuit.
It is already evident that American military action will not lead to
democracy in Iraq, merely to the division of the country into separate
ethnic enclaves, one possibly ruled by Iranian-like ayatollahs; it can now
also be said that we will not gain any additional petroleum supplies as! a
result of all this sacrifice and tragedy. Not only has the use of force to
procure Iraqi oil failed to achieve its intended results, it has actually
made the situation worse...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15946&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15946

GI Special 3C58: Respect To D - September 20, 2005
www.militaryproject.org
From: D, Wounded Iraq Soldier's Mom To: GI Special:
I do speak to a lot of soldiers - this one just joined up and he is in for
a big surprise, what he will be really doing. He is from Virginia and they
all told him all this, and now he told me I was right - so I guess there is
proof to my knowledge about the lies they tell. I do get your emails [GI
Special] to all the soldiers - some just say they agree and others are so
hard core (brainwashed) that I will help them if they make it back to the
VA wounded...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15927&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15927

Democratic Hallucinations in Afghanistan and Iraq
Ivan Eland
Insular and secretive presidential administrations often deny reality to
the point of absurdity when they blunder into foreign misadventures. The
classic example is the Johnson administration during the Vietnam War. The
Bush administration's current quagmires in Iraq and even Afghanistan are
taking on that air. For example, the administration is congratulating
itself on the Afghan legislative and provincial election day passing
without rampant strikes b! y a resurgent Taliban; recent attacks have
spiked to the worst levels since that group was removed from power in
2001...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15943&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15943

Extended tours of some US military units eyed in Iraq: Pentagon
AFP
US military planners are considering extended tours of duty for some units
in Iraq if more US troops are needed for the upcoming elections there, a
Pentagon spokesman said. Lawrence DiRita, the defense department's chief
spokesman, said it was "entirely possible" commanders would want to boost
the force in Iraq beyond its current level of 140,000...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15940&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15940

The People with the Blood-Soaked Hands
Will Neocon Fanaticism Destroy America?
PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS, CounterPunch
The "cakewalk war" is now two and one-half years old. US casualties (dead
and wounded) number 20,000. As 20,000 is the number of Iraqi insurgents
according to US military commanders, each insurgent is responsible for one
US casualty. US troops in Iraq number about 150,000. Obviously, US troops
have not inflicted 150,000 casualties on the Iraqi insurgents. US troops
have perhaps inflicted 150,! 000 casualties on the Iraqi civilian
population, primarily women and children who are the "collateral damage" of
the "righteous" and "virtuous" US invasion that is spreading civilian
deaths all over Mesopotamia in the name of democracy...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15938&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15938

“Bring Them Home Now Tour” stops in Pittsburgh
Families of fallen US soldiers: "We are on a mission—we don’t want any more
dead"
Samuel Davidson, WSWS
One of the three legs of the “Bring Them Home Now Tour” made a stop in
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, September 11-13. The bus tour includes
participants of “Camp Casey,” the nearly month-long protest held last month
outside George W. Bush’s Crawford, Texas, vacation home. Cindy Sheehan,
whose son Casey was killed in Iraq on April 4, 2004, demanded a! meeting
with the president, which he never granted.

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15937&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15937

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Monday, 19 September 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. ( http://www.freearabvoice.org )
Contrary to reports in much of the western and Arab media, the Iraqi
Resistance is still fighting in the northern city of Tall ‘Afar, the
Mafkarat al-Islam correspondent in the city reported on Monday. The
correspondent wrote that the Resistance is not only still in the city where
it attacks the US and Iraqi puppet army tr! oops from time to time, tu it
remains in control of several neighborhoods, specifically the neighborhoods
of ash-Shurtah, as-Saray, al-Mu‘allimin, and the area of the covered
market. Altogether the parts of the city that the Resistance controls
constitute 55 percent of Tall ‘Afar...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15929&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15929

Saddam trial date contested
News24.com
Saddam Hussein's legal team has not been informed by Iraqi authorities of
the date set for his trial and is unaware of the charges against him, his
Iraqi lawyer said in a statement received on Tuesday by AFP. "We have not
been duly informed about any certain date for a trial," Khalil Dulaimi said
in the seven-point statement. "The defence has not been enabled to review
any files of the charges or even any paper of investigation, despite the
fact that we have made many and re! peated requests to this effect," he
said...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15928&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15928

The Slime Artist
Et Tu, Greg Palast?
GEORGE GALLOWAY
Until a couple of days ago I hadn't heard of Greg Palast in years, the man
who claims to have been pursuing me with questions for two months. He has
never phoned, written, emailed or made any other contact with me, which is
curiously reminiscent of the behavior of the US Senate committee. Having
now forced myself to look at his pernicious writing, it seems like the
deranged ramblings you might expect to find pushed out from under the door
of a locked ! ward. He claims to be a journalist. He clearly doesn't get
much work. Palast conflates meetings, truths and half-truths, statements
taken out of context to produce a toxic smear which would be actionable in
the country he claims to work in, my country...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15939&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15939

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.