[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 19 Sep 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Let them Die or Let them go
Mike Whitney
I have a word of advice I would like to offer Donald Rumsfeld and the
Pentagon chieftains who currently preside over the 200 or more
hunger-strikers at Guantanamo Bay, 20 of whom are near death. For God's
sake, let them die. What more could you possibly want from them? They've
already provided you with the subjects you needed for your newly-perfected
sense-deprivation techniques and your sadistic methods of torture. They
supplied you with the lab-rats for your new drugs, ! your improved methods
of psychological torment, and your sexually-deviant abuses. Now, let them
die. The experiment is over. Show that there is some speck of humanity left
in your withered heart by allowing these men to pass away with dignity; the
dignity you deprived them of in life. The hunger-strike has been going on
for 6 weeks. That means that a considerable number of the prisoners are
undergoing the latter phases of physical deterioration...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15908&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15908

UPDATE: (Manhattan): Cindy Sheehan ushered away and rally organizer
arrested by police.
Five of Diamonds, Daily Kos
I witnessed this with my own eyes. Here is my account. Other accounts are
popping up elsewhere on the blogosphere. These other sources clarify that
Cindy was rushed away and an event organizer was arrested (things I
couldn't see through the crowd). I initially thought Cindy herself was
arrested, that was the consensus of the confused crowd, but that is not
what happened. Commenter histopresto has ! a great idea: "She's supposed to
appear at St. John the Divine tonight, so could somebody in the city report
back from that event?"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15923&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15923

EYEWITNESSES: Cindy Sheehan Speech/Rally Ended by Police in NYC
Brad Friedman, The BRAD BLOG
Reports from eye-witnesses are now emerging on the net...that a "Camp
Casey" Peace Rally in NYC was broken up earlier today by police just as
Cindy Sheehan was beginning to speak. Unclear whether she was arrested or
not at this time... The rally in NYC is "one of 200 hundred in 28 states
over 21 days," according to Reuters. Sheehan is working her way with other
anti-war activists towards Washington, D.C. where a massive a! nti-war
rally is scheduled to be held this weekend in front of the White House and
on the mall...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15917&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15917

The Enemy and the Nuremberg Principles
Robert Thompson, Axis of Logic
...I have taken a handful of those involved as specimens rather than
examining the record of every person within the Bush Administration, for
the simple reason that I do not know enough about so many of the persons
under general public accusation, so I have limited these comments to the
following: George Walker Bush, Mr Richard Cheney, Mr Colin Powell, Mr
Donald Rumsfeld, Mr Paul Wolfowitz, Dr Condoleezza Rice. Taking first the
offences defined! in Principle VI, the known facts as reported (even by
their supporters in the media) lead to the inevitable conclusion that,
although there is doubt about the guilt of Mr Colin Powell, the others were
all involved in : (a) Crimes against peace, in that they planned, prepared,
initiated and waged a war of aggression against Iraq in violation of the
international agreement as contained in clearly worded Security Council
Resolutions...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15905&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15905

War! What is good for? Never-ending profits!
Chris Floyd, Empire Burlesque
We've said it before and we'll say it again and we'll keep on saying it
because it is the indisputable, undeniable truth: Bush and his faction
waged war on Iraq for money. That's it. That's all there is to it. Yes,
they wanted leverage over the oil. Yes, they had (and have) grand
geopolitical designs that "required" the invasion. Yes, they had blinkered
ideologues willing to use the blood and guts of 100,000 innocent people as
raw material! for their lunatic experiments. But behind all of this is the
unbridled lust for ill-gotten, unearned loot -- loot on an unimaginable
scale, loot which will augment their political power by several magnitudes
and extend their malign influence on domestic and world politics for
generations...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15903&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15903

Global blowback
Lieven De Cauter
... The fact is and remains, the war in Iraq as a war of aggression has
destroyed the international legal order that was building up slowly but
steadily since World War II. Add to this war crimes like the use of cluster
bombs against civilians and the use of depleted uranium in munitions, the
slaughtering of entire cities (Falluja, Al Qaim, Haditha -- ongoing but we
don't know because Western mainstream media doesn't bother reporting it),
the practices of systematic torture, endem! ic disappearances and the
privatisation of warfare (thousands of paramilitary contractors who are as
much "non-legal combatants" as the inmates of Guantanamo), and you get the
picture: all this has destroyed the international legal framework of
warfare. It is proving disastrous for the people of Iraq. It is proving
disastrous for the American troops. It will prove disastrous for many wars
to come. But something might change...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15887&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15887

British soldiers planting bombs
Baghdad Dweller
...Monday’s clashes stemmed from the arrest by Iraqi police on Sunday of
two British soldiers, whom Iraqi police accused of planting bombs. Iraqi
officials described the two as undercover soldiers dressed in civilian
clothes and said a shooting incident broke out when police stopped their
civilian vehicle...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15922&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15922

Zarqawi, oil pipeline and the $1bn
Baghdad Dweller
After listening to Zarqawi message, I was surer that this man doesn’t
exist, He was made and manufactured in Hollywood. He speak very good Iraqi
accent, there is no Jordanian, Bedwin dialect in his Arabic, mostly
Jordanians can not get rid off this light Bedwin dialect in their Arabic,
Egyptians have the same too. If I want to take an example from the west I
will say imagine a German speaks English, doesn’t matter how perfect his
English will be, you can always h! ear this light German tune in the
background of his voice...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15921&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15921

IRAQ: The Nemesis of Imperialism
Frederic F. Clairmont, C I T I Z E N S I N T E R N A T I O N A L
... The smell of death pervades Baghdad. Winning “the hearts and minds” of
the victims of colonial repression was once upon a time the invaders’
expressed goal. In the aftermath of Bush’s declaration of victory more than
two years ago, the colonial occupiers have killed and wounded more than
165,000, and to that number must be superimposed the widespread hunger,
malnutrition and such pandemics as tuberculosis and ma! laria. The days of
sickly moralizing are over. The occupiers and the common soldiery, caught
in the grip of irreversible demoralization and drug addiction, are aware
that the endgame is fast approaching....

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15920&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15920

British Soldiers Free Two From Basra Jail
ABBAS FAYADH, Associated Press Writer
In a dramatic show of force, British soldiers used tanks to break down the
walls of the central jail in this southern city Monday and freed two
Britons, allegedly undercover commandos arrested on charges of shooting two
Iraqi policemen, witnesses said. The Basra governor called the rescue a
"barbaric" act of aggression. But in London, the Ministry of Defense said
in a statement that two British troops held by Iraqi authorities in Basr! a
were released as a result of negotiations. It said the two service
personnel were with British forces...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15914&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15914

Military Recruiters Are Professional Liars
Fred Reed
A friend recently asked me what I would tell a young man thinking about
enlisting in the military. (He had in mind his son.) I would tell him this,
which I wish someone had told me: Kid, you are being suckered. You are
being used. You need to think carefully before signing that enlistment
contract. First, notice that the men who want to send you to die were
draft-dodgers. President Bush was of military age during Vietnam, but he
sat out the war in the Air Natio! nal Guard. The Guard was then a common
way of avoiding combat. Bush could do it because he was a rich kid who went
to Yale, and his family had connections...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15913&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15913

911 Lies Under Fire - Truth Finally Emerging
Greg Szymanski, www.rense.com
Former 9-11 commissioner Timothy Roemer avoided answering questions,
running like a scared rabbit when confronted by William Rodriguez, the WTC
custodian who wanted to know why his dissenting testimony was omitted in
the final report, during a rally marking the fourth anniversary of the
terrorist attacks. "The 9-11 truth will be told. Bush and Cheney will be
indicted for treason and murder. And immediately . . .the killing and
illegal war ! in Iraq [will be stopped]"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15912&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15912

Wake Up
Cindy Sheehan, t r u t h o u t
What Bush's Katrina shows once again is that my son died for nothing. If
you listen to Bush - and fewer and fewer are, thank goodness - we are in
Iraq in part due to 9/11. All our president has been talking about has been
protecting this country since 9/11. That's why people voted for him in the
last election. Katrina shows it's all as sham, a fraud, a disaster as large
as Katrina itself. Hundreds of billions and tens of thousands of innocent
lives wasted later, what have we! achieved? Nothing. Casey died for nothing
and Bush says others have to die for those that have died already. Enough,
George! What is disgusting is not, as the first lady says, criticism of
you, but rather the crimes you've committed against this country and our
sons and daughters. Stop hiding behind your twisted idea of God and stop
destroying this country...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15911&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15911

Their Patience and Ours
Khalilzad Threatens Syria
GARY LEUPP, CounterPunch
The U.S. ambassador to Iraq Zalmay Khalilzad says that the U.S. is "running
out of patience" with Syria. That's nothing new; U.S. officials have been
saying that for several years now. After President Bush's January 2002
speech joining together Iraq, Iran and North Korea as an "axis of evil,"
evil Undersecretary of State John Bolton huffed and puffed about a second
tier of evildoing nations: Syria, Libya and Cuba. The neocon pro! gram is
obviously to create a string of client-states in what it calls the "Greater
Middle East"---an empire dripping with oil, bedecked with U.S. military
bases, spread-eagled for U.S. corporate investment, warmly receptive to
Israeli advances. The great prize of Iran, wedged between "liberated"
Afghanistan and Iraq, excites particular passion in the neocon breast. Its
rape, scheduled for the summer, has been postponed for several reasons,
principally the resistance of the liberated Iraqis and the swelling U.S.
death toll...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15909&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15909

Humanitarian group asks for urgent relief for Tal Affar refugees
Azzaman
Iraqi Red Crescent Organization has asked relief groups to extend a helping
hand to tens of thousands of refugees who have escaped fighting in Tal
Affar. “We are in need of urgent relief to offer assistance to nearly 5,000
families who have fled the city and sought asylum in nearby villages,” the
group said in a statement. It said the families have fled “because of
violence and military operations by U.S. and Iraqi troops inside the
city”...!

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15918&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15918

Why Is George W. Bush Above the Law?
TvNewsLIES.org
Once again, a massive failure of leaderships has been displayed in
Washington. And, once again, George Bush has escaped an independent inquiry
into his in irresponsible actions. For the fourth time in less than five
years, the President of the United States and his cohorts been placed above
the law. That, in itself, is a major American disaster. When, if ever,
could this have happened before? When else could one administration have
pulled off four major scandal! s; four devastating, potentially impeachable
screw-ups, and never have to answer for them? When else, in the United
States of America, could so many crimes of an elected president and his
cadre remain unexplained, unchallenged, and unpunished? When? Probably
never. When in history have the media sat silent through criminal scandal
at highest levels of government?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15907&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15907

R.I.P. Posse Comitatus
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
It was Representative Ron Paul of Texas who read into the Congressional
Record on June 25, 1997—well before the malfeasance of George Bush, the
Constitution-bashing Patriot Act, and the reckless so-called war on
terror—the following: “In a police state the police are national, powerful,
authoritarian. Inevitably, national governments yield to the temptation to
use the military to do the heavy lifting…. [O]nce the military is used,
however minor initiall! y, the march toward martial law … becomes
irresistible.” Fast-forward to the present. In the wake of Hurricane
Katrina, General Peter Grace, soon to become Vice Chairman of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff, has called “for Posse Comitatus to be reconsidered in
response to suggestions that it slowed down deployment of troops,”
according to Jurist, a legal research website...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15906&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15906

New Oraq and the corrupt class warriors
Xymphora
...Bush saw a probable disaster coming, let it happen, delayed any response
until the city was uninhabitable, sent FEMA in to make it worse, forcibly
removed the population, sent the army in to keep them out (and protect
private property, and possibly knock down a few levees to clean out
selected areas of town), when things were at their worst tried to blackmail
Governor Blanco into turning the city over to him and his martial law, and
then starts a neo-con ideolog! ical reconstruction project involving the
corrupt (Karl Rove!) transfer of hundreds of billions of dollars of money
to his rich friends. It is very much like the Iraq project, which was
started of course by allowing the attack on September 11 to take place...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15902&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15902

Tony and George: Authoritarian Characters
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
If we are to believe Lance Price, the former deputy head of Downing Street
communications and BBC journalist, Tony Blair got off on “his first
blooding as PM,” that is to say he liked the idea of sending British
soldiers to die horrible deaths in the nightmarish cauldron of Iraq. “I
couldn’t help feeling TB was relishing his first blooding as PM, sending
the boys into action. Despite all the necessary stuff about taking action
‘with a! heavy heart’, I think he feels it is part of his coming of age as
a leader,” writes Price in The Spin Doctor’s Diary, a book subsequently
censored by the British government, although uncensored excerpts appeared
in the Mail on Sunday, according to the UK Telegraph...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15899&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15899

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Sunday, 18 September 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice.
...Shi‘i religious leader Fadil al-Asadi of the Muqtada as-Sadr office told
the Mafkarat al-Islam correspondent that the religious ruling (fatwa)
issued by Shi‘i religious authority ‘Ali as-Sistani last Wednesday in which
he called for a boycott of surrounding Arab states, only served to widen
the gap between Iraqi Shi‘ah and the Arab peoples, most of whom ! are
Sunni. Fadil al-Asadi told Mafkarat al-Islam that the ruling by as-Sistani,
in which the pro-American Shi‘i cleric called for a political and economic
embargo on neighboring Arab states on the pretext that they are “exporting
terror and terrorists” to Iraq, “was not in fact a religious ruling or a
ruling on Islamic law, but rather only pre-planned political ruling”...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15898&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15898

GI Special 3C57: "Honorable Soldiers In A Dishonest War" - September 18, 2005
www.militaryproject.org
...There seems to me that some time in our nation's history, there was some
noble attractiveness to the armed forces. However, this current political
machine has stolen that honor by exploiting the military in unjust wars
with only individual economic gain as the outcome; an economic gain at the
expense of hundreds of thousands of lives, the world population's respect,
the integrity of the country, and the welf! are of our children. I wish
that the reasons to deploy our military in Iraq were as the government
explained. But, that is not the case. At one time I begged heaven that the
lies of our nation's leaders were true. I prayed that the lives of my
brothers and sisters fighting along side me were lost for the most sensible
causes. But at the end of the day we are all just manipulated victims...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=15900&s2=20>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=15900

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.