[uruknet] - NL 1 July - Part One

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë“Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Mesopotamia - Now an Endangered Species - Official.
Felicity Arbuthnot, GlobalResearch.ca
...The World Monument Fund has, for the first time, named an entire country
-Iraq - on its list of endangered sites. The Fund, which publishes every
two years, an inventory of the world's most endangered historical and
archeological sites and monuments, lists the 'cradle of civilisation' as,
effectively, in danger of extinction. The illegal invasion, built on
monumental lies, from Whitehall to Washington, has not alone 'dest! royed
the village in order to save it', it has destroyed the country, the land of
the biblical Tigris and Euphrates - described by Gertude Bell, writer,
colonialist - never the less captivated by this 'land between two rivers' -
in the 1920's -'... great twin rivers gloriously named, The huge Babylonian
plains, now desert, Which were once the garden of the world...'

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13271&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13271

U.S. changed Iraq policy to begin airstrikes months before war
John Byrne, Raw Story
The U.S. quietly shifted policy towards Iraq to allow for surgical,
pre-emptive airstrikes months before any attempt to seek UN or
Congressional approval for the use of force, RAW STORY can reveal. The
discovery, made by investigative blogger Ron Brynaert, raises questions of
whether Britain and the United States violated a UN resolution to provide
for the security of Iraqi citizenry in the wake of the 1991 Gulf War...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13276&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13276

Tigris dam damns Assur
The Iraqi government is building a dam which will obliterate the capital of
the ancient Assyrian empire
Martin Bailey , The Art Newspaper
The Iraqi government is building a dam which will destroy the ancient city
of Assur, the former capital which gave its name to Assyria. Although it
has received no publicity outside Iraq, the dam across the Tigris is likely
to result in one of the greatest archaeological losses of modern times.
John Curtis, the British Museum’s keeper o! f Ancient Near East, returned
from a visit to Baghdad last month, and he told The Art Newspaper that the
project “will destroy most of the remains of Assur”. He points out that the
city, occupied by the Assyrians for some 2,000 years, is “arguably the most
important archaeological site in the Near East.” Dr Curtis warns that the
archaeological losses are likely to be even greater than those caused by
the Aswan High Dam in 1970, when temples along the Nile were flooded...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13277&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13277

52 House members file FOIA request seeking documents related to Downing
Street minutes
RAW STORY
...Representative John Conyers, Jr., (D-MI) House Judiciary Committee
Ranking Member, along with 51 other Members today submitted a broad and
comprehensive FOIA request to the White House, the Department of Defense,
and the Department of State seeking any and all documents and materials
concerning the Downing Street Minutes and the lead up to the Iraq war, RAW
STORY has learned. In addition, the Members also formally ! requested that
the House Committees on Judiciary, Armed Services, International Relations,
and the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence commence hearings on the
Downing Street Minutes...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13274&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13274

Nearly 9,000 U.S. troops dead? A NATIONWIDE CALL FOR INFO FROM SURVIVORS
Peaceseeker - Indymedia
...If you know (or know of) service members who've died in Bush's wars,
look for their names on the full, alphabetized "official" Pentagon death
list, at
<http://www.tbrnews.org/Archives/list.htm. >www.tbrnews.org/Archives/list.htm.
IF THEIR NAMES ARE NOT INCLUDED, PLEASE SEND A REPORT TO: tbrnews (at)
hotmail.com. You're also encouraged to notify your Congress members, your
local newspaper! , and other interested parties. ( Note that the
alphabetized list is updated regularly at tbrnews.org. It currently
includes deaths reported up through early June. )...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13285&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13285

Nearly 9,000 U.S. troops dead?
The Harring Report, TBRnews
...The DoD lists currently being very quietly circulated indicate almost
9,000 dead, over 16,000 seriously wounded* (See note below. This figure is
now over 24,000 Ed) and a large number of suicides, forced hospitalization
for ongoing drug usage and sales, murder of Iraqi civilians and fellow
soldiers , rapes, courts martial and so on – I have a copy of the official
DoD casualty list. I am alphabetizing it with the reported date of death
following. TBR wi! ll post this list in sections and when this is
circulated widely by veteran groups and other concerned sites, if people
who do not see their loved one’s names, are requested to inform their
Congressman, their local paper, us and other concerned people as soon as
possible. The government gets away with these huge lies because they claim,
falsely, that only soldiers actually killed on the ground in Iraq are
reported. The dying and critically wounded are listed as en route to
military hospitals outside of the country and not reported on the daily
postings...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13283&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13283

No Iraq Plan? Please, Think Again
Judith Moriarty, www.rense.com
Per chance, you thought there wasn't some method in the madness going on in
Iraq, think again. What has never been discussed in the "news" are long
range plans made for the region before the threat of weapons of mass
destruction, then it was instilling democracy, and now its morphed into us
coming against the nest of insurgent and terrorists before they arrive here
in hordes from this desert land and kill us! Stratfor is one of the most
respected ge! opolitical intelligence services in the world. Statfor's
high-level sources (2002) tell them that one of the leading long-term
strategies being considered by U.S. war planner is one that will divide
Iraq into three separate regions. Under this plan Iraq would cease to
exist...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13280&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13280

The march/swarm of the madder'n hells, part II
Mark Drolette, SmirkingChimp.com
...My most recent article, "The march of the madder'n hells," calling for
one million of us to march to both the White House and Capitol to demand,
respectively, responses to and hearings on, the Downing Street Memos (DSM),
has touched a bit of a nerve. Yep, it's true, all right: People are ticked
and want their country back. Go figure. As promised, this subsequent column
is designed to rally more support and pass on as much informati! on as I
have right now. More columns will follow...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13282&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13282

US Forces Attack Iraqi Hospitals
Prensa Latina
An urgent humanitarian crisis is unfolding in occupied west Iraq, where
doctors and other Iraqi organizations are slamming US military for causing
death and destruction. Hospitals have also been under heavy attack during
US military operations in cities across western Iraq between May and June,
causing great damage to the medical facilities, the organization Doctors
for Iraqi Society have denounced...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13281&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13281

Pace of troop deaths up in Iraq
Rick Jervis, USA TODAY
U.S. military deaths in Iraq increased by about one-third in the past year,
even as Iraq established its own government and assumed more responsibility
for battling the insurgency. At least 882 U.S. troops died in the 12 months
through Thursday, up from 657 in the preceding year, according to a USA
TODAY analysis of Defense Department numbers. Iraqis assumed sovereignty a
year ago this week, part of a U.S. strategy to lessen the visibility of
U.S. troops and ! shift more responsibility for security to Iraq forces...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13273&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13273

Pentagon doles out up to $300 million for 'psyops'
THE WASHINGTON POST
The Pentagon awarded three contracts last week, potentially worth up to
$300 million over five years, to companies it hopes will inject more
creativity into its psychological operations efforts to improve foreign
public opinion about the United States, particularly the military. "We
would like to be able to use cutting-edge types of media," said Col. James
Treadwell, director of the Joint Psychological Operations Support Element,
a part of Tam! pa-based U.S. Special Operations Command. "If you want to
influence someone, you have to touch their emotions"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13272&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13272

A Summer Surprise
Wrong About June
GARY LEUPP, CounterPunch
I thought for sure it would happen this month. The attack on Iran, I mean,
or the one on Syria. The Israelis had said that by June Iran would pass
"the point of no return" in acquiring the ability to enrich uranium, had
declared they could not accept that possibility, and had purchased
bunker-busting bombs from the U.S. Seymour Hersh had reported in January
that the U.S. was conducting secret reconnaissance missions in Iran
preparatory for prec! ision strikes and commando raids. Scott Ritter had
stated in February that President Bush had "signed off" on an Iran attack
in June...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13270&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13270

Respectable Murder and Pure Wind
Mykeru.com
...I myself am depressed and obsessed. I'm depressed at how all this has
unfolded and I'm obsessed with even the smallest detail of daily life in
Iraq and the horrors therein. I study news photos and I visit terrible
bloody sites to see all the ways living people can be turned into torn and
burnt inanimate flesh. I read articles about the booming business of
prostitution using underage Iraqi girls who have to sell themselves to feed
their families. Hell, why not? Take t! heir country, takes their oil, take
their pride, what have they got left? Daughters? OK, that can be their
export...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13269&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13269

Respectable Murder and Pure Wind
Mykeru.com
...I myself am depressed and obsessed. I'm depressed at how all this has
unfolded and I'm obsessed with even the smallest detail of daily life in
Iraq and the horrors therein. I study news photos and I visit terrible
bloody sites to see all the ways living people can be turned into torn and
burnt inanimate flesh. I read articles about the booming business of
prostitution using underage Iraqi girls who have to sell themselves to feed
their families. Hell, why not? Take t! heir country, takes their oil, take
their pride, what have they got left? Daughters? OK, that can be their
export...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13269&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13269

The theft of Iraqi oil revenue
Imad Khadduri , Free Iraq
..."Iraq would need investment of $25 billion over the next five or six
years to renovate its oil and gas infrastructure, former Oil Minister
Thamer al-Ghadban told an Istanbul conference. The lion’s share of $20
billion would be for the oil sector, mainly upstream, with the rest going
to the gas industry. The investment “can only be made with the help of
foreign investors,” (added emphasis) added al- Ghadban". One might surely
expect that the now in! viting ex-minister would have an idea of where the
Iraqi oil money has been pouring, under his watch, during the past two
years, no?...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13268&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13268

Deja Vu in Iraq
Derrick Z. Jackson, Boston Globe
At Fort Bragg, in front of soldiers and their generals, the president of
the United States said, ''Terrorists can strike and can kill without
warning before the forces of order can throw them back. And now he has
struck again. At this very hour, a second wave of terrorists is striking
the cities. Our forces are ready. I know they will acquit themselves, as
they always have, however tough the battle becomes. There has never been a
finer fighting force wearing the Am! erican uniform than you." (...) This
was not this week. This was not President Bush at Fort Bragg. It was 37
years ago. This was President Johnson...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13278&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13278

Baghdad's Mayor Threatens to Resign
Associated Press
Baghdad's mayor decried the capital's crumbling infrastructure and its
inability to supply enough clean water to residents, threatening today to
resign if the government won't provide more money. The statement from Mayor
Alaa Mahmoud al-Timimi was an indication of the daily misery that Baghdad's
6.45 million people still endure more than two years after the U.S.-led
invasion...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13279&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13279

Fool Me Once: Saddam Recycled as Nine Eleven Perp
Kurt Nimmo, Another Day in the Empire
Indeed, our Congress critters take us for morons. Obviously, we will
believe anything these people tell us, as is evident by the fact most
Americans bought the ludicrous Iraq invasion pretext hook, line, and
sinker, hardly any questions asked. Now, in the wake of Bush’s speech, once
again linking Iraq to the “war on terrorism” fantasy story, we are told by
people supposedly in the know that Saddam was behind nine eleven, even !
though this has been repeatedly debunked as neocon nonsense. “Saddam
Hussein and people like him were very much involved in 9/11,” Republican
Robin Hayes tells CNN. “Told no investigation had ever found evidence to
link Saddam and 9/11, Hayes responded, ‘I’m sorry, but you must have looked
in the wrong places’...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13266&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13266

Unbelievable...
Riverbend, Baghdad Burning
“Not only can they not find WMD in Iraq,” I commented to E. as we listened
to the Bush speech, “But they have disappeared from his speeches too!” I
was listening to the voiceover on Arabiya, translating his speech to
Arabic. He was recycling bits and pieces of various speeches he used over
two years (...) Do the Americans continue to believe such speeches? I
couldn’t help but wonder. “They’ll believe anything.” E. sighed. “No matter
what sort of absurdity they are fed, t! hey’ll believe it. Think up the
most outrageous lie… They have people who’ll believe it.” The cousin sat up
at this, his interest piqued. “The most outrageous lie? How about that Iraq
was amassing aliens from Mareekh [Mars] and training them in the battle art
of kung-fu to attack America in 2010!” “They’d believe it.” E. nodded in
the affirmative...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13265&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13265

Journalist killed after investigating US-backed death squads in Iraq
James Cogan, WSWS
On June 24, Yasser Salihee, an Iraqi special correspondent for the news
agency Knight Ridder, was killed by a single bullet to the head as he
approached a checkpoint that had been thrown up near his home in western
Baghdad by US and Iraqi troops. It is believed that the shot was fired by
an American sniper. According to eyewitnesses, no warning shots were fired
(...) Over the past month, Salihee had been gathering evidence that!
US-backed Iraqi forces have been carrying out extra-judicial killings of
alleged members and supporters of the anti-occupation resistance...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13263&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13263

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Thursday, 30 June 2005
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board,
the Free Arab Voice. ( http://www.freearabvoice.org )
US occupation forces arrested the General Director of Hit General Hospital
in western Iraq on Wednesday, Quds Press reported in a dispatch posted at
8:46 GMT Thursday. A source in the hospital told Quds Press that US forces
raided the city hospital on Wednesday and arrested Dr. Nizar al-Kubaysi,
the General Director of Hit Ge! neral Hospital on charges that he treated
wounded and injured Iraqi Resistance fighters in his facility. The source
explained that the American troops raided the hospital and searched through
the wards and hospital rooms looking for what they called “insurgents”
receiving treatment...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=13262&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=13262

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.