[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 13Mar 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë"Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Peace groups continue to miss the real issue
Day of demonstrations guaranteed to accomplish absolutely nothing
John Kaminski
I received an e-mail notice the other day informing me of a worldwide day
of protests March 19 to focus public attention on America's neverending
massacre of innocent Iraqi civilians and the continuing lies that attempt
to justify this needless and shameful carnage. The e-mail focused on the
agenda of the local social event in Sarasota, Florida, and listed speakers,
sponsors, ac! tivities, locations, and times. Conspicuously absent from
this list were reasons. Nevertheless, I replied to the notice by inquiring
if organizers had been adequately briefed on the latest revelations about
9/11, and if they hadn't, I offered to happily volunteer my services. After
all, it doesn't take a genius to realize that if 9/11 hadn't happened, the
bogus Iraq invasion wouldn't have happened. And therefore understanding
what really happened on 9/11 would significantly improve anyone's
perception of the colossal crimes the United States is committing in Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10357&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10357

Racial Holy Wars, Real and Phantom
Robert Lindsay , Iraqwar.ru
...Some idiot spray-paints a US synagogue with nasty words, evil little
symbols or malevelant sentences and the US media pants hyperactively for
weeks about some "anti-Semitism wave sweeping the globe". While at the same
time, the US military wages a blatantly racist war against the "inferior"
Iraqi people to either media silence or outright cheerleading. This is a
racist war that has already killed 100,000 Arab "untermenschen" at the
altar American S! upremacy, and we are just getting started...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10346&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10346

Israel's Broken Record: Attack Iran
Kurt Nimmo
It's like a broken record: Israel will attack Iran, Israel will attack
Iran. Iran is working on nukes, Iran is working on nukes, even though the
International Atomic Energy Agency says Iran is not working on nukes. Now
we are told the Israelis have created a mock version of Iran's Natanz
uranium enrichment plant in order to practice assaults on the facility.
Ha'aretz reports "Israel would use F-15 fighter planes and its air force's
elite Shaldag [Kingfisher] unit in ! the attack." For months now, Israel
has sent the same message over and over: Iran is close to finishing
construction on a nuke...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10351&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10351

Passive Genocide In Iraq
Gideon Polya, Countercurrents.org
A fundamental obligation of an Occupier country is to provide resources
necessary for the basic physical survival of the citizens of the invaded
and Occupied country. Mass mortality in an Occupied country in the absence
of provision of requisite medical services by the Occupiers is a war crime
that can be categorized as "passive genocide". What is the Occupier medical
expenditure versus the avoidable death situation for the subject people of
Occupied Ira! q? In short, the 2004 per capita medical expenditure in
Occupied Iraq has been about 100 times LESS than that in the Occupier
country Australia and this is reflected in an avoidable under-5 infant
mortality that is about 100 times GREATER in Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10359&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10359

In the Eye of the Soldier
Armed with digital cameras, GIs in Iraq shoot battle footage and edit it
into music videos packed with death and destruction.
Louise Roug, Los Angeles Times
...Troops often carry personal cameras and video equipment in battle. On
occasion, official military camera crews, known as "Combat Camera" units,
follow the troops on raids and patrol. Although the military uses that
footage for training and public affairs, among other things, it also finds
its way to personal co! mputers and commercial websites. The result: an
abundance of photographs and video footage depicting mutilation, death and
destruction that soldiers collect and trade like baseball cards. "I have a
lot of pictures of dead Iraqis — everybody does," said Spc. Jack Benson,
22, also stationed near Baqubah...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10366&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10366

IRAQ: US used chemical weapons in Fallujah assault
Doug Lorimer, Green Left Weekly
...However, the only US news outlet to carry even a mention of the press
conference was the Christian Science Monitor's website. In an March 7
article on the US State Department's annual report on other countries'
human rights record, the Boston-based daily reported that "Aljazeera also
reported that Dr Khalid ash-Shaykhli, an official at Iraq's health
ministry, told a press conference in Baghdad that his department's
investigation! in the conflict in Fallujah show that US forces used
'internationally banned weapons' during its offensive last November,
including napalm and jet fuel. The United States has never signed the
treaty that banned the use of napalm against civilians"...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10367&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10367

Torture from the top
Khaled Dawoud, Al-Ahram Weekly
As reports on horrific incidents of torture and abuse of detainees held in
US military custody in Iraq, Afghanistan, Guantanamo and several other
secret locations worldwide became a nearly daily occurrence, two leading US
human rights groups announced last week they were filing federal lawsuits
against US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and three senior military
officials, holding them "directly responsible" for the spread of the
illegal practices...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10363&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10363

Resistance Attacks Kill10 Iraqi Soldiers, 6 Iraqi Civilians, 3 US Soldiers,
3 US Contractors, a Turkish Driver, Scores of Iraqis Arrested
Al-Jazeerah
The Saudi newspaper Aljazirah reported on Sunday 13, 2005 that three people
were killed during resistance attacks on Friday-Saturday. A corpse of an
Iraqi soldier was found north of Baghdad. Four Iraqi soldiers were injured.
An oil pipeline between Baiji and Dora was set on fire. Heavy smoke could
be seen in Al-Tharthar, near Samarra...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10352&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10352

Civilians hit by US fire
news.com.au
CHILDREN died when a US military helicopter opened fire on insurgents in
Iraq's northern city of Mosul, witnesses said today. "The helicopter was
... engaged by small arms fire from a nearby building," the US military
said. "The helicopter returned fire. "At least five Iraqi citizens were
injured in the crossfire. The civilians were transported to a local
hospital for treatment. An investigation of the incident is under way."
According to witnesses and hospital sources, three ! people were killed, a
woman and two children...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10353&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10353

The Gorilla in the Room
Xymphora
There is a brand-new blog called The Gorilla in the Room on the influence
of radical right-wing Israelis on current American politics, and it looks
like it is going to be very good. Check out the posting on the composition
of the infamous Office of Special Plans, the group tasked by the neocons to
go around traditional American intelligence to produce the basis - now
proven to be entirely lies - to justify the attack on Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10358&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10358

Iraqi confessor was 'tortured to death'
Catherine Philp
THE body of an Iraqi man, who this week confessed on television to staging
insurgent attacks, was returned to his family yesterday after he was
tortured to death in custody, his father claimed. Khalid Jouli said that
the body of his son, Qahtan, was delivered to the family home in the Sunni
town of Samarra by commando units from the Interior Ministry...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10349&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10349

Who is behind Jihad Unspun?
Imad Khadduri
You may have seen this web site:
<http://www.jihadunspun.com>http://www.jihadunspun.com
Lest I seem to be over zealous in pointing the below items, I humbly ask
indulgence from those who already know this information (...) When the site
first came up, more than two years ago, I was immediately skeptical of its
'originators' as it was truly a highly sophisticated and well designed web
site worthy of an "Intelligence Agency's" effort (as I did inform my
friends at the time after verifying for myself that it is hosted in
Vancouver, Canada), and that it is not the kind of work of 'free-lance'
Jihadists. It now seems (maybe very belatedly) that my first impression was
mistaken...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10365&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10365

Plus Ça Change . . . A Template for the U.S. War in Iraq
Robert Higgs
The composition of a coherent historical narrative is no easy task.
Fortunately, the aspiring historian of the current U.S. war in Iraq can
draw upon earlier narratives to ease the burden, merely substituting a word
here and there in order to make the text accord with the specific names and
places that are now pertinent. As the following illustrative statements
show, however, basic patterns tend to persist, so one need not suffer
through a prot! racted new search for how a particular war has come to be
fought. My textual changes to apply the model to the present war appear in
brackets...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10347&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10347

This war walks among us
NORMAN SOLOMON
...But the wounded do not disappear. They can speak for themselves. And
many more will be seen and heard in this decade. Thanks to improvements in
protective gear and swift medical treatment, more of America's wounded are
surviving - and returning home with serious permanent injuries. During the
Vietnam War and the Persian Gulf War, 76 percent of American troops
survived combat wounds. But in this century, the U.S. military's surgical
teams "have saved the lives of an unprec! edented 90 percent of the
soldiers wounded in battle," the New England Journal of Medicine reported
in December...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10354&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10354

Fallujah, Tent City, Awaits Compensation
Juan Cole
...Readers often write in for an update on Fallujah. I am sorry to say that
there is no Fallujah to update. The city appears to be in ruins and perhaps
uninhabitable in the near future. Of 300,000 residents, only about 9,000
seem to have returned, and apparently some of those are living in tents
above the ruins of their homes. The rest of the Fallujans are scattered in
refugee camps of hastily erected tents at several sites, including one near
Habbaniyyah, or are! staying with relatives in other cities, including
Baghdad. The scale of this human tragedy-- the dispossession and
displacement of 300,000 persons-- is hard to imagine...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10355&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10355

Tomgram: Greenberg on the Legal War on Terror at Home
Tom Engelhardt & Karen J. Greenberg
In the rush of recent news about renditions, extraordinary renditions, the
beating to death and systematic abuse of prisoners in Afghanistan, the
holding of children as young as 11 in Abu Ghraib prison, the desire of
Donald Rumsfeld to transfer large numbers of prisoners in Guantánamo back
to their countries of origin, and other tales of detention mayhem, a piece
tucked away in the crease column, deep inside last Tuesday's N! ew York
Times, was easy enough to overlook.

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10356&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10356

"Falluja was wiped out"
International Action Center
...We have innumerable pictures and also films, on which you can see who
was killed in Falluja. I invite everyone to come into our city and to make
their own picture of the situation. I will bring you together with children
who had to watch their parents being shot by Americans. And I will bring
you together with men who saw how their children and their wives were
killed. There was and there still is resistance in Iraq and also in
Falluja. The resistance against! the occupation is legitimate and
corresponds to international conventions. It is not however by any means
legal to bombard civilians. That is permitted neither to the Americans nor
to opponents of the occupation. Many Iraqis are the opinion that the
attacks on civilians are not the responsibility of the resistance, but that
in the long run the Americans and the secret services of the neighboring
countries are behind them...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10266&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10266

Bionic US troops go back to war
Amputees returning to frontline duty can outrun the rest of the regiment on
their high-tech legs
Sarah Baxter
IN A US military camp on the Kuwaiti border, Captain David Rozelle is
waiting for the order to lead the soldiers under his command into Iraq for
a new tour of duty. A cavalry officer, Rozelle lost his right foot in 2003
in Iraq when a mine planted in a dirt road exploded under his Humvee. After
a gruelling recovery, he is the first amputee to retu! rn to combat duty in
Iraq...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10362&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10362

They shoot reporters, don't they?
Tariq A. Al-Maeena,Al-Jazeerah
The killing of Italian intelligence officer Nicola Calipari by US
occupation forces in Iraq is another twist in the diabolical tactics
employed by members of the occupation forces in manipulating the veracity
of their adventurism in this immoral crusade. In a series of truth twisting
means that began when their Commander in Chief assured the world of the
presence of weapons of mass destruction prior to the invasion of Iraq, to
the calculated shooti! ngs and murder of journalists who contradicted
Pentagon press releases, the charade continues today and is fed daily to
the folks 'back home' that all is well...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10360&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10360

To End the War, Listen to Soldiers' War Stories
Simona Sharoni, CommonDreams.org
As the second anniversary of the war on Iraq approaches and the death toll
of U.S troops tops 1500, many soldiers return to our communities. To end
the war, we must listen to their war stories rather then rely solely on
peace marches. This challenge requires that we step outside of our comfort
zone and talk to people whose political views may differ from ours. We
ought to expose ourselves to the reality of war as experienced by our f!
riends, neighbors and coworkers...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10364&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10364

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Friday, 11 March 2005 and Saturday,
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member editorial board The
Free Arab Voice.
In a dispatch posted at 11:15am Mecca time Friday morning, Mafkarat
al-Islam reported that fierce fighting had broken out between the
Resistance and US occupation troops in central ar-Ramadi at about 10:30am
Friday morning local time and was still going on. The Resistance fighters
were equipped with light arms RPG7 rocket launchers and! medium-weight
(62mm) mortars...

<http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=10348&s2=14>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=10348

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.