[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 01 Feb 2005 - Part III]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë"Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

An Open Letter to Our Leaders From a Concerned Iraq War Soldier
Monica Benderman, www.dissidentvoice.org
...Until America leaves Iraq to the Iraqis, and brings its soldiers home,
freedom cannot begin to materialize for the Iraqi people. Soldiers are
dying, civilians are dying, and America is the perpetrator. The only
support that we should be giving our soldiers now, is in bringing them all
home, where they can defend what is their duty to defend... their families,
their country, and their honor. Someone has to be strong enough to stand
against the illusion and tell the truth. And Americans have to be strong
enough to bear witness to what they are told...

<http://uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=8355&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=8355

America: the new heart of darkness
Our creature comforts have made silent cowards of us all
John Kaminski
...We see from American behavior in Iraq — the endless and deliberate
killings of innocent bystanders, the indiscriminate bombing of a population
we insist we are rescuing, and the corrupt prevention of independent
reporting on the terrible crimes we are committing — that the United States
is a nation of conscienceless killers, who have absolutely no regard for
the welfare and safety of wholly innocent pe ople who happen to reside
outside their borders. Americans hide their atrocious deeds in self-serving
rationalizations that nobody really believes, not even, I suspect, the
people who are uttering them...

<http://uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=9380&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=9380

Iraqi Vote Contradictions
Michael Gaddy
...With the closing of the polls in Iraq, a source in northern Iraqi
indicated the turnout in the town in which he is situated to be less than
10%. Another military source told me he saw only one Iraqi vote at one of
the polling places in Fallujah the entire day and that he had heard similar
stories from friends in Samarra. My source in a northern Iraqi town,
population 250,000, said he believed there to be 13,000 to 14,000 votes
cast there. He did, however, relate that U. S . military authorities in the
area had provided a Sheikh who has been totally supportive of the U.S.
occupation, 70,000 blank ballots...

<http://uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=9384&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=9384

The ugliest, most unpopular, least recognized truth ever told
Agent Orange, Unknown News
The Iraqi Resistance movement has quite possibly saved the world from
WWIII, though the end of the story has not yet been written. Had the Iraqis
folded after March 2003 and not fought back against the US occupation,
George Bush might have taken his forces into Iran and even Syria. The
fallout from such a blatantly illegal action would -- still could -- lead
directly to world war, given the strategic importance of the Middle E ast's
oil and gas resources...

<http://uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=9377&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=9377

"The Only Decent Food We Get is at Funerals"
"Free" Iraqis Still Waiting for the Wind of Change
ROBERT FISK, The Independent
...More and more, we feel this vast, cosmic distance between real Iraq and
the fantasy Iraq of Washington and London. I watch Blair talking nervously,
his body language defensive, his eyes spiritual, telling us what a
stupendous success the election has been. But he chose to keep the extent
of the extent of the RAF Hercules tragedy secret from his people when he
spoke on Sunday n ight. So why the surprise when the Americans and British
still keep secret the number of Iraqis who are killed here every day?...

<http://uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=9383&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=9383

The Road to Abu Ghraib: The Legal Narrative
Joshua L. Dratel
While the proverbial road to hell is paved with good intentions, the
internal government memos collected in this publication demonstrate that
the path to the purgatory that is Guantanamo Bay, or Abu Ghraib, has been
paved with decidedly bad intentions. The policies that resulted in rampant
abuse of detainees first in Afghanistan, then at Guantanamo Bay, and later
in Iraq, were product of three pernicious purposes designed to facilitate
the unilateral and unfettered detention, interrogation, abuse, judgment,
and punishment of prisoners...

<http://uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=9382&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=9382

As Presently Waged, Bush's Occupation is Doomed
Kurt Nimmo
Can it get much worse? First, the U.S. and the Brit supply convoys were
attacked on Iraq's roadways, a situation so perilous it forced them to
transport men and materiel around the country by aircraft. Now the Iraqi
resistance is knocking aircraft out of the sky with missiles, apparently
with impunity, as a video aired by al-Jazeera allegedly demonstrates.
Indeed, if this is the case, Bush's effort to remain in Iraq is doomed...

<http://uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=9378&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=9378

MOSSAD SPILLS THE BEANS: IRAQ ''ELECTION'' TURNOUT WAS AT MOST 40-45% !
Indymedia - DEBKAfile
While most of the Mossad's analysis (below) on the public debka website
enthuses about the "Iraq Election", it also contains the following very
revealing admissions: "DEBKAfile's Iraq experts reveal that, while the
turnout is officially estimated at 60%, the real figure will probably turn
out to be quite a bit lower, no more than 40-45% ... In Basra, Iraq's
second largest town, the turnout was 32-35%, although Iraqi el ection
officials claimed 90%"...

<http://uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=9379&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=9379

U.S. human rights lawyers ask German court to expand war crimes probe of
U.S. officials
MELISSA EDDY | Associated Press
A group of American human rights lawyers asked German prosecutors Monday to
investigate U.S. Attorney General nominee Alberto Gonzales on allegations
of war crimes as part of a requested probe of U.S. officials' actions in
Iraq, the group said. Attorneys from the New York-based Center for
Constitutional Rights filed a suit with German federal prosecutors last
November charging that U.S. officials , including Defense Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld and former CIA director George Tenet, are responsible for acts of
torture committed at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq...

<http://uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=9376&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=9376

US Military facing budget gap with Halliburton: report
Reuters
The top US commander in Baghdad is facing a budget gap of at least $4
billion between what Halliburton Co. HAL.N says it will cost to provide
services for US troops for a year and what the government has budgeted, the
Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday. According to the article, in
December Halliburton's Kellogg Brown & Root unit, which provides food,
mail, telephones and other basic services to US troops in Iraq, submitted
an estimate to the Pen tagon for expected spending in the year starting May
1, based on a list of Army requirements...

<http://uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=9375&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=9375

What They're Not Telling You About the "Election"
Dahr Jamail's Iraq Dispatches
...What they also didn't tell you was that of those who voted, whether they
be 35% or even 60% of registered voters, were not voting in support of an
ongoing US occupation of their country. In fact, they were voting for
precisely the opposite reason. Every Iraqi I have spoken with who voted
explained that they believe the National Assembly which will be formed soon
will signal an end to the occupation (...) Now the question remains, wh at
happens when the National Assembly is formed and over 100,000 US soldiers
remain on the ground in Iraq with the Bush Administration continuing in its
refusal to provide a timetable for their removal?..

<http://uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=9373&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info/?p=9373

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.