[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 27 Dec 2004]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë"Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Saddam Hussein: "Sono stato torturato dagli USA"
Brunei Press Sdn Bhd.
...l'ex presidente ha affermato che stava pregando, appena prima del
tramonto, in casa di amici, quando i soldati degli Stati Uniti lo hanno
circondato. "Mi sono trovato intorno gli americani, senza alcuna
possibilità di difesa. La mia arma era lontano. Sono stato arrestato e sono
stato torturato in modo spaventoso nei primi due giorni. Se avessi saputo
che gli Americani erano vicino li avrei combattuti sino alla morte", ha
detto Al-Du! leimi citando le parole di Saddam...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8463&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8463

FLASHBACK: What Happened at Halabja?
Jude Wanniski
Yes, David, I know you are ticked at me for saying the article you ran last
month about Saddam Hussein gassing the Kurds at Halabja, back in 1988, was
pure propaganda by your new writer Jeffrey Goldberg. You also seem most
distressed that I said you should have told your readers that Jeffrey has
dual citizenship with Israel and served in the Israeli defence forces a few
years back...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8446&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8446

Lo "scandalo" Oil For Food è una cinica cortina fumogena
Scott Ritter, ZNet
...La palese corruzione del programma Oil For Food era reale, ma non è
scaturita in seno alle Nazioni Unite, come sostengono Norman Coleman ed
altri. Le sue orgini risiedono in una politica moralmente corrotta di
strangolamento dell'economia Irachena, messa in atto dagli Stati Uniti, nel
contesto di una più ampia strategia di cambio di regime...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8460&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8460

IRAQ: Thousands of Fallujah residents return to devastation
Integrated Regional Information Networks
...Since getting the go-ahead from coalition forces on 23 December to
return to the city, nearly 4,000 residents who were displaced by the
fighting have returned to their homes. But these numbers are tiny compared
with the total pre-attack population of almost 300,000, the majority of
whom fled before the fighting began on 8 November. Many other families have
returned to check their houses only to leave again aft! er finding that
they had been destroyed...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8456&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8456

'Staying the Course' Won't Do
Patrick J. Buchanan, AntiWar
...And why should we fight and die for a Shia-dominated Iraq? Before
addressing his countrymen, the president needs to ask and answer for
himself some hard questions. Who told him this would be a "cakewalk"? Who
misled him to believe we would be welcomed as liberators with bouquets of
flowers? Who led him into a situation where his choice appears to be
between a seemingly endless guerrilla war that could destroy his
presidency, and walking away from Iraq! and watching it collapse in mayhem
and the massacre of those who cast their lot with us? Why have these fools
not been fired, like the CIA geniuses who sold JFK on the Bay of Pigs?...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8452&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8452

The American Dream
Sara Solovitch, Exquire
In all of Iraq, Jumana Hanna was the bravest witness to the horror of
Saddam's regime, telling the Americans of torture, rape, and mass murder.
In Washington, Hanna became a potent symbol of Iraqi liberation, and the
Bush administration brought Hanna and her children to the United States for
their protection. Then the author discovered the really horrible truth...
(Photo: An emotional Hanna revisiting the place where she says she was
imprisoned and tortured in Baghdad! . This photograph appeared with the
July 21, 2003, Washington Post story about her, which made her a hero to
the Americans in Iraq.)

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8453&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8453

Trail of torture leads to Washington
The Virginian-Pilot
When a Federal Bureau of Investigations officer says interrogations of
Iraqi prisoners are too rough, that the techniques amount to "torture,"
you'd think somebody would listen. Not in this White House, or at this
Pentagon. Since before the first prisoner was taken in Afghanistan,
administration lawyers have looked for ways to skirt the restrictions on
torture in the Geneva Conventions...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8457&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8457

Bush's New Year Resolution: Bullet-Stopper Conscription
Kurt Nimmo
...In a more balanced and sane world, there would be an "exit strategy" in
Iraq—or the United States would not have invaded in the first place—but in
Bushzarro world, dominated by colluding Strausscons, the "war" must
continue, possibly for generations (as warned), and since the current "Army
of One" is not up to the task of "reshaping" the Middle East,
bullet-stopper conscription is the only logical response. Telling the
American people to "show ! their support not by flying yellow ribbons but
by joining the Army" is not only ludicrous, it will never work. It will be
universally ignored. Conscription, on the other hand, cannot be ignored
without penalty...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8443&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8443

Injured Valley Soldier Critical of War in Iraq
Andrea Conklin
..."I can't sleep. I still got dreams of Iraq." Eric says he believes the
situation overseas is a hopeless one. "I say just put Saddam back in power,
and just leave the whole Iraq, the country, it'd be better off like that."
That despair is a sentiment he tells us many soldiers share. "There's a lot
of people that don't think we should be there ... like my unit," Herrera
says. "We're not doing good out there. We're just soldiers dying left and
right.".! ..

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8448&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8448

Growing Frustration, Pain for U.S. Troops in Iraq
Matt Gnaizda, The Epoch Times
As of Christmas Eve, there have been over 1300 U.S. military casualties in
Iraq- 90% of which have occurred after President Bush declared the war was
over. Sneak attacks and suicide bombers appear to be eating away at
American morale. "Troop frustration is growing," said a four-star general,
speaking on condition of anonymity...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8444&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8444

The emperor's same, old clothes
H.D.S. Greenway
...So saying, he discarded all the royal garments that reminded him of the
usurper, and looked about him for a new firm of royal tailors. He appointed
the firm of Cheney, Chalabi, and Wolfowitz, known as the Tailors of
Baghdad, as his official clothiers (...) They promised the monarch that he
had only to wear their suit of clothes and all Baghdad would fall before
him. And not just Baghdad, but all of Araby as well. These liberated realms
would accept the emperor's ! values, and the empire could have access to
their oil, their military bases, and all his new subjects would joyfully
fall over one another in praise of the emperor's clothes. Mr. Chalabi even
threw in an extra pair of pants for the same price...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8451&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8451

Former US official blasts Iraq policy
Aljazeera.net
A former US national security advisor has strongly criticised the US-led
invasion of Iraq. Zbigniew Brzezinski, who served under President Jimmy
Carter from 1976-1980, also made a scathing assessment of the ensuing
occupation after Saddam Hussein was ousted as Iraqi leader. He said the US
administration will now have to scale down its ambitions for Iraq's
future...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8442&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8442

Returning to Felluce Requires Strong Heart
Zaman Newspaper
...It is reported that only 500 people returned in the first two days. A
ruined city is waiting for the ones who come back to the city. Dr Saleh
Isavi, Deputy Head of Fallujah Hospital, told the BBC that people started
to return to the city on Monday morning. Isavi disclosed that 70 percent of
the houses in the city were destroyed in heavy bombardment and added that
there are no houses that are undamaged...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8441&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8441

L'ordine regna a Falluja: Napalm, bombardamenti casa per casa, gas
Umanità Nova
"In Iraq ci sono le scuole, c'è una vita regolare. Poi ci sono alcune cose
che non funzionano. A esempio i semafori". (S. Berlusconi, 29.09.04)
Per quanti cercano di seguire l'andamento della situazione in Iraq, il
trascorso mese di novembre ha evidenziato due coincidenze solo
apparentemente contraddittorie: mai le notizie riguardanti le operazioni di
guerra sono state così rarefatte e mai in precedenza, dall'inizio
dell'occupazione, le truppe Usa hanno ammesso un numero così elevato di
perdite in un solo mese (almeno 137). Ennesima dimostrazione che in Iraq si
sta svolgendo un conflitto coperto dal segreto militare...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8462&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8462

US Disclosures Signal Wider Detainee Abuse
Charlie Savage
A trove of government disclosures forced by a Freedom of Information Act
lawsuit has signaled that the abuse of detainees in Iraq and at the US
naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, was much broader than the Bush
administration has portrayed it since the Abu Ghraib prison scandal became
public this spring...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8445&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8445

Filling in the Blanks (or, Just What the FBI Thinks it is Hiding)
Brian Dominick , The NewStandard
...The nature of the "cover-up" referred to in that almost totally-redacted
document is completely blanked out (...) But we reported the details 5
months ago. Here is The NewStandard version of what it says under the
blanks: A US Army counterintelligence agent who accused fellow National
Guardsmen of abusing Iraqi detainees says that his own commander coerced an
Army psychiatrist into diagnosing him as "de! lusional." According to
Sergeant Greg Ford, his commanding officer confronted psychiatrist Angelina
Madera, a captain with the 30th Medical Support Element, after she had
initially assessed Ford to be mentally stable ...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8439&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8439

Iraq Rejects U.S. Talk of Adjusting Vote Result
Luke Baker
Iraq's election body rejected a suggestion in Washington it adjust the
results of next month's vote to benefit the Sunni minority if low turnout
in Sunni areas means Shi'ites win an exaggerated majority in the new
assembly. Speaking of "unacceptable" interference, Electoral Commission
spokesman Farid Ayar said: "Who wins, wins. That is the way it is. That is
the way it will be in the election" ...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8436&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8436

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Saturday, 25 December 2004
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member editorial board The
Free Arab Voice.
...Iraqi Resistance forces have announced that five members of the Zionist
Mossad secret police were killed and one other member taken prisoner
Saturday morning south of Baghdad. A communiqué issued by the Resistance, a
copy of which Mafkarat al-Islam obtained, said that a detachment of
Resistance fighters attacked an armored GMC vehicle in the az-Za'faraniy!
ah area of Baghdad at 10am Saturday, killing five persons...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8434&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8434

New Rand study suggests exploiting Sunni, Shiite and Arab, non-Arab divides
to promote the US policy objectives in the Muslim world
Abdus Sattar Ghazali, AMP
A new Rand Corporation study suggests that Sunni, Shiite and Arab, non-Arab
divides should be exploited to promote the US policy objectives in the
Muslim world. The recently released Rand study - titled "U.S. Strategy in
the Muslim World After 9/11" - was conducted on behalf of the US Air Force.
One of the primary objective of the study was to "identify the ! key
cleavages and fault lines among sectarian, ethnic, regional, and national
lines and to assess how these cleavages generate challenges and
opportunities for the United States."...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8435&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8435

Fallujah people in woe as tragedy continues
Xinhua
The people of Fallujah who returned home were shocked at the destruction of
their houses due to the US-led attacks on the city last month. After
waiting for a long time, local people managed to enter the city, 50 km west
of Baghdad, after US forces allowed them to return home. "I passed through
very complex procedures before entering the city, US soldiers took my
fingerprints and checked my eyes, and then asked for more than one document
to prove that I am resid! ent of Hay Al Andalus in Fallujah," 30-year-old
Mohamed Jaleel told Xinhua...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8433&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8433

Lawyer wants Iraq's Aziz freed for 'lack of proof'
AFP
The lawyer for former Iraqi deputy prime minister Tareq Aziz, being held
for trial on two counts of mass murder, said he would seek his client's
freedom for lack of proof. "On Sunday I will present a petition to the
chief of the investigating magistrates on the Iraqi Special Tribunal (IST)
that Tareq Aziz be freed for lack of proof," Badi Aref Izzat told AFP
(...)"No personal claim has been made against him," he said, arguing that
the law requires that...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8432&s2=27>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8432

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.