[uruknet.info] - [daily information from occupied iraq] - [newsletter 01 Jan 2005]

  uruknet.info
  «Ë-Ë"Ê Æ‰Ê·Ë
:: information from occupied iraq
:: informazione dall'iraq occupato

Bush will lose in Iraq
W.L. Floyd, Online Journal Contributing Writer
According to UN Weapons Inspector Scott Ritter, Saddam Hussein's Mukhabarat
(secret police) devised a plan to defeat the US Occupation. Dismissed by
Bush Medal of Peace winner Jerry Lewis Paul Bremer immediately after the
fall of Baghdad, the Mukhabarat are conducting a classical guerrilla war
against US troops. The plan was created before the invasion (...) According
to experts, there were 25,000 Mukhabarat agents before the invasion. The
unem! ployed Iraqi Army numbers 350,000. Plus there are 3,000,000 armed
Baath Party faithful lying in wait. Bush and Rumsfeld can only lose in
Iraq...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8556&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8556

Iraq:anche gli agricoltori sotto tiro
MARINELLA CORREGGIA, il manifesto
La famosa cartellina del «passaggio di consegne» dal governatore
statunitense Bremer al premier iracheno Allawi conteneva 100 decreti messi
a punto dalla Coalition Provisional Authority (Cpa); fra quelli, l'ordine
81 su «Brevetti, design industriale, informazioni riservate, circuiti
integrati e varietà di piante». Un decreto che cambia la normativa irachena
sui brevetti del 1970 e che, se non sarà rivisto o respinto da un nuovo
governo, ha fo! rza e status di legge vincolante. Con implicazioni
nient'affatto secondarie...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8546&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8546

Iraq Torture Investigators Reveal Scores of New Cases
Lisa Ashkenaz Croke, The NewStandard
An American legal team interviewing men and women formerly held in US-run
prisons throughout Iraq says new cases of abuse and torture have continued
to stream in since an initial fact-finding mission to the country in
August. Michigan-based attorney Shereef Akeel told The NewStandard that he
has not had time to count up each separate allegation of abuse since
returning from a December trip to Amman, Jordan, where he met wit! h
released detainees, but said there were "absolutely" now at least 100
cases...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8558&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8558

Free Dr. Huda Ammash and all the Iraqi Detainees NOW! Petition
...We are a group of international men and women who are deeply concerned
about the incarceration of Dr. Huda Ammash. Dr. Ammash, a University of
Missouri graduate and Iraqi mother, wife, teacher, and scientist, has been
held in prison without charge by US military authorities in Iraq since May,
2003. Citizens around the world are concerned about the civil rights of
Professor Ammash, who has been deprived since May of contact with her
family, her chi! ldren and husband, denied knowledge of the charges against
her, and denied information about her release...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8565&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8565

Dr. Huda Salih Mahdi Ammash Suffering Cancer in US Custody
Al-Jazeerah
The jailed Iraqi official and germ warfare scientist, who is derogatorily
dubbed by gloating pro-war and pro-Israel Western media as "Mrs. Anthrax"
has cancer. Though there are thousands of US, Israeli, and Western
microbiologists, the Western corporate media never call them Mr. or Mrs.
Anthrax, which is another evidence that corporate Western media are not
free and function as disinformation units for the benefit of war efforts...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8567&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8567

'The Great Game'
Book Review: A Century of War - Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New
World Order by William Engdahl
Reviewed by William Bowles
...For anyone who wants to understand how the world of today came to be,
then this is the book to read, especially given the knee-jerk reactions of
the mass media who are all too quick to condemn with patronising bleats
about the 'conspiracists' anyone who cries 'it's all about oil!' when
talking of Iraq. Refer them to this essential history of the role o! f oil
in the shaping of our world. I cannot recommend it too highly...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8555&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8555

The Failure of Empire
by the Editors, Monthly Review
The United States is facing the prospect of a major defeat in Iraq that is
likely to constitute a serious setback in the ongoing campaign to expand
the American empire. Behind the pervasive war propaganda as evidenced in
the "victorious" attack on Fallujah lies the reality of a U.S. war machine
that is fighting a futile battle against growing guerrilla forces, with
little chance for a stable political solution to the conflict that could
possibly meet U.S. imper! ial objectives...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8564&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8564

BRING THEM HOME -- SOONER RATHER THAN LATER
Sheila Samples, thepeoplesvoice.org
USA Today founder Al Neuharth's New Year's Resolution that we should
support the troops in Iraq by bringing them home has stirred up a hornet's
nest, according to Editor & Publisher Magazine which, after describing
Neuharth's Dec. 22 Christmas column, was inundated with hate mail. The E&P
staff wrote that Neuharth said if he were eligible to serve in Iraq, "I
would do all I could to avoid it." Neuharth also wrote in his weekly
column! for the paper that America's New Year's Resolution should be to
bring the troops home "sooner rather than later"...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8559&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8559

Statistics Don't Lie
Tet, Iraqwar
For the occupiers we know that not counting fatalities is not a lie but an
omission. We are now at a point in the occupation where we have two 10
month periods to compare these omissions and see what they're telling us.
The U.S. has been in Iraq for a total of 22 months but I'm going to leave
January and February of 2004 out of this comparison because the U.S. was
not in Iraq for Jan or Feb of 2003 to compare...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8561&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8561

Special Report
The crime of war: from Nuremberg to Fallujah
Nicolas J S Davies, Online Journal Contributing Writer
In September, U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan told the BBC that the
U.S./British invasion of Iraq was illegal under international law [1]. The
following week, he dedicated his entire annual address to the U.N. General
Assembly to the subject of international law, saying, "We must start from
the principle that no one is above the law, and no one should be denied its
protection." So, how wa! s the invasion of Iraq illegal? How does that
affect the situation there today? And what are the practical implications
of this for U.S. policy going forward, in Iraq and elsewhere?...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8568&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8568

HOW DEPLETED URANIUM WEAPONS ARE KILLING OUR TROOPS
Christopher Bollyn
The following document by Marion Fulk, a nuclear physical chemist, and
Leuren Moret, a geo-scientist, provides a concise and essential explanation
of the biological response to depleted uranium (DU) particulate internal
exposure. Military research laboratories report that the particulate effect
of DU causes 1 million times more damage than the expected damage from the
radiation effect alone - genetic damage. Cancer starts with a single alpha
! particle under the right conditions...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8548&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8548

A 'Long War' Against Whom?
Robert Parry, Robert Parry
George W. Bush's vision for America's future is coming into clearer focus
following Election 2004: For the next generation or more, it appears the
American people will be asked to sacrifice their children, their tax
dollars and possibly the remnants of their democracy to what a top U.S.
commander now candidly calls the "Long War"...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8554&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8554

Stingy? Not With WMD and War
Heather Woksuch, www.dissidentvoice.org
...But it's unfair to say the Bush administration is stingy - it just has
different priorities. The White House has so far requested roughly $100
billion for the occupation of Iraq in FY 2005, which translates to about
$8.3 billion per month, or over $270 million per day (eighteen times more
than the administration's first offer of help to tsunami victims). And
that's only Iraq...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8553&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8553

Fresh fighting erupts around Baghdad
Aljazeera.net
Fighting between US forces and armed groups has broken out in and around
the Iraqi capital, intensifying on the road leading to Baghdad airport.
Speaking to Aljazeera from Baghdad on Saturday, Iraqi journalist Ziyad
al-Samarrai said a fierce firefight broke out just before midnight and
continued until early morning...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8551&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8551

FLASHBACK: Claims of Saddam's Genocide Far from Proven
Robin Miller, Media Monitors Network
...The only verified Kurdish civilian deaths from chemical weapons occurred
in the Iraqi village of Halabja, near the Iran border, where at least
several hundred people died from gas poisoning in mid-March, 1988. We know
that Iran overran the village and its small garrison of Iraqi troops; what
is contested is who was responsible for the deaths--Iran or Iraq--and how
large the death toll was. The best evidence is a 1990 re! port by the
Strategic Studies Institute of the U.S. Army War College.[2] It concluded
that Iran, not Iraq, was the culprit in Halabja...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8549&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8549

The Duplicity of the Media
Iraq vs. Tsunami
MIKE WHITNEY, CounterPunch
The American media has descended on the Asian tsunami with all the fervor
of feral animals in a meat locker (...) This is where the western press
really excels; in the celebratory atmosphere of human catastrophe. Their
penchant for misery is only surpassed by their appetite for profits. Where
was this "free press" in Iraq when the death toll was skyrocketing towards
100,000? So far, we we,ve seen nothing of the devastation in Falluja! where
more than 6,000 were killed and where corpses were lined along the city's
streets for weeks on end. Is death less photogenic in Iraq? Or, are there
political motives behind the coverage?...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8552&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8552

UK war crimes claims examined in The Hague
Severin Carrell
Claims that the UK has committed war crimes against Iraqi civilians are
being examined by the International Criminal Court after complaints by a
panel of legal experts. In a letter seen by The Independent on Sunday, the
chief prosecutor of the ICC in The Hague has described the war crimes
allegations as "one of the most significant" cases he has seen, and were
being given "deserved weight" by his investigators...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8547&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8547

Top Ten War Profiteers of 2004
Center for Corporate Responsibility
At the beginning of the Iraq war, Andrew Natsios, head of the U.S. Agency
for International Development (AID), proclaimed that the reconstruction of
Iraq would look like a modern-day Marshall Plan. But a year and a half
later, a combination of bureaucratic ineptitude, corporate corruption and
the growing Iraqi resistance threaten to undermine the Bush
administration's grand designs...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8545&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8545

US Applying 'Israeli Tactics' in Felluce
Zaman
It has recently been discovered that US and Iraqi forces have been using a
method of demolishing houses in Felluce (Fallujah) that Israelis have also
used on Palestinian homes. An Iraqi soldier told an Agency France Press
(AFP) reporter that they set the houses on fire where they encounter
pro-insurgence publications or materials. Ismail Ibrahim Shaalan, a 50 year
old resident of Fallujah, explained that he saw some soldiers set houses on
fire on December 14th even ! though there were no clashes...

<http://uruknet.info?s1=1&p=8544&s2=02>Read the full article / Leggi
l'articolo completo: www.uruknet.info?p=8544

<http://www.uruknet.info>www.uruknet.info: a site gathering daily
information concerning occupied Iraq: news, analysis, documents and texts
of iraqi resistance available in Italian and English.

You receive this newsletter because you subscribed it. If you think it has
been an abuse, or simply if you don't want to receive it any more, to
unsubscribe from our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>webmaster at uruknet.info
If you cannot read correctly our newsletter, please write to
<mailto:webmaster at uruknet.info?subject=ONLYTEXT>webmaster at uruknet.info to
get the text-version.