War in Iraq Escalates, Immediate Action Needed!

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
http://www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545

Please share this message with others.

WAR IN IRAQ ESCALATES, IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED

The situation in Iraq has taken another turn for the worse. Sections of the
Shi'a south have risen up against the U.S. occupation in just the last few
days, U.S. war planes have bombarded the holy city of Najaf, and at least
300 Iraqis have been killed. Occupying soldiers are dying at an alarming
rate - in July, 54 U.S. soldiers were killed in Iraq, up from 42 in June.
And the Iraqi population is being terrorized by a military occupation and a
spate of terrorist attacks that run the gamut from kidnappings and
beheadings to suicide bombings and assassinations.

Where has the U.S. media been while this violence and chaos have been
unfolding? They have been missing in action - too busy whipping the public
into a frenzy about possible terrorist attacks to cover the growing crisis
in Iraq, where a war is still raging on and more people are being killed
every day.

How many more Iraqis and international soldiers will be killed before this
occupation is ended? Now is the time for immediate action!

We need to hold the Bush administration accountable for this horrible war
and its aftermath, and we need to do it NOW.

ACTION IDEAS:

1. Organize a vigil at your local federal building or other central
location as soon as possible to bring attention to the ongoing war and
crisis in Iraq. Alert your local media about the vigil, and post your event
on the calendar at http://www.unitedforpeace.org

2. Call your local media outlets and insist they cover the Iraq war on
their front page, where it belongs. Email reporters good articles about
what's happening in Iraq to give them ideas. Write letters to the editor
informing the public about what's going on. Many good articles from all
over the world can be found by at http://www.occupationwatch.org

3. SHOW UP IN NEW YORK CITY ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 29 AND SAY NO TO THE WAR ON
IRAQ AND THE BUSH AGENDA ON THE EVE OF THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION.
The eyes of the world will be upon us in New York, and we must speak out
for peace and justice. Organize a busload of people, get on a train, buy a
plane ticket...just show up!

AUGUST 29, THE WORLD SAYS NO TO THE BUSH AGENDA!
Massive Protest at the Republican National Convention, New York City
* Assemble at 10:00AM, Seventh Avenue @ 14th Street
* March steps off at noon
Visit the RNC mobilizing section of our website for resources and to
endorse the August 29 demonstration:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/rnc
We need your financial support to make the August 29 protest a success:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate