Help Fahrenheit 9/11 Moviegoers Turn Up the Heat

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
http://www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
Download and distribute our “Turn Up the Heat” action leaflet
at Fahrenheit 9/11 screenings this weekend
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/downloads/fahrenheit911final.pdf
In this alert:
1) Help Fahrenheit 9/11 moviegoers turn up the heat
2) Nationwide actions June 26-27 to protest sham “transfer” in Iraq
3) Tell Kerry & Bush to bring troops home from Iraq now

1) HELP FAHRENHEIT 9/11 MOVIEGOERS TURN UP THE HEAT

Beginning this Friday, June 25, millions of Americans will get an
eye-opening education about the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks
when they turn out in droves to see Michael Moore’s new film Fahrenheit
9/11. The film, which received top awards at the Cannes Film Festival and
has won advance critical raves, shows how the Bush administration’s
response to the 9/11 attacks has harmed people all over the world – from
the hundreds of U.S. troops and thousands of innocent Iraqis whose lives
were lost in the recent war to the millions of Americans whose civil
liberties were rolled back with the passage of the PATRIOT Act.

Moore’s new movie has great potential for education – but education about
our government’s actions is only the first step toward changing harmful
policies. That’s why we’re encouraging you to help F 9/11 moviegoers to
take the next step.

TAKE ACTION: DISTRIBUTE FLYERS OUTSIDE FAHRENHEIT 9/11 SCREENINGS STARTING
FRIDAY, JUNE 25

United for Peace and Justice, CODEPINK, and Global Exchange have created a
flyer that you can download from any of our websites and distribute outside
Fahrenheit 9/11 screenings. The flyer describes five things F 9/11 viewers
can do to turn up the heat on our government:

* Get Behind the National Voter Registration Effort
* Raise Hell about Halliburton’s War Profiteering
* Protest at the Republican National Convention in NYC on August 29
* Join a Peace Group and Help End the Occupation of Iraq
* Educate Your Family and Friends

The flyer also lists numerous activist email lists and websites as well as
independent media outlets to provide moviegoers with more ideas for action
and ongoing news and analysis.

Download the leaflet at:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/downloads/fahrenheit911final.pdf.

Find out where Fahrenheit 9/11 is showing in your community by visiting
http://www.f911tix.com

When you hand out the flyers, people will be more likely to take them if
you tell them what the flyer is about. Try saying, “take action about what
you just saw in Fahrenheit 9/11” as you hand out your flyers.

Between United for Peace and Justice, CODEPINK, and Global Exchange (both
member groups of UFPJ), we have a network of tens of thousands of peace and
justice activists. If enough of us all over the country get out to our
movie theatres to flyer people who’ve just seen Fahrenheit 9/11, we will be
making a real difference for people who are upset about our government’s
policies but don’t know what they can do to change them. Let’s not miss
this opportunity!

2) NATIONWIDE JUNE 26-27 ACTIONS AGAINST THE CONTINUED U.S. OCCUPATION OF IRAQ

On June 30th the so-called transfer of power is scheduled to take place in
Iraq. But we know the U.S. military and corporate occupation of Iraq is far
from over. With plans to keep more than 138,000 U.S. soldiers in Iraq, the
U.S. will still be calling the shots. Iraqis won’t be running their own
country. The so-called “transfer of sovereignty” is a sham.

It is time to bring our soldiers home, and not in body bags! In a joint
initiative with Win Without War, United for Peace and Justice is calling
for local groups around the country to organize rallies, marches, vigils,
educational forums, and other activities that express the deep and growing
opposition to the Bush administration's polices in Iraq. Send a message to
President Bush: End the Occupation of Iraq, Bring the Troops Home Now.

Almost 30 events are scheduled already, in Los Angeles, Atlanta, Boston,
New York, and numerous other cities. To find an event in your community,
visit
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/calendar.php?caltype=24

If you know of an event that’s not already listed in this calendar, please
list it at
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/calendar_gxinput.php

3) TELL KERRY AND BUSH, BRING THE TROOPS HOME NOW!

George Bush isn’t the only politician who needs to feel the heat about the
ongoing military occupation of Iraq. Presumptive Democratic nominee John
Kerry needs to hear from us, too. , to encourage him to take a far stronger
stance than he has to date about the disastrous U.S. policy in Iraq. He
needs to be encouraged to take a far stronger stance than he has to date
about the disastrous U.S. policy in Iraq.

If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute today to send letters
to the two presidential candidates urging an end to the occupation of Iraq,
by visiting http://www.unitedforpeace.org/unsilentmajority

AUGUST 29, THE WORLD SAYS NO TO THE BUSH AGENDA!
March and Rally at the Republican National Convention, New York City
Visit the new RNC mobilizing section of our website for resources and to
endorse the August 29 demonstration:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/rnc
We need your financial support to make the August 29 protest a success:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate