POETRY AGAINST WAR - CAsa della poesia

POETRY AGAINST WAR

Every person is a  poem, a living poem. Every animal is a poem. Every tree,
every flower is a poem. Every mountain, every stone is a poem. War,
infinite terror, has destroyed millions of poems. The warlords are about to
destroy other millions of poems. Once again everyone must contribute with
his or her specific means in the edification of hope. The Casa della Poesia
(House of Poetry) is also a home to peace and fellowship among peoples, a
place where diversities meet.

The Casa della Poesia and the poets associated with it have always come out
against the use of force to solve international problems and conflicts, and
they express their total disagreement with the war policies threatening a
new slaughter which, in the words of the very ones who are behind it, will
have the epoch-making significance of a "second Hiroshima." Recent armed
conflicts have begun to look more and more like wars for political,
cultural, and economic hegemony, waged to impose certain models of
development and organize the world market so that the rich countries can
continue to exploit resources and goods at the expense of the poor.

In order to come forth with a clear statement against war, we shall use the
instrument we all share and that lets us walk together along a common path:
poetry.

In this spirit, we invite poets and writers from all over the world to make
their feelings and dissent public by contributing to this project of
"poetry against war," participating in the initiative and sending us one or
more texts (statements and/or poems). We will post them on our web site
and, if we can find enough resources to do so, publish them in book form.

Help us to broadcast this invitation in an effort to reach writers and
poets from all over the world, a sort of globalization of poetic
resistance. We urge this in the spirit of the Sicilian poet and singer of
tales Ignazio Butitta who envisioned a society of "pane, pace e poesia,"
bread, peace, and poetry.

In fine we ask all our friends, professors, teachers, translators, and
organizers, as well as public corporations and institutions to offer us
their help in this undertaking.

Multimedia Edizioni / Casa della poesia

C.P. 125, 84100 Salerno (Italia)

Tel. 089/951621 - 347/6275911 - 328/8450483

www.casadellapoesia.org - e-mail: direzione at casadellapoesia.org