Fw: [ANSWER]: I will help defend civil rights!

From: "A.N.S.W.E.R." <answer.general at action-mail.org>
To: <answer.general at action-mail.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 2:51 AM
Subject: [ANSWER]: I will help defend civil rights!

 Dear Friend,

 More than 600 organizers and activists participated in
 A.N.S.W.E.R.'s Emergency National conference held on June
 1 in New York City. The conference adopted a "Defend Civil
 Rights Campaign" that begin with the June 29th
 demonstration at the FBI and Justice Department
 headquarters in Washington DC. Buses and car caravans are
 coming from all over the East Coast to Washington DC on
 June 29th. Other cities -- those that can't make it to DC
 -- are organizing local rallies June 28th and 29th at
 Federal buildings in their cities and towns.

 We are launching this campaign in defense of civil rights
 because Bush and Ashcroft are trying to silence critics of
 their foreign and domestic policies. They want to stifle
 dissent by combining the tactics of J. Edgar Hoover's
 vicious reign at the FBI with a new kind of McCarthyism --
 a witchhunt against people who are targeted for their
 political and religious convictions.

 We are optimistic that we can turn this tide by organizing
 a massive campaign in defense of civil rights. It is
 important that people not be intimidated, scared and timid

 People around the country are responding to our work. For
 example, our web site received more than 1 million "hits"
 and tens of thousands of people downloaded our leaflets,
 fact sheets and press releases in just the few days just
 before and after the historic 100,000-strong demonstration
 on April 20th.

 We urge you to become a supporter of this effort by making
as generous a contribution as possible. We are filling
 buses, sending out mass mailings, reaching out to
 educational and religious institutions, holding
 educational seminars, sponsoring press conferences in many
 cities, speaking on TV and radio, and organizing all the
 other tasks to make this a new national "Free Speech"
 movement .

 Please make a contribution to this effort. If you can't go
 to Washington DC make a donation so that we can subsidize
 buses for young people and those on a fixed income. To
 make a contribution online go to
 http://www.internationalanswer.org/donate.html . Checks
 and money orders can be mailed to 39 W. 14th St., Room
 206, NY NY 10011 (checks of $50 or more are tax-deductible
 and can be made out to ?Peoples Rights Fund/No War?;
 checks under $50 can be made out to ?A.N.S.W.E.R.?).

 We are also providing a special complimentary gift to all
 those who are able to make a donation of $100 or more. We
 will ship to you an important (and particularly relevant)
 newly released hardcover book from St. Martin Press
 entitled:  The Einstein File -- J. Edgar's Secret War
 Against the World's Most Famous Scientist.

 "The Einstein File," by Fred Jerome, is a 358-page
 recounting of J. Edgar Hoover's targeting  of the beloved
 and revered scientist. Einstein, we learn from this book,
 was subjected to FBI abuse, not because of suspected
 criminal activity, but because he was a "committed social
 activist, anti-racist, anti-war critic of capitalism,
 whose daring extended beyond mathematics," writes NAACP
 Chairman Julian Bond in praise for this new book.

 This powerful eye-opening book, which is priced at $27.95,
 is based on Jerome's painstaking research using material
 newly obtained through the Freedom of Information Act.
 Everyone who makes a contribution to A.N.S.W.E.R.?s
 ?Defend Civil Rights Campaign? of $100 or more by June 29
 will receive a complimentary copy of this book.
 Contributions can be made online at
 http://www.internationalanswer.org/donate.html (please
 indicate in ?shipping information? where you would like
 the book sent).

 Thank you for your support for A.N.S.W.E.R.'s work in
 building a mass movement to oppose war and racism and in
 defense of free speech at home. Go to
 http://www.internationalanswer.org for the June 29 Call to
 Action, endorsers list, endorsement form, downloadable
 flyers, transportation to DC and more! We hope to see you
 on June 29th.

 In solidarity,
 *Ramsey Clark
 *Elias Rashmawi, Free Palestine Alliance ? USA
 *Mara Verheyden-Hilliard, Partnership for Civil
 Justice-LDEF
 *Lucius Walker, IFCO/Pastors for Peace
 *Bishop Thomas Gumbleton, Aux. Bishop, Catholic
 Archdiocese of Detroit
 *Larry Holmes, International Action Center
 *Barbara Lubin, Middle East Children?s Alliance
 *Chuck Kaufman, National Nicaragua Network
 *Yoomi Jeong, Korea Truth Commission
 *Brian Becker, International Action Center
 *Joe Navidad, Bayan International USA
 *Tom Hansen, Mexico Solidarity Network

 Send replies to answer at action-mail.org