END GLOBAL ANARCHY

GLOBAL DEMILITARIZATION                              June 4, 2002

Dear friends, we hope you can take a moment to help urge political
leaders of the nuclear weapons states to disable all the nuclear
weapons in the world.
or delete other email addresses than the one from which you write
or for other information, please send us a personal message.
Please send the following or a similar letter, email, fax or phone
message to the President of the United States each month.  Also
please send copies to the Heads of State of the other nuclear
weapons nations, whose addresses are listed at the end.
If you are an officer of a peace, environmental or religious
organization: In your next correspondence with your members, please
urge them also to send these messages each month.  You are welcome
to share this message with anyone else who may be willing to help.
END GLOBAL ANARCHY

President George W. Bush
The White House
Washington, DC 20500, USA
tel +1-202-456-1111, fax +1-202-456-2461
email president at whitehouse.gov

Cc: Vladimir Putin, President, Russia <rusun at undp.org>
Tony Blair, Prime Minister, Britain (Fax +44-207-925-0918)
Jacques Chirac, President, France <fraun at undp.org>
Jiang Zemin, President, China <chnun at undp.org>
Ariel Sharon, Prime Minister, Israel (Fax +972-2-664-838)
Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Prime Minister, India <indun at undp.org>
Gen. Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan <pakistan at undp.org>

Dear Mr. President,

     A century ago, Grenville Clark, who later became co-author
with Louis B. Sohn of the influential 1958 book "World Peace
Through World Law," rode through a town in the Midwest and found
that every man was carrying two loaded guns in his belt.  When he
returned a year later, he was surprised to see that nobody had a
gun.  He asked what had happened.  "Shortly after you left," he was
told, "there was a series of fatal shootings.  A judge passed
through our town and offered to come by once a week to sit to court
if we would agree to give up our guns and appoint a sheriff.  We
thought, why not try, and have indeed felt much safer since then."

     This is the road we need to pursue to be secure in today's
world.  As long as we have global anarchy, with every country
fending for itself, we cannot be secure.  If only a single nation
makes nuclear weapons available to terrorists, all are in grave
danger.  No country, not even a superpower, can solve global
problems by itself.  Only through global cooperation can we
effectively prevent threats to human existence.  We need global
treaties with effective verification and enforcement.

     We urge you to uphold international treaties that improve all
of our security, including the anti-ballistic missile treaty, the
chemical and biological weapons bans and their verification, the
Kyoto treaty to stem global warming, and the Nuclear Non-
proliferation treaty, under which the United States and other
nuclear powers committed themselves to nuclear disarmament.

     Sincerely,

     [Your name, post address & country]
OTHER ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE:
1) Write also to your national and local representatives.
2) Write by hand (a list of mailing addresses is attached below).
3) Reformulate as a letter to the editor of your local newspaper.
4) Send us the names and email addresses of others who you believe
   may participate in this monthly campaign.
5) Inform us of what you have done, and make other suggestions.
Addresses of the heads of other nuclear weapons states:

President Vladimir Putin
Office of the Government
Krasnopresenskaya 2
Moscow, RUSSIA
tel +7-095-925-3581, fax +7-095-205-4219
email rusun at undp.org

Prime Minister Tony Blair
Prime Minister's Office
10 Downing Street
London, SW 1A 2 AA, BRITAIN
tel +44-171-270-3000
fax +44(207)925-0918
website www.number-10.gov.uk

President Jacques Chirac
Office du President, Palais De L'Elysee
55-57 rue du Faubourg St. Honore
75008 Paris, FRANCE
tel +33-1-4292-8100, Fax +33-1-4742-2465
email fraun at undp.org

President Jiang Zemin
Office of the Premier
225 Chaoyangmennei Dajie, Dongsi
Beijing, P. R. CHINA
email chnun at undp.org

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon
Office of the Prime Minister
3 Rehov Kaplan, Hakirya
Jerusalem 91007, ISRAEL
tel +972-2-705555, fax +972-2-664838

Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee
Prime Minister's Office
South Block
New Delhi 110011, INDIA
tel +91-11-3013040, fax +91-11-3016857
email indun at undp.org

Gen. Pervez Musharraf
Islamabad, PAKISTAN
telex 5742
email pakistan at undp.org
Best regards,
Sue & Marvin Clark, Co-directors, Global Demilitarization
42 Maple Avenue, Troy, NY, 12180 USA
Dietrich Fischer, Pace Univ. Pleasantville, NY 10570, board member

Administrative Board Members:
Oscar Arias, Nobel Peace Laureate, honorary member
Jonathan Schell, Author
Mary Evelyn Jegen, SND, Pax Christi International
Bill Price, Director, World Peacemakers
Bill Hartung, Author
Organizations are for identification only
Emailings monthly since July 1996

Sent via Pace University's WebMail system at fsmail.pace.edu