Fw: [ANSWER]: UPDATE ON APRIL 20 A.N.S.W.E.R COALITION SCENARIO

----- Original Message -----
From: "A.N.S.W.E.R." <answer.general at action-mail.org>
To: <answer.general at action-mail.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2002 10:23 PM
Subject: [ANSWER]: UPDATE ON APRIL 20 A.N.S.W.E.R COALITION SCENARIO

 UPDATE ON APRIL 20 A.N.S.W.E.R COALITION SCENARIO
 March 3, 2002

 We are heartened by the large volume of positive responses
 to the announcement issued by the A.N.S.W.E.R. steering
 committee (February 27) that the coalition was shifting
 the date of its demonstration to Saturday, April 20. The
 change to April 20 was in turn a response to a large
 number of requests asking for a united date for anti-war
 forces to converge this spring in Washington DC. The
 A.N.S.W.E.R. coalition has been and continues to be in
 communication with other groups organizing on the weekend
 of April 19-22 for a variety of activities.

 The demonstration couldn't come at a more important
 moment. We are focusing the political protest against the
 Bush administration's expanding war against oppressed
 peoples all over the world. The Bush program represents
 the extreme right wing of corporate America. It represents
 a violent assault on people's rights at home and abroad
 and a dangerous assault on the environment.

 On April 20, anti-war activists, workers, trade unionists,
 communities of color, women, lesbian, gay, bi and trans
communities, communities of faith, and others will take to
 the streets of Washington DC to say that Bush cannot speak
 in our name as his administration carries out the
 anti-people, pro-corporate, militarist agenda.

 WE WILL ASSEMBLE AT THE WHITE HOUSE AT 11 AM ON SATURDAY,
 APRIL 20 in order to protest against the real "axis of
 evil": war, racism and poverty.

 In the early afternoon of April 20, we will MARCH from the
 White House, east on Pennsylvania Ave. directly in front
 of the White House, and proceeding on Pennsylvania Ave. to
 the Justice Department. At the Justice
 Department--directly across the street from the J. Edgar
 Hoover FBI building--we will rally in defense of civil
 rights and civil liberties and to demand the repeal of
 Ashcroft's USA Patriot Act.

 Following the rally at the Justice Department, it will be
 our goal to link up with the other anti-war coalition that
 is planning activities on April 20. We recognize that the
 anti-war movement includes people and organizations from a
 range of traditions, beliefs, and political currents. But,
 we also recognize that thousands and thousands of people
 must march shoulder to shoulder in the streets in
 Washington DC if we are to build an anti-war, anti-racist
 movement strong enough to dismantle the Bush perpetual war
 machine.

 MASS ASSEMBLY AT THE WHITE HOUSE - 11 AM

 At the White House, we will condemn the massive bombing of
 Afghanistan that has killed thousands of civilians. At
 this moment, U.S. forces have launched a new offensive in
 Afghanistan using experimental "thermobaric" bombs that
 suffocate all living things. During the war, the U.S. has
 used fuel-air explosives, cluster bombs and other weapons,
 the use of which, by definition, constitutes a war crime.
 The Bush administration has used the war in Afghanistan as
 a springboard to establish new U.S. military bases in
 South/Central Asia. We will demand that these bases be
 dismantled and that the troops be brought home
 immediately.

 At the White House, we will show our solidarity with the
 besieged people of Palestine, who are at this very moment
 resisting fierce aggression in the Balata and Jenin
 refugee camps in the occupied West Bank. Ariel Sharon is
 giving the orders to carry out these massacres - but he
 could not do it without the support of the Bush
 administration. U.S.-backed-and-financed Israeli forces
 are today bulldozing the homes of civilians in Occupied
 Territories, they have intentionally destroyed the sole
 source of water into the Balata camp, and they have
 deliberately destroyed the electrical system. These
 Israeli war crimes are being sponsored by the Bush
 administration.

 At the White House, we will show our solidarity with the
 people of the Philippines and Yemen, where Bush has
 already dispatched a growing number of U.S. Special
 Operations forces to occupy and wage war in their
 countries. In the same manner, we will show solidarity
 with the people of Somalia, who fear a repetition of the
 murderous U.S. military actions taken against them in
 1993. The Bush administration seeks to portray these
 interventions as "limited police actions in the war
 against terrorism." Let us never forget that that is
 precisely how the Kennedy administration initially
 explained the introduction of U.S. troops into Vietnam in
 the early 1960s.

 At the White House, we will condemn the new aggression
 waged by the Colombian government and its paramilitary
 proxies against the people. The Pastrana government is
 giving the orders to cancel negotiations and wage war -
 but we well know that the Colombian government would never
 dare to have taken this step if it had not been given the
 money, the weapons and the political support for this
 aggression by the Bush administration.

 At the White House, we will raise our voices to demand "No
 New War Against the People of Iraq" and we will demand the
 immediate elimination of all sanctions on Iraq that in the
 last decade have taken the lives of more than 1.5 million
 Iraqi civilians.

 At the White House, we will stand with the people of
 Korea, who reject the new threats delivered by Bush in his
 State of the Union message. The Korean people want the
 removal of the 37,000 U.S. troops that occupy South Korea.
 The Korean people must be allowed to pursue their own
 destiny, including the right to the reunification of their
 divided nation.

 At the White House, we will extend a hand of solidarity to
 the people of Iran who too are threatened by Bush's "axis
 of evil" stratagem that seeks to demonize in advance the
 potential targets of U.S. military aggression.

 At the White House, we will demand an immediate end to the
 U.S. blockade of Cuba. We will protest the wrongful
 designation by the U.S. government of Cuba as a "terrorist
 state" and demand freedom for the five U.S.-held Cuban
 political prisoners, who have been given harsh prison
 sentences for defending their country from U.S.-sponsored
 terrorism.

 At the White House, we will demand that the Bush
 administration immediately move to extend unemployment
 benefits for the millions of workers who are suffering
 unemployment. We will tell Bush "HANDS OFF SOCIAL
 SECURITY." We will demand money for jobs, education,
 health care and housing - not for wars of aggression in
 the Third World. We will stand against union busting.

 At the White House, we will condemn the Bush
 administration's reintroduction of a form of apartheid in
 law enforcement through the USA Patriot Act that strips
 non-citizens of essential democratic rights and legalizes
 racial and religious profiling. We will make it clear that
 we will not allow the Bush administration to use the "war
 on terrorism" to implement the long-standing agenda of the
 ultra-right and corporate America to stifle progressive
 dissent.

 At the White House, we will demand an end to the use of
 methods of racist terror in the United States, most
 notably the death penalty. George Bush, while governor of
 Texas, executed more people than any governor in U.S.
 history (152 human beings). He is the face of the death
 penalty. The people of the world have let it be known that
 they consider the use of the death penalty in the United
 States to be an unconscionable abrogation of fundamental
 human rights.

 FOR MORE INFORMATION see
 http://www.internationalanswer.org , or email
 ANSWER at afgj.org, or call New York 212-633-6646, Washington
 202-543-2777, Chicago 773-583-7728, San Francisco
 415-821-6545