TFF- a training network too

On http://www.transnational.org from June 7, 2000

Please forward this to someone you think would like to receive the TFF
PressInfos;
to subscribe send a request to <TFF at transnational.org>

T F F   P r e s s I n f o     # 9 6
*********************

T F F   -   A   T R A I N I N G   N E T W O R K   T O O

Lund, Sweden - JUNE 7, 2000

Visit our website training section
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TFF is also a Peace Training Network. The foundation collaborates with a
series of institutions, universities and other NGOs and exchange educators
to serve the needs of our clients.

Clients have been people in war-torn regions, journalists, NGOs, teachers,
youth, former soldiers, human rights activists, UN staff and concerned
citizens of all walks of life. The network of TFF trainers and those of the
organisations we interact with covers some twenty themes relevant to peace,
development, conflict, reconciliation and global conflict-management.

Several of our trainers have 20-30 years of experience in public speaking
combined with  academia, journalism, conflict-resolution, psychology and
other relevant themes.

So -  think of TFF when you think of education and practical skills
training. Learn more about what we can do for and with you at our new
training section at our website:
http://transnational.org/forum/meet/2000/TFF-trainpartners.html

Tell us what your needs are, when where and how much time you have - and we
make a proposal with a budget. Some of the modules are described in the
"Learning Conflict Program" in the same section.

Background and experience
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Transnational Foundation is mostly known for its conflict-mitigation in
former Yugoslavia and its contributions to peace research and debate in
general.

However, over the years thousands of people acquainted themselves with TFF
through a lecturer or trainer somewhere in the world - the Scandinavian
countries, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Austria, Switzerland, Italy,
the United States, Japan. They met a TFF Associate at a conference, a
workshop, a tailor-made peace education seminar or at a public debate
meeting. Here is what some of them thought about it:

"I think that knowledge about conflicts should spread to many people,
especially in the hot areas of ex-Yugoslavia, and with the help of your
foundation."

"I wish the course was much longer."

"This course elevated us and gave us back a more humane attitude."

"I wish you could sow a seed with other people like you did for us."

"Thanks for giving us your time. We are so happy that there are people who
want to understand us and struggle to do so."

"The teachers were professional and talked to us with heart and soul; they
radiated an overwhelming energy."

"This seminar was highly condensed and exhaustive...I suddenly saw new
solutions and the hope I had lost. I developed a sort of security and
self-awareness which can lead to quicker conflict-resolution with others."^

Big or small conflicts - your own or those you work with
We have been teaching under the toughest conditions - with conflicting
parties in the room and police or UN protection outside. We are ready to go
anywhere to help people see each other as human beings first. If you work
in a larger organisation, we can do process consultative work too -
organisations filled with internal conflicts actually sometimes look like a
province at civil war.

TFF and its partner organisations can't solve the problems you have. Only
you can. But we can provide everybody with something like a driving license
to better conflict-management at any level. ^

A driving license - handling conflicts is a science and an art
Why do we train people behind the driving wheel, require that they study
traffic theory and know a number of commonly understood road signs and
rules? Why do we build safer roads and safer cars? We do so to reduce human
suffering, material damage and hospital costs, i.e. to reduce violence to
humans and material objects.

The same applies to conflict and violence: you can try to get somewhere
without the slightest knowledge and you will hurt yourself and everybody
else. Or you can be smarter and know a bit about conflicts since conflicts
are part and parcel of human life, of leadership and cooperation. If you
do, you will reach your goals with less hurt and harm - to yourself and to
others. If everybody knew as much about conflicts as they seem to do about
cars or computers, if it was required of everybody dealing with somebody
else's conflicts that they had a minimum training in this science and art -
the world would be a better place.

A TFF training seminar has made all the difference with quit a few
individuals and organisations over the years. It could with you too.

To begin with, visit:
http://transnational.org/forum/meet/2000/TFF-trainpartners.html

© TFF 2000

Please reprint, copy, archive, quote or re-post this item, but please
retain the source.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Dr. Jan Oberg
Director, head of the TFF Conflict-Mitigation team
to the Balkans and Georgia

T F F

Transnational Foundation for Peace and Future Research
Vegagatan 25, S - 224 57 Lund, Sweden
Phone +46-46-145909 (0900-1100)
Fax +46-46-144512
Email