Fw: CHAVEZ DOCUMENTARY: "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised"

 "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised"

  http://www.chavezthefilm.com/index_ex.htm

  Documentary - U.S. Premiere
  Director/Photographers - Kim Bartley & Donnacha O'Briain

  Possibly the most important documentary of 2003, though
  the only place you'll see it in this country is most
  likely to be film festivals, as there isn't a studio in
  the United States with the balls to release it, or the
  willingness to draw the steam and fire they'd get from
  the Bush Administration and his supporters for marketing
  or distributing it. Nor is there a major television
  network that'll broadcast it. It isn't artistic
  censorship, but it is political & more importantly a
  result of economic censorship.

  What is The Revolution Will Not Be Televised?

  It is perhaps the best and most remarkable at the time
  of history documentary I have ever seen. Capturing every
  side of a remarkable coup that occurred in Venezuela
  where the democratically elected President Hugo Chavez,
  a true man of the people of Venezuela, was captured and
  came very close to disappearing from the face of the
  planet, due to his attacks on the Bush Administration's
  collateral damage in Afghanistan in his War On
  Terrorism. And two, his position on the oil supply of
  Venezuela (3rd Largest Producer of Oil in the World!),
  so that the wealth of Venezuela would help to bring
  education, medicine and enlightenment to the peoples of
  his country.

  You see, Chavez is hugely popular in Venezuela where he
  has a weekly television program and radio program where
  the citizens of his country can call in and talk with
  their President. He listens to their problems, tries to
  explain the government to them and takes notes. He
  teaches the people of Venezuela to learn about their
  constitution, that it is 'the people's book' and rights
  given in there are guaranteed to all men and women no
  matter of their place in society. He believes in the
  system of government that elected him and is a full
  supporter of it.

  Now I'll admit quite pointedly that I am a liberal by
  nature with some conservative streaks through me. I look
  for 'the rest of the story' that isn't coming from the
  'one time liberal media' of this country, which is now
  mainly owned by arch-conservative corporate powers
  today. Finding out who is getting the contracts to
  'rebuild' Afghanistan, Iraq and other countries that we
  are going after. Noticing headlines that are
  deliberately created to provoke instant reactions and
  being disgusted with it all. Much of my disgust comes
  from me trying to piece together stories that are
  related, though never connected, or rarely connected, in
  the newspapers. Something I learned from reading
  Woodward & Bernstein's ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN. However,
  this documentary isn't about theories, isn't about going
  back after something has happened and trying to piece it
  together. Oh no. Kim Bartley and Donnacha O'Briain were
  making a huge documentary on President Hugo Chavez and
  the current state of Venezuela in the first half of
  2002. They were given total access to his presidency,
  him and his people. They also had free reign to
  interview folks on the street, the opposition.
  Essentially to take a snap shot of what Venezuela was at
  that time. The first part of the documentary shows that
  Chavez is very much being considered the Washington of
  Venezuela, the man that is returning power and giving
  hope and education to the people of his country. The
  poor believe in him and the rich seemingly loathe him.
  In the middle of their 4th month of coverage. When
  suddenly the powers that be rose against him and took
  him away.

  This documentary captures live on tape everything that
  happened, all the information as it was coming in. It
  shows how Chavez knowing about the capabilities of the
  oil and media powers in Venezuela and their tactics,
  uses his one channel to the people- Channel 8 - State
  Television, to give his side of what is happening.
  Meanwhile the conservatives controlled 5 'private
  stations' in the country that were constantly calling
  him a communist, the next Castro, essentially demonizing
  him. The leader of the opposition flew to Washington to
  meet with President Bush and his advisors. Upon
  returning from that meeting a renewed vehemence against
  Chavez began. Calling for a march on the State Oil area
  in Caracas, Venezuela. The people of Venezuela in
  response to this gathering decided to gather in front of
  the Presidential Palace to voice their support of the
  President and his policies. Meanwhile at the other
  meeting, they began to FIRE UP the gathers to 'Go Get
  Chavez Out Of The Palace.' Chavez's people on State
  Television begin pleading with the opposition party not
  to do this, because of the 10s of thousands of
  supporters in front of his palace and how this action
  was irresponsible and liable to provoke a tragedy.

  Chavez had a small number of Army types that were
  attempting to keep the two sides from actual clashing.
  All of this being captured by the 'Private' media as
  well as the 'State' media and of course there was also
  the cameras of Kim Bartley and Donnacio O'Briain.
  Snipers from over a half mile away begin firing upon the
  heads of the opposition demonstrators. Killing 10 and
  the panic caused over a hundred injuries.

  The 'Private' media edits the footage to show Chavez's
  supporters firing handguns over a bridge wall off
  camera, then edit that together with the carnage of the
  slain, claiming that Chavez's supporters were gunning
  down the Opposition's 'Peaceful' demonstration. Using
  this footage and lining a few pockets, the Opposition
  gains the support of a few army generals and the head of
  Venezuela's Navy. The Coup is set in motion. First, the
  State Television was taken over. Suddenly on Private
  Television they begin announcing that the murderous
  Chavez has been ousted.

  We're in the palace watching this footage with the Heads
  of State as they see the Coup taking shape. To save the
  lives of the people in the Palace- Department heads,
  secretaries, the vice-president, the camera crew
  shooting this- He is taken away by the generals, and
  nobody knows what happened to him.

  Suddenly, just a run of the mill documentary on the life
  of a South American President was becoming a floor plan
  and blueprint for how the United States uses and
  manipulates foreign powers into overthrowing any leader-
  be it Democratically elected or not. Solely to protect
  its own interest instead of those of the indigenous
  peoples from whom the materials we desire are to be
  taken.

  I won't spoil the rest of the documentary, but it simply
  must be seen. It plays this Saturday night here in
  Austin, Texas at the Paramount Theater. I'll be watching
  it again. It is simply the most amazing and infuriating
  documentary I've ever seen. This isn't like Michael
  Moore's BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE, which while being a
  documentary in presentation, actually comes across as
  more of a persuasive speech by Michael Moore, and
  violates some of the rules of the documentary form, but
  was an excellent film despite that. This Documentary
  covers all sides. Presents evidence captured, but never
  shown by our media, never discussed in our newspapers,
  and wholly ignored by Colin Powell and the State
  Department.

  Do they tell us that the man that assumed power of
  Venezuela, the man that had met with President Bush and
  was involved at the top of the Oil industry in
  Venezuela, that his first act as the 'democratic' self-
  appointed leader of Venezuela was to announce on
  television that he was disbanding the Grand Assembly
  (Congress), the Supreme Court, the Attorney General and
  all the other bastions of a Democracy, replacing it with
  a Dictatorship? This was the man that just days before
  was in the White House of our country, discussing the
  future of Venezuela with OUR current President. This
  same man is now living in Florida.

  If you ever saw WACO: RULES OF ENGAGEMENT, this- this is
  far more clear, because imagine if one of the
  documentary people or two, had been inside the Branch
  Davidian Compound. Imagine it was all being laid bare-
  and everything we were led to believe was false for a
  fact, not supposition, but actual real tangible
  evidence.

  And once you see this Documentary, which has been shown
  in other countries- ahem- Looking at Colin Powell and
  trusting him, well, it just kind of becomes impossible.
  Believing anyone from this administration, it's just too
  much to ask. What they attempted to do in Venezuela is a
  shame. And any true American that watches this
  documentary and watches the case as both sides live it-
  you just. You can not imagine how disgusting it makes
  one feel. We're not about colonialism, that's why we
  founded the United States of America, was to fight that,
  right? To get free of powers that tax and control our
  country without elected representation, yet here- here
  clearly we are defying EVERYTHING on which this country
  was founded. Colin Powell has the audacity in this
  documentary to say that he does not believe President
  Chavez has the best interests of the United States as
  his most important Priority. God forbid he care for his
  own country first! All of this was for the sake of oil.
  Back in the days of the original King George, it had to
  do with spices, hemp, cotton and foods.

  If you get a chance to see this film, do not miss it.
  Not one person in the 200 or so I've talked to today
  that have seen it have called it anything less than
  brilliant. Even the conservative silver-haired lady I
  talked to today, who was Republican felt disgusted by
  what she saw. Unfortunately, THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE
  TELEVISED isn't bloody likely of being televised in this
  country anytime soon, so watch your local film festivals
  and pray that one day we'll be in a country that will
  put a documentary like this in theaters everywhere.
  Filmmaking rarely does the three magic things that film
  can do. Inform, Persuade and ENTERTAIN. This movie does!