PROTECT THE RIGHT TO LABEL GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOODS

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: ge-food-alert-1 at iatp.org [mailto:ge-food-alert-1 at iatp.org]
Inviato: mercoledì 24 ottobre 2001 20.20
A: smaini at agrsci.unibo.it
Oggetto: PROTECT THE RIGHT TO LABEL GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOODS

GE Food Alert 1 (ge-food-alert-1 at iatp.org)    Posted: 10/24/2001  By
jvogt at iatp.org

PROTECT THE RIGHT TO LABEL GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOODS

STOP THE CONGRESS FAST TRACK FROM GIVING IT THE WACK!

The House Ways and Means Committee approved a revived Fast Track
international trade bill (H.R. 3005) Oct. 9 on a near party-line
vote.  H.R. 3005 contains a provision to require that U.S. trade
negotiators seek a ban on labeling of genetically engineered
ingredients (p. 14). This would set up consumer labeling as an
"unjustifiable trade
restriction" - especially regarding genetically modified
foods-threatening many consumer labeling regulations with being
overturned through trade challenges. Under this bill our efforts to
label GE foods will become illegal barriers to trade!

The floor vote on this version of Fast Track legislation is expected in the
next couple of weeks, but it could occur as soon as this week. We cannot
allow this sneak attack on our right to know about genetically engineered
foods to go unchallenged.

TAKE ACTION!
CALL YOUR REP. BY WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 24th!

THE AFL-CIO HAS A FAST TRACK HOTLINE THAT WILL CONNNECT YOU TO YOUR
MEMBER OF CONGRESS FOR FREE.

CALL 1-800-393-1082 and tell your representative to oppose H.R.
3005 and its provision to seek a ban on labeling of genetically
engineered foods.

OR

CALL THE CAPITOL SWITCH BOARD at: 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to
your representative.

 - Alert prepared by Friends of the Earth -
For more information on genetically engineered foods, see
www.foe.org/safefood
To get involved locally in our campaigns, email: larcher at foe.org.
Friends of the Earth is a member of Genetically Engineered Food Alert
www.gefoodalert.org