inquinamento da sostanze tossiche in Serbia

'No one will be able to prove what killed us'

Chemicals released after Nato bombing infect Serbian city

Paul Brown, environment correspondent
Tuesday May 15, 2001
The Guardian

When the Nato bombs started to fall on Pancevo's petro-chemical
factory 10 miles east of Belgrade next to the Danube in Serbia, the
locals thought it must be a mistake. Surely even in war no one would
risk releasing deadly chemicals less than two miles from a city.

But as the attacks continued, it was clear that they were being aimed
at storage tanks that contained the raw materials for PVC.

As the air strikes continued, heroic efforts were made to load them
into rail tankers to save the civilian population. But it was all in
vain - 80,000 people were exposed to a dose of one chemical 10,500
times above the safe limit.

At the height of the Nato offensive, the bombing of Pancevo was seen
as a victory against a strategic target because of its spectacularly
burning oil refinery, with only a footnote of regret about the
contamination of the canal that feeds into the Danube.

But two years on, the long-term damages caused to the city, its
people and their water supply are only now being fully realised and
dealt with. The UN Environment Programme (Unep) and the city are
desperately trying to scrape together the funds to save the area from
continuing environmental disaster.

Already, 100 workers who tried to stop the leaks and limit the damage
of chemicals flowing into the ground have been declared permanent
invalids because of lung damage. A number of young men have had
unexplained heart trouble.

Two years after the bombing, despite two winters of heavy rains to
cleanse the soil, still nothing grows around the petrochemical works.
The earth has patches of dark- green algae in puddles but no other
life; elsewhere, the countryside is alive with verdant growth.

The newly elected mayor of Pancevo, Borislava Kruska, a quietly
spoken woman, says by the time Nato experts had arrived months after
the bombing, the chemicals on the surface, which were causing air
pollution, had evaporated. Most of the chemicals, however, remain
just below the surface.

"It is what I call the perfect murder. Nobody will be able to prove
what killed us," she said. Unep says a saturation level of one part
per million of vinyl chloride monomer (VCM) in the air is enough to
trigger cancer of the liver. It can cause brain tumours and attacks
the nervous system.

In Pancevo, the saturation reached 10,500 parts per million.

It is too early to see the effects on the human population, but there
are alarming signs that something is wrong: A rare bone cancer,
previously restricted to very old dogs, has being found in abundance
in puppies and adolescents.

And VCM is not the mayor's only worry. Another PVC chemical, 1,2-
dichloroethane (EDC), is highly toxic and particularly attacks the
liver and kidneys. At least 2,000 tonnes of it leaked into the ground
after the bombing.

Eating any root vegetables in Pancevo has been banned and tests show
that EDC has penetrated deep into the ground, close to the city's
water supply.

A group of experts from several countries is trying to work out how
to recover the EDC before it reaches the water table. An estimated
130,000 people use the local water pumped from the ground.

Unep estimates that the pollution problem will cost £14m to fix; so
far it has raised £4.5m from the international community that bombed
Pancevo. Holes will need to be drilled to pump out the contaminated
water before it reaches the water table.

The canal, which runs from the bombed water-treatment plant at the
factory to the Danube, needs £4m worth of dredging to prevent the
contaminants leaking into Europe's longest river.

Some urgent remedial measures have been taken. In one area, Unep has
removed 80cm (31.5in) of topsoil to collect most of the 8 tonnes of
mercury released by bombing.

The technical manager of the factory, Dmitar Krivokuca, who is
working with UNEP on the clean up, said: "There has been some
poisoning of our workers and people are in jeopardy the whole time,
but we have to clear this up if we are going to restart and
provide employment."

The neighbouring oil refinery has started work again providing the
first jobs in an area that had 10,000 industrial workers before the
war.

The smell of sulphur now dominates from the cheap Russian oil being
processed, but filters will be fitted when funds permit.

The mayor said: "We are not pretending that before the bombing the
area was not polluted, it was, but not on this scale.

"As we go on living and dying in Pancevo, we will never be able to
prove what is killing us. No population has been exposed to this
level of these chemicals anywhere in the world. What we need is help
to stop it getting worse."