UK: commissione parlamentare su OGM

(dal sito dell' UNIDO http://www.binas.unido.org)

una commissione parlamentare invita il governo a rivedere la
regolamentazione sulle colture modificate geneticamente.

News: May, 2000

                         UK Environment Committee Critcizes Government
on GM Foods

                         The UK government has failed to tackle the
issue of genetically modified foods, according to its
                         Environmental Audit Committee. The committee,
made up of members of all parties, says that
                         commercial plantings GM crops should be banned
until trails prove no environmental dangers exist.
                         The committee was worried by the prospect of
contamination of neighbouring fields by GM crops.

                         Conservative MP John Horam, who chairs the
committee, said: "The government has been slow to
                         respond and it now needs to take a firm grip."

                         Cabinet Office Minister Jack Cunningham
welcomed the report, saying he was glad it had arrived in
                         time for consideration before the government
reviewed regulations on GM foods.

                         "We have no desire to 'merely tinker' with the
regulatory system. Our objective is to ensure that the
                         system is fit for the future. It must continue
to enable us to protect human health and the environment,
                         whilst capturing the benefits of this exciting
and fast moving technology. And it must be transparent.
                         In developing a new framework for regulating
biotechnology, we are listening carefully to all the views
                         expressed to us."

                         He continued: "We are committed to ensuring
that any cultivation of GM crops in
                         agriculture will not put unacceptable pressure
on our countryside and wildlife and prejudice the goal of

      maintaining and where possible enhancing
farmland biodiversity."

                         Friends of the Earth said that the Government
should recognise that people do not want GM
                         technology and "introduce policies to protect
people and the environment from its potential impacts,
                         and help British agriculture to reap the
increasing commercial benefits of GM-free food." It urges a
                         freeze on trials.