[Disarmo] Fwd: Yes to Peace, No to NATO

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: RootsAction Team <info at rootsaction.org>
Date: lun 25 feb 2019, 16:31
Subject: Yes to Peace, No to NATO
To: <eliopaxnowar at gmail.com>

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) is coming to Washington, DC to mark 70 years since its creation. Our friends at World BEYOND War are throwing a peace festival on April 3 to unwelcome their arrival. RSVP.

Munch on vegan food, make art, boogie down to live music, and hear from keynote speakers like comedian & activist Lee Camp, with nonviolence protest training provided by Nadine Bloch of Beautiful Trouble, in preparation for demonstrations the next day, April 4, outside NATO's meeting. Reserve your spot.

Featuring Brittany DeBarros of the Poor People’s Campaign, Serbian-British artist Ana Maria Gower, Karlene Griffiths Sekou of Black Lives Matter, former U.S. Marine officer Matthew Hoh who resigned in opposition to the Afghan War, Maria Zakharova from Crimea, Lucas Wirl from Germany, and Hoor Arifi from Afghanistan, with music by Eric Colville and Ryan Harvey.

Why NO to NATO? NATO is the largest military alliance in the world with the largest military spending (roughly three-quarters of the world total) and nuclear stockpiles. While claiming to “preserve peace,” NATO has violated international law and bombed Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Serbia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Libya.

Our Message: War is a leading contributor to the growing global refugee and climate crises, the basis for the militarization of the police, a top cause of the erosion of civil liberties, and a catalyst for racism and bigotry.
Instead of celebrating NATO’s 70th anniversary, we’re calling for the abolition of NATO, the redirection of resources to human and environmental needs, and the demilitarization of our cultures. We’re celebrating peace this April, in commemoration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech against war on April 4, 1967, as well as his assassination on April 4, 1968.

Join us and the World BEYOND War crew as we converge on Washington, DC to say No to NATO, Yes to Peace.

For questions or more info, contact Greta at greta at worldbeyondwar.org.

-- The RootsAction.org Team

P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Frances Fox Piven, Lila Garrett, Phil Donahue, Sonali Kolhatkar, and many others.

www.RootsAction.org

Donate button Facebook button Twitter button

Unsubscribe

empowered by Salsa