[Disarmo] Fwd: Il 20.09 il Bando Armi Nucleari sarà firmato da 43 Paesi, altri 4 entro il 24. Ne servono almeno 50

From: Beatrice Fihn <beatrice at icanw.org>
Date: 2017-09-18 19:21 GMT+02:00
Subject: [ICAN] Update on signing ceremony
To: ICAN Campaigners <ican-campaigners@googlegroups.com>

Hi everyone,
Two days to go to the signing!!!!!

Signing ceremony
I wanted to share the list of states that are expected to sign on Wednesday here below. Right now, the UN has received formal notification from 43 states that will sign during the ceremony. A few more states are signing in the following three days, due to foreign ministers arriving later in the week, so we are reasonably confident that we’ll get to 50 states before the week is over.

But some countries might still show up on the 20th and sign it, so we’re doing last minute phone calls and outreach to governments to make sure we do all we can to get states there. If your government voted yes to the treaty on the 7th and IS NOT on this list, make sure to call your foreign ministry and urge them to sign the treaty on Wednesday.

The signing will start on 8.00 am EST, and it will be webcast. I hope you all will be tuning in, to see governments sign the treaty you’ve worked so hard for the last few years. This really would not have happened without ICAN’s partner organisations working so hard for the last years.

Media
Don’t forget to remind your media contacts about the signing. I have attached the press briefing, the draft op-ed and the talking points builder here again. Please use them and don’t forget to share any coverage, op-eds etc you manage to get on the campaigners list. We’d LOVE to share it on our social media channels, so please let us know what you are doing.

I will send out a press release tomorrow, so you can translate or adapt as you like for Wednesday. Our press release will go out Tuesday morning EST, so journalists can prepare stories for Wednesday. But you know your national context best, so do what makes most sense for you.

Don’t forget that Donald Trump is delivering his speech at the UN tomorrow (tuesday) sometime between 09:00-10:00 EST. It could be good to let journalists know today that you are willing to comment on anything nuclear weapons related in his speech, which could give you an opportunity to plug the ban treaty and the signing ceremony.

Social media
Keep tweeting to your governments, give cred to those that will sign, urge those that aren’t yet signing to do so. Use #nuclearban on everything so the whole campaign can amplify each other. Use images and graphics as much as possible, and tag @nuclearban to make sure we can re-tweet! Once the signing start on Wednesday, please feel free to congratulate you

Photos
Are you doing actions this week? Don’t forget to send us photos (or tag @nuclearban if you share them on social media) so we can promote the great stuff that happens around the world. Due to crazy security at the UN (thanks a lot, Trump!) we are not having the easiest time with getting a photographer into the signing ceremony. We will be using a freelance photographer up at the media gallery and the UN official photos from the signing, and we will share these with you immediately as they become available. We’ll also take some iPhone photos during the signing, to have instant photos of the signing the second the person has put its signature on the paper, but don’t have any high expectations on those please. The high-res photos will take a few hours at least.

Articles on ICAN website
We are always eager to highlight what is going on around the world regarding the ban treaty. This past week, we’ve published three articles on events that have happened:

We are happy to publish similar articles to highlight progress and developments in your national context. If you have something that has happened in your national context, feel free to send us the article and a high-res image to go with it, and we can try to publish it. The articles should be about 400 words long and in a news story format. So no op-ed style articles, but short, factual articles in the way a newspaper would write it, and put any analysis and opinions in quotes by you. If you are uncertain if an article would fit, please send us your ideas first and we can have a look.

Let me know if you need anything additional and I hope you all are as excited as I am to see our treaty open for signature in just two days!!!

Beatrice

States signing on 20th (43)
  1. Algeria
  2. Austria