[Disarmo] US Defence Secretary Mattis warned Sweden not to sign anti-nuclear weapons treaty

From: john hallam <jhjohnhallam at gmail.com>
Date: August 31, 2017 at 5:42:08 AM EDT
To: Nuclearnews Group <nuclear-news-list@googlegroups.com>
Subject: US Defence Secretary Mattis warned Sweden not to sign anti-nuclear weapons treaty: report

US Defence Secretary Mattis warned Sweden not to sign anti-nuclear
weapons treaty: report

https://www.thelocal.se/20170830/us-defence-secretary-mattis-warned-sweden-not-to-sign-anti-nuclear-weapons-treaty-report

The Local
news at thelocal.se
16:57 CEST+02:00
unjames mattispeter hultqvistmargot wallströmnuclear weaponsusunited states

US Defence Secretary James Mattis. Photo: Jacquelyn Martin/AP
US Secretary of Defence James Mattis sent a letter to Swedish Defence
Minister Peter Hultqvist warning the Nordic nation of a negative
impact on relations should they sign an anti-nuclear bomb treaty,
according to a report in a Swedish newspaper.

Svenska Dagbladet (SvD) reports that the letter was registered at the
Swedish Department of Defence on Tuesday, and regards Sweden's
intention to sign a treaty banning nuclear bombs when it opens for
signatures from any UN member state in September.

The treaty was first backed by 122 countries including Sweden in a
vote at the New York UN headquarters in July, but countries with
nuclear arms boycotted the conference, as did some of their allies.

READ ALSO: Sweden to vote in favour of nuclear weapons ban

According to SvD, Mattis warned in the letter that Swedish-American
defence cooperation would be hampered if Sweden signs the treaty.

"The implication is that if the government signs the convention
banning nuclear weapons, including on Swedish territory, it would
impact both defence cooperation during peace time and the possibility
of military support from the USA in a crisis situation," SvD claims.

Earlier in August, Sweden’s Foreign Minister Margot Wallström wrote
that the government intended on signing the treaty, and "Sweden’s vote
in favour was entirely in line with our disarmament policy as part of
a broader security policy".

"Our initial assessment shows that our bilateral and multilateral
defence cooperation, including our partnership with Nato and
cooperation with the United States, France and the United Kingdom, can
continue," she added.