Digest Number 6109 (Fwd) [b-antinato]

------- Segue messaggio inoltrato -------

Data invio:       	28 Feb 2013 22:23:40 -0000
Da:               	b-antinato
Oggetto:          	[b-antinato] Digest Number 6109

There are 5 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Estonia Offers Air Base To U.S., NATO For Anti-Russian Patrols
    From: Rick Rozoff

2. U.S.-EU-NATO: John Kerry's Trilateral Banquet In Rome
    From: Rick Rozoff

3. Interview: U.S. Replicates Afghan Model In Middle East, North Africa
    From: Rick Rozoff

4. Kathy Kelly interview on Afghan war
    From: Rick Rozoff

5. NATO Begins Largest Anti-Submarine War Games In Mediterranean
    From: Rick Rozoff

Messages
1. Estonia Offers Air Base To U.S., NATO For Anti-Russian Patrols
    Posted by: "Rick Rozoff" rwrozoff at yahoo.com rwrozoff
    Date: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:02 am ((PST))

http://news.err.ee/politics/a6d06bfe-7cf4-48e8-ba48-7442ce9f4607

Estonian Public Broadcasting
February 28, 2013

Paet and Kerry Talk Air Bases, Cyber Defense

====

NATO Baltic Buildup Threatens Belarus And Russia:
http://rickrozoff.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/nato-baltic-buildup-threatens-belarus-and-russia/

====

In his first meeting with newly-appointed US Secretary of State John Kerry on Wednesday,
Estonian Foreign Minister Urmas Paet raised a range of bilateral issues from development
aid cooperation to defense.

The Rome meeting, in which the foreign ministers of Latvia and Lithuania also took part,
was undertaken as part of Kerry's 11-day tour of Europe and the Middle East - his first
junket to the region since taking office on February 1.

During the meeting, Paet expressed Estonia's desire to continue defense cooperation with
the US, both bilaterally and within the framework of NATO. Speaking about NATO's Baltic
air policing mission, Paet suggested that one of its rotations be conducted from Estonia's
Ämari air base starting from 2015, the Foreign Ministry said in a statement. Since it began
in 2004, the mission has been conducted from Lithuania.

Speaking on Afghanistan, Paet said that the goal of handing over security responsibility to
local troops by the middle of this year was realistic, as they already conduct 80 percent of
the operations. He added that Estonia has decided to increase development aid to
Afghanistan and send more civilian experts for police and NATO training.

Paet told his US counterpart that Estonia was interested in continuing cooperation on cyber
defense, and suggested that the countries put down their plans for bilateral cooperation on
cyber development in a joint declaration.

The Estonian foreign minister also noted the successful joint development cooperation
projects that the countries had undertaken in Belarus and Moldova, and suggested that such
projects be extended to Central Asia.

Paet invited Kerry to take part in a meeting of the Internet Freedom Coalition - a group
devoted to keeping the internet free of government interference - to take place in Tallinn in
2014.
==

Messages in this topic (1)
    Date: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:08 am ((PST))

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/SID-7B1C9790-91F98676/natolive/news_98868.htm

North Atlantic Treaty Organization
February 27, 2013

NATO Secretary General holds talks with US Secretary of State John Kerry

NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen held talks with the new US Secretary of
State John Kerry on Wednesday 27 February in Rome in the margins of a Transatlantic
Dinner on global issues. âEURoeToday we discussed many key issues on NATOâEURTMs agenda.
These include the progress of our mission in Afghanistan, maintaining NATO's robust
partnerships, and a fair burden-sharing in our Alliance,⬠the Secretary General said.

Mr. Fogh Rasmussen said he was delighted that Secretary Kerry chose Europe for his first
official trip. âEURoeWe have often met in Washington, so IâEURTMm delighted that heâEURTMs
chosen Europe for his first trip abroad. And IâEURTMm looking forward to working with him
closely in the future,âEUR he said.

The bilateral meeting took place just ahead of a âEURoeDinner in Transatlantic FormatâEUR
hosted by the Italian Foreign Minister, Giulio Terzi, which included foreign ministers from
NATO and European Union nations, as well as the EU High Representative for Foreign
Affairs and Security Policy Catherine Ashton.

The Secretary General thanked the Italian Foreign Minister for hosting the event. âEURoeWe
face many challenges and we have a lot of work to do,âEUR said Mr. Fogh Rasmussen.
âEURoeEurope and North America are separated by an ocean but are united by core values
and interests because our partnership is vital for our own security and the security of the
world.â¬
==

Messages in this topic (1)
    Date: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:57 am ((PST))

http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_02_28/I-salute-the-former-Soviet-Union-interview-with-Dr-
Zalmay-Gulzad/

Voice of Russia
February 28, 2013

'I salute the former Soviet Union' - interview with Dr. Zalmay Gulzad
John Robles

Audio at URL above

The former Soviet Union built everything in Afghanistan including the bases which the U.S.
is now occupying. The United States is supporting radical Islamic groups, including Chechen
terrorists, to destabilize countries they are targetting. Syria is the most progressive secular
country in the Muslim world yet is being attacked by the West and all of the U.S. actions are
back-firing on them; they believe that quick victory is the proper route. They are worng. All
of theses issues were discussed in an interview with Dr. Zalmay Gulzad, an Afghan native
who teaches political science at Harold Washington College in Chicago.

Part 1:
http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_02_23/The-USSR-brought-peace-the-USA-brought-war-
interview-with-Dr-Gulzad/

Gulzad: The point is that what the United States is doing and NATO is doing: they want to
prolong this war with the collaboration of the Pakistani army. The very government in
Pakistan is a joke, it's silly, is nothing. The decisions are made by the military; the military is
with the United States.

Robles: What are the reasons, I mean, why does the US want to be in Afghanistan and in
your opinion, resources or what?

Gulzad: It is very important geopolitically and I will tell you why. Afghanistan is now very
poor and I salute the Soviet people because the Soviet Union (the former Soviet Union)
because Afghanistan has so many resources and now they have revealed how many
resources they have. The Soviet Union did not take any of it. They did not take advantage
of it, because we have petroleum, we have copper, we have so many things now.

They gave the biggest copper mine to the Chinese now, and in central Afghanistan they
have steel and all that kind of stuff.

So anyway, the reason that United States wants to prolong this war and stay there is
because, first of all, we have a 150-mile border with China. Then we are very close to
Russia, if you pass Tajikistan, itâEURTMs Russia, and then we have Iran, then we have the
Persian Gulf, so Afghanistan is a very important.

Now IâEURTMll tell you that these bases that United States is using today which were made by
the Soviet Union. One in the north of Afghanistan is an American base now. Shindand, the
Soviet Union built it, it is bordering with Iran and Pakistan. Then Kandahar, then you have
Bagram, which is north of Kabul, now they are building a base almoseverywhere
including Badakhshan. Badakhshan is not too far from Tajikistan and the Chinese border.

And also the United States is supporting the Uyghur Muslim group and Tajiks in Xinjiang
Province, which is bordering Afghanistan. They are making trouble for the Chinese Muslims.
And also the United States is supporting the Chechen group in Russia.

Robles: Which group did you say in Russia?

Gulzad: In Russia, the Chechen group.

Robles: Sure.

Gulzad: And also in China they are supporting Uyghur and Tadjiks.

Robles: I think they would support any group that will destabilize or weaken any country that
they want to attack, I think.

Gulzad: Absolutely. My point is that when they are saying that the Cold War is over, they
were anti-communists. What the hell? I mean today Russia is not a Communist country.

Robles: No, we are not.

Gulzad: But the point is that United States has a phobia and they want to be the imperialist
power. What they are doing with the world today, my God!!

I always discuss with my colleagues here that: Okay, how many countries did the Soviet
Union invade? How many countries has the United States invaded in our lifetime? How
many wars? Just recently: Panama, Nicaragua, Afghanistan, Iraq, for no reason, for no
reason.

Robles: Iraq, Iran, the list goes on and on.

Gulzad: In Syria, they want to know, why doesnâEURTMt the United States want to - if they are
such champions of human rights and democracy - why donâEURTMt they say anything about
Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, all these kingdoms?

Robles: Sure.

Gulzad: Why Syria? Syria is a more secular, more progressive country.

Robles: I donâEURTMt understandâEUR¦ Okay Syria; they were just attacked, about 50 people, this
was yesterday, 53 people are said to have been dead by an al-Qaeda group.

Israel is bombing Syria, and the United States, so we have Israel, al-Qaeda and the United
States working together (Working together right?) to destroy Syria. DoesnâEURTMt that seem
strange?

Gulzad: Absolutely. And how itâEURTMs backfiring!! Let me tell you something. Just a few
months ago I gave an interview on American television here, on the so-called Arab Spring.
So whatâEURTMs happened? I told them, the United States is not supporting the progressive
group, intellectuals. They donâEURTMt have to be left group but just regular progressive,
secular group

What they did, they supported the most radical Islamist group, the problem was Mubarak,
because they were sick and tired of Mubarak. They wanted to find a new puppet. What
happened is it backfired. Guess what? Who won? The Islamic fundamentalists.

In Libya they did the same thing because they are too stupid here because they think that
quick victory will bring them happiness and glory. So, what they did in Libya. they did the
same thing. Guess who took over? Islamic fundamentalists.

This is what happened in Tunisia: Islamic fundamentalists.

Right now, yesterday, the Congress of the United States decided to give millions of dollars
to the radicals of Syria. They are not giving it to intellectuals, to secular groups, though they
claim that they are fighting for democracy and secular regimes. But they are giving it to
them because they want to get overthrough...

A lot of this is backfiring, so thre, four countries backfired on them. And then after Syria,
mark my words for it, it is Iran. ItâEURTMs not that I love Iran, Iran regime is a fascist regime,
but my point is that the United States will go there because if you look from Morocco to Iran,
to Afghanistan, to India and everything, guess what? All of them are pro-American except
Iran and Syria. These two places are not puppets.

And the expansion of NATO, against who? Now the Warsaw Pact is not there! Against who?
Why do you expand this? You took Saakashvili from Chicago. Do you know Saakashvili is
from Chicago, he was a lawyer here, they picked him up and made him the president of
Georgia, and now they find another puppet. Do you know that KarzaiâEURTMs brother had a
restaurant in Chicago? They picked him up from Chicago and gave him the same thing.

Robles: Bashar Assad was a dentist in London. I couldnâEURTMt understand why they went
against him.

Gulzad: It is amazing, isnâEURTMt it? If you look at Lithuania, so many places, look at Ukraine,
the guy who was the former president of Ukraine, his wife was from the United States, from
Chicago.

Robles: IâEURTMve talked to many people and it seems like most of the world is being
controlled by some part of Chicago for some reason.

Gulzad: Chicago is the mafia city. It is just amazing.

Robles: Now listen, here is a hypothetical that I donâEURTMt think anyone has ever talked
about, butâEUR¦ You say the plan is backfiring. We see, everybody sees: ok, they are funding
these terrorists, they are promoting terrorism actually. They are creating more terrorists.
They are financing radical-Islamic-violent-people, right?

Gulzad: Absolutely.

Robles: Is it possible that that is what they want?

Gulzad: Well, they want to destabilize their enemy. The only way you can weaken a country
and society is with a civil war, and how you do it? Like for example in China, you promote
Tibet, you promote the idea of Islamist Uyghur and Tajiks, itâEURTMs one problem.

You go to Russia, make Russia very busy with the terrorists through Georgia, which
Sakashvili was helping. From Georgia you head then to Dagestan, and the Chechen area
and you could create problems for Russia. That is the only way, see?

And then you make excuses that I am staying in Afghanistan because the Taliban are still in
power and al-Qaeda is still alive.

Robles: That is what I am talking about. And then they can continue the endless War on
Terror because they keep creating more and more terrorists themselves.

Gulzad: You know there is a theory, the weak countries in the world, what they do is they
are diverting attention from the inside misery of the people, from internal forces because
inside it is empty and miserable and worse economy, so what they do they tell the people
that outside is going to...

ThatâEURTMs the history of United States, think about it. Castro is going to attack Florida. The
Soviet Union is going to come and get us. The Russians are coming. Okay? Then Saddam
Hussein is going to come and invade the United States. Then they created this man, this
stupid man with a beard called Osama, Bin Laden, okay?

So, what they did, they made Americans wave the flag! âEURoeWe are Americans!âEUR And the
became very patriotic and all this. So, they continue finding these external unbelievable
forces.

And their motive is this: as I said before and just recently I gave another interview, that what
they want to do is they want to stay in Afghanistan. They want to stay in Iraq. Permanently.
They will stay in Afghanistan because of Russia, because of China, because of the BRICs:
China, India, and Russia, in this part of the world.

Plus they donâEURTMt like Iran, so they want to destabilize Iran through Afghanistan. These are
all excuses.

Where are these terrorists? If you want to finish this thing, tomorrow you tell Pakistan that:
âEURoeYou will not get a penny.âEUR Pakistan is a very poor country, and it is all over, give me
these terrorist groups, one by one.

You were listening to an interview with Dr. Zalmay Gulzad, a Professor at Harold
Washington College in Chicago. Thanks for listening, and as always I wish you the best.
==

Messages in this topic (1)
    Date: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:55 am ((PST))

http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_02_28/The-US-built-Al-Qaeda-and-Osamas-encampments-
exclusive-interview-Kathy-Kelly/

Voice of Russia
February 28, 2013

The US built Al-Qaeda and Osama's encampments - exclusive interview Kathy Kelly
John Robles

Audio at URL aove

In Afghanistan any 15-30 year-old-male is a target for US "elimination", activists were
arrested and sent to prison in the US for attempting to deliver a letter to Whiteman Air Force
Base, where drone operations are conducted, stating why the United Nations believes drone
are illegal, war and killing people is profitable for war-profiteers and the US government
knew about war crimes and the stealing of US weapons by former Blackwater-XE Academy
but looks the other way. All of these matters and more were discussed in an interview with
three-time Nobel Peace Prize nominee Kathy Kelly, the co-coordinator for Voices for
Creative Non-Violence.

Part I:
http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_02_22/A-humanitarian-war-is-an-oxymoron-exclusive-interview-
with-Kathy-Kelly/

Robles: Do most Americans know, or is the âEURoeman-in-the-streetâEUR in the United States
right now, are they aware of the fact that al-Qaeda and the Taliban, and even Osama bin
Laden, they got their start in a large part thanks to the United States when they were fighting
against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan? Do Americans know that?

Kelly: Well, if they do itâEURTMs not because they heard it on the mainstream media; they
would have had to do some investigating. One of the reasons why initially the United States
knew where to bomb potential encampments for Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda in
Afghanistan was because the United States built them.

Robles: Recently there was this white paper came out justifying drone attacks on US
citizens and basically it says: âEURoe...anyone who is a senior...A US citizen who is a senior al-
Qaeda operative or associate...âEUR, back to al-Qaeda: how many American senior operatives
of al-Qaeda do you know in the world, or have you ever heard of, or known about?

Kelly: You know thereâEURTMre some real tragedies associated with that. There was a 16-year-
old boy who had gone to a conference in Pakistan and at the conference they had given the
youngsters cameras and said: âEURoeTry to - because we canâEURTMt get journalists into North
and South Waziristan, we canâEURTMt document whatâEURTMs happening but maybe you can,
and then+end the footage out.â¬

And he was targeted for assassination and killed. He wasnâEURTMt an American but al-Awlaki
of course was, and this means that people with no due process, with no judge, jury, no trial,
sometimes no charges whatsoever, people are targeted for assassination.

They actually say that if you are a young man between the ages of 15 and 30, you
potentially could be a figure that the United States could eliminate, without any consultation.
The president has a Tuesday morning meeting with about 100 people sometimes, on a
conference call, and then they draw up their list.

Robles: Medea Benjamin told me thatâEURTMs called Terror Tuesdays, is that correct?

Kelly: Yes. She has done such a wonderful job. I hope people will read her book. And of
course she stays on top of these issues.

There are many people all across the country right now who are protesting drone warfare.
Our co-coordinator Brian Terrell is serving a six-month prison sentence because he crossed
the line at the Whiteman Air Force Base where they are operating drones. And he just
wanted to deliver a letter with Mark Kenney who served four months in prison for the same
action, and Ron Faust who was given five years probation. They had a letter showing the Air
Force, how it is that the United Nations believes that the usage of drones is a violation of
international law.

Robles: Before we started the interview you mentioned some peace volunteers in
Afghanistan. Can you tell our listeners a little bit about them and what theyâEURTMre doing?
And some of the things you are doing on your trips to Afghanistan?

Kelly: Well, a group of youngsters have decided that they want to live without wars. They
are not interested in revenge and retaliation, even though some of them lost their fathers,
their brothers, uncles. Even though theyâEURTMve been among those displaced by the war.

Young Abdullah, when he was just a toddler had to be held over an open flame so that they
could thaw out his body when they lived in a wretched refugee camp.

But these kids - I shouldnâEURTMt say kids - these young men and women have decided that it
is in their best interests by far to try to overcome ethnic divisions. So, the young men living
together inter-ethnically and every morning they welcome seamstresses and students from
different tribes and backgrounds and ethnic groups to come into their home, and some a
heading to an English class and some are part of seamstress cooperative. And they
delivered 2,000 very heavy quilts (they⬢re called duvets) to the neediest of families, and
they fanned out up the mountainside and into the refugee camps to find out, where these
duvets would most be needed.

The women seamstresses made them: they came every day and collected materials and
then theyâEURTMd send their little kids with wheelbarrows bringing back the finished duvets.
And it is a very astounding project to me.

All the duvets were delivered free of charge and the women were paid a meager salary. And
it was international, through VoicesâEURTM outreach, that paid for the materials and for this
meager salary.

So we see small microcosmic examples of people wanting to work together to alleviate
suffering, to build a better world. I find it so hopeful when I go to Afghanistan, but IâEURTMll tell
you itâEURTMs also really cold, and the harsh winters are hard even if you are in a room with a
wood-burning or coal-burning stove, and people have respiratory diseases all across the
country.

The conditions are very, very hard because the infrastructure is so awful. I mean the
electricity goes out and your water might be dependent on a well linked to the electricity,
and then you are without water. And you know, thatâEURTMs how people get cholera; they
canâEURTMt flush down their own wastes.

Robles: Who is causing all this suffering in your opinion?

Kelly: Well, I do want to remind us that the United States has been spending $2 billion a
week, much of it lining the pockets of corrupt warlords. $2 billion a week on its military
presence, while right across the street from some of the military bases there are sprawling
refugee camps.

So, I think any time the US public wages a war of choice and chooses as its target civilians
who are living in one of the poorest countries in the world, then I think we have to do with
the cause of a great deal of suffering. We may not know it, but we are not innocent.

Robles: $2 billion a week. How many years has it been, over 12 years now? YouâEURTMd think
that every single Afghan person would be living in a mansion driving a Bentley for that
much money.

Kelly: Yes, of course there are people who have ammassed huge fortunes, and before we
point fingers at Afghans who have, through corruption amassed fortunes, we should look at
the war profiteers and major US companies in the United States and the universities that
take their contracts and the faith-based communities that look the other way and the media
people that refuse to tell the story. So, there is plenty of blame to go around, and there are
plenty of other countries that have fought their wars within Afghanistan.

Pakistan and Iran are fighting proxy wars as we speak today, and in many ways there are
Cold War competitions going on between the United States and China, the United States
and Russia, and all of those could be solved through negotiation and dialogue and coming
to our senses, but instead people like to continue these wars because there is profitability in
killing people.

Robles: You talked about war profiteers. Can you tell us a little bit, because we are almost
out of time, about the former Blackwater who was then XE, and are now called Academy I
believe?

Kelly: This is a group of mercenaries. They are people who have contracted themselves out
at great profit. I mean, the going rate for the high-end security contractors is a salary of
$129,000 a year, first $89,000 of it tax free. And uh, theyâEURTMre adapted Special Forces
Operations, and Academy, the new Blackwater incarnation I suppose, is building Camp
Integrity on 10 acres of land just outside of Kabul which will train people in Special Forces
Operations.

They got the contract from the United States government, even though the US Government
certainly knew that their antecedents in Blackwater had been convicted of killing Afghan
civilians and also allegedly killing Iraqi civilians, in Tahrir Square and also of stealing
weapons from the United States military, but they must have fantastic inner connections to
keep getting these contracts.

Robles: Before they changed their name to XE they were being investigated for war crimes
in Iraq. What percentage would you say there are of private mercenaries and contractors in
Afghanistan? And are those counted in any way when the US government talks about a
drawdown or a withdrawal of forces?

Kelly: You know, it is so hard to learn that information. I honestly donâEURTMt know. You
donâEURTMt see Westerners at all in the neighborhood where I am, when IâEURTMm moving
around the city. ItâEURTMs odd because when you are in the airports you see plenty of
Westerners and most of them seem to be connected to some kind of military or security
group. But I don⬢t have any numbers.

I think that also the CIA must have many, many operatives and they donâEURTMt have to give
that kind of information out, but it is a good thing to keep exploring and trying to better
understand. At one point there were as many security contractors in Iraq as there were US
military, and the same could be true for Afghanistan.

Robles: Last point, this training base they are building, I was going to ask, is this supposedly
to train Afghan peacekeeping forces or Afghan security services?

Kelly: I certainly wouldnâEURTMt call it peacekeeping. I think that would be euphemistic.

Robles: Yeah sure!

Kelly: The different versions of Afghan armed troops are staggering in their number; there is
the Afghan local police and the Afghan National Security Force, youâEURTMve got special
operations now being trained amongst quite a few different military branches. So, it is not
certain that the more armaments, the more weapons that flow into the country the more
rage that is being felt between different ethnic groups, the more of a prescription for civil
war there is, and so it is very alarming to+ee more sophisticated weaponry coming in and
people being trained, to train their weapons on their own people.

Robles: Ok, thank you very Kathy. Unfortunately we are out of time. I really appreciate you
speaking with me.

Kelly: Thank you!

This is John Robles you were listening to an interview with Kathy Kelly the co-coordinator
for Voices for Creative Nonviolence. Thanks for listening, and I wish you the best.
==

Messages in this topic (1)
    Date: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:04 pm ((PST))

http://www.eucom.mil/article/24669/nato-allies-participate-in-proud-manta

U.S. European Command
February 27, 2013

NATO allies participate in Proud Manta
U.S. 6th Fleet Public Affairs

AUGUSTA BAY, Sicily: Exercise Proud Manta 2013 (POMA 13), NATOâEURTMs largest anti-
submarine warfare exercise, began in the Ionian Sea, Feb. 23.

Participants in POMA 13 include four submarines, 16 aircraft and eight surface ships from
10 NATO nations, including the United States.

POMA is an annual at-sea exercise focused on training submarines, ships and aircraft in
their NATO Response Force (NRF) roles and missions, including anti-submarine warfare,
anti-surface warfare and precursor operations.

âEURoeWe are very excited to participate in NATOâEURTMs Proud Manta, the worldâEURTMs largest
annual anti-submarine warfare exercise,âEUR said Rear Adm. Frederick J. Roegge,
Commander Submarines, Allied Naval Forces South. âEURoeWhile the participants will have
the opportunity to exercise a wide range of tactical military objectives, the real vaõe of
Proud Manta is improving our ability twork together in a dynamienvironment.â¬

Training with other military forces enhances mutual awareness and maritime capability of
the partner nations. POMA 13 helps...interoperability among participating nations.

âEURoeOperating any ship, aircraft, or submarine in the maritime environment is never routine,
so itâEURTMs even more challenging to coordinate eight surface ships, 16 aircraft and four
submarines,âEUR said Rear Adm. Roegge....

U.S. 6th Fleet units participating in the exercise are the guided-missile destroyer USS Barry
(DDG 52), homeported in Norfolk, Va., and a P-3 aircraft from Patrol Squadron 4 out of
Honolulu, Hawaii.

Participating countries include Canada, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Norway, Spain,
Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States.

POMA 13 continues through Mar. 8.
==

Messages in this topic (1)

<*> Your email settings: