Da: Michael Briguglio
Data invio: sabato 1 dicembre 2001 5.35
Oggetto: [Alternattiva] [di-ve] AD says hosting of first nuclear warship
is "a failure of the Maltese Government

http://www.di-ve.com

Submarine HMS Superb in Malta by Charlot Zahra, di-ve news
(czahra at maltanet.net)

AD says hosting of first nuclear warship is "a failure of the Maltese
Government"
Dateline: 30th November, 2001
Time: 1000 CET

The United Kingdom submarine, HMS Superb, is on a short visit to Malta
following her involvement in operations in the Arabian Gulf.

She arrived in Malta on Tuesday, November 27, 2001, and will be staying
in the Grand Harbour till the following Monday, December 3.

HMS Superb is a Swiftsure Class submarine, commissioned in November
1976. Her displacement is 4,400 tons and she is 82 metres in length.

The submarine has a compliment of 116, including 13 officers. She is
commanded by Commander N. J. Hughes RN.

This will be the first visit by a submarine of this class to Malta. The
last visit to Malta by a UK submarine was in 1992.

AD SAYS SUPERB VISIT SHOWS GOVERNMENT’S FAILURE TO RESPECT ITS OWN
NUCLEAR-FREE ZONE POLICY

Meanwhile, Alternattiva Demokratika (AD) said in a statement that the
first hosting of nuclear powered warship in Malta is a “failure of the
Government to respect its own nuclear free zone policy".

"The Government was free to refuse to host the British nuclear powered
submarine Superb but failed to do so exposing the country to unnecessary
risks. Despite all safeguards, nuclear accidents are a possibility", AD
International Secretary Ralph Cassar said.

Alternattiva noted that in recent months, nuclear accidents had occurred
at the safest nuclear facilities, notably in Japan.

“Only a few weeks ago a Russian nuclear submarine was recovered from the
Baltic at enormous risk and expense and lately British nuclear
submarines have been taken out of service after developing internal
leaks”, the party statement said.

Mr. Cassar explained that "a fire on board a nuclear armed or powered
vessel could lead to widespread radioactive contamination. The
consequences to Malta and the Maltese would be the total loss of their
homeland, their culture and their continued existence as a nation".

"Alternattiva Demokratika demands that the Maltese Government exercise
it sovereign right to refuse to host nuclear armed or nuclear powered
vessels. Such a refusal would not affect our relations with friendly
countries which might think more highly of our Government if it was not
such an eternal pushover. Malta should be a nuclear free zone", the AD
International Secretary concluded.

ALTERNATTIVA DEMOKRATIKA - THE GREEN PARTY
"Nifs Gdid, Nifs Nadif"
For more information: http://www.alternattiva.org.mt
Post message: Alternattiva at yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  Alternattiva-subscribe at yahoogroups.com