Anti-nuclear action in Italy

Dear Friends,
1st October 2001 marks the 55th anniversary of the end of the Nuremberg
Trials, and the issuing of the Nuremberg principles which stated that
it is the duty of every citizen to prevent crimes against humanity and
crimes against peace.
The Nuclear Weapons Abolition Days Network (a working group of the
Abolition 2000 global campaign for the abolition of nuclear weapons) is
calling on groups around the world to take nonviolent direct action to
prevent nuclear war-crimes on 1st October.
As you may already know there are US nuclear weapons stored at two Air
bases in Italy (Aviano and Ghedi-Torre). More information on these
bases and the weapons can be found at
<http://www.motherearth.org/info/armament/ts-useur.htm#italy>. These
weapons are clearly in contravention of international humanitarian law,
as well as the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
We would like to encourage Italian groups working for peace, human
rights and environmental protection to organise a nonviolent direct
action or demonstration at either of these bases. There are already
nonviolent direct actions planned for 30th September or 1st October at
similar US nuclear weapons bases in England, Germany and the
Netherlands. It is likely that there will also be several more actions
around the world.
The Abolition Days network can provide support in a number of ways:
* We have produced a handbook that provides all the necessary
information for planning an anti-nuclear nonviolent direct action,
focussing particularly on the "Citizens War Crimes Inspection" model
that has been used succesfully over the past few years at many nuclear
related sites. This is available on the internet at
<http://www.motherearth.org/nuke/inspectbook>.
* We can spread the information about your action or demonstration to
international anti-nuclear activists.
* We can contact international media before and after the event, to
encourage them to report the story.
* By taking part in this international day of action you will know that
you are joining with several other groups around the world to send a
stronger message than a single action.

Please forward this message to any other groups or individuals who you
think might be interested, and feel free to get in touch if you are
thinking of planning something, or if you have any questions.

in peace,
David Heller

----
Nuclear Weapons Abolition Days