Isodarco Summer Course

>From Carlo.Schaerf at roma2.infn.itFri May  5 09:58:30 2000
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 09:50:19 -1300
From: Carlo Schaerf <Carlo.Schaerf at roma2.infn.it>
To: isodarco at roma2.infn.it
Subject: poster: Rovereto00

UNIVERSITY OF ROME "TOR VERGATA"
UNIVERSITY OF TRENTO
ISTITUTO TRENTINO DI CULTURA
OPERA CAMPANA DEI CADUTI - Rovereto
FORUM TRENTINO PER LA PACE - Provincia Autonoma di Trento
UNION OF SCIENTISTS FOR DISARMAMENT - Section of Trento

Italian Pugwash Group
ISODARCO    Founded in 1966
INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL ON DISARMAMENT AND RESEARCH ON CONFLICTS

21ST SUMMER COURSE

"NUCLEAR WEAPONS IN A VULNERABLE WORLD"

ROVERETO (TRENTO) - ITALY
9-18 AUGUST, 2000

ISODARCO has been organizing residential courses on disarmament and arms
control since 1966, and has already held twenty summer courses and
thirteen winter courses. The courses are intended for people already
having a professional interest in the problems of disarmament and
conflicts, or for those who would like to play a more active and
technically competent role in this field. The courses have an
interdisciplinary nature, and their subject matters extend from the
technical and scientific side of the problems to their sociological and
political implications.

>From scientific discoveries prior to World War II to the Manhattan
Project and the use of the atomic bomb over Hiroshima, the course will
take the participant through the Cold war Arms Race to the post Cold War
developments. How have these weapons of mass destruction affected
political systems, relations among nations? What are the prospects for
their control, management and elimination?

PRINCIPAL LECTURERS:

Evgeny Bazhanov
Diplomatic Academy - Russian Foreign Ministry, Moscow

Ron Bee
IGCC, University of California

Bruce Blair
President, Center for Defense Information, Washington, DC.

Jeffrey Boutwell
Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs, Cambridge, Mass.

Luigi Caligaris
Military Strategic Analyst, Rome, Italy

David Carlton
International Studies, University of Warwick, UK

Avner Cohen
The National Security Archive, Washington, DC

Natalie Goldring
Program on General Disarmament, University of Maryland

Gert Harigel
CERN and GIPRI, Ginevra

David Holloway
Institute for International Studies, Stanford University, CA

Pervez Hoodbhoy
Physics, Quaid-e-Azam University of Islamabad, Pakistan

Sergei Kapitza
Institute for Physical Problems
Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia

Michiji Konuma
Environmental & Information Studies
Musashi Institute of Technology, Yokohama, Japan

Michael May
Stanford Center for International Security and Cooperation

George Rathjens, Secretary General
Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs, Cambridge, Mass.

Joseph Rotblat, President Emeritus
Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs, London

Stephen Schwartz
Publisher, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientist, USA

Martin Sherwin
History, Tufts University, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Confirmations are expected from additional eminent scholars who have
been invited to lecture at the School. The course will be articulated
in formal lectures, seminars offered by the participants, round tables
and general open discussions.

GENERAL INFORMATION

A.	English will be the working language of the School.
There will be approximately 60 participants. They are expected to attend
all lectures and seminars.

B.	Applications should be submitted with the following information
which is compulsory also for those who have previously attended:

Full name, date and place of birth, sex, full address (including
E-mail address, telephone and fax numbers if available).
Present nationality. Degree and/or other academic qualifications.
Present professional activities and work address. Publication list
and field of interest. In lieu of publications, a letter of
recommendation from a professor or a scholar in the field.

No special application form is required.

C.	Letters of applications should arrive not later than JUNE 30, 2000,
and should be addressed to the Director of the School:

Prof. CARLO SCHAERF
Department of Physics
University of Rome "Tor Vergata"
Via della Ricerca Scientifica 1,        I-00133 Rome, Italy
Tel.:  (+39) 06 72594560/1             Fax:  (+39) 06 2040309
E-mail:   isodarco at roma2.infn.it

D.	Applications will be considered by the Organizing Committee on the
basis of the information  submitted. All the applicants will be informed
of the Committee's decision as soon as possible but not later than July
15, 2000.

E.	Participants are requested to arrive at Rovereto (Trento) any
time on August 9 and leave in the morning of August 18, 2000.

F.	The nominal admission fee which includes attendance, accommodation
and full board is Lit. 350,000 (approximately US$ 180) and Lit. 250,000
(approximately US$ 130) for students without a salary up to the age of
26 who ask for it. Participants will be housed in double or triple
rooms. The admission fee for single rooms, if requested and available,
will be Lit. 600,000; participants asking to share a room with somebody
in particular, if this is possible, will be charged Lit. 100,000 extra
for each person.

G.	The school is unable to provide any contribution towards
traveling expenses.

H.	The Course will be held at "Le Ginestre Residence", Via Trieste
44, 38068 Rovereto (Trento), Italy, Phone and Fax (+39) 0464 432934.

I.	A limited number of family members can be accommodated at the
Residence Le Ginestre. Room and board for each member is Lit. 650,000
for the entire period. Admission of families is limited and will be
examined on an individual basis. Participants wishing to bring their
families are requested to submit their applications as soon as possible.

J.	Participants wishing to introduce a seminar should enclose a short
abstract of their proposed contribution in their application. The
Director of the School will reserve some time for seminars considered
particularly relevant to the programme of the Course.

K.	The organizing Committee reserves the right to introduce any
necessary changes to the programme.

L.	Please mention in your application if you need a visa, indicating to
which Italian Consulate you intend to apply. As it could take some time
to get a visa, it is advisable to apply for it immediately after being
accepted to attend the School.

RUTH ADAMS				CARLO SCHAERF
Director of the Course			Director of the School

| Isodarco			    | E-mail:  isodarco at roma2.infn.it |
| Dipartimento di Fisica            |				      |
| Universita' di Roma "Tor Vergata" | Tel: (+39) 06 7259 4560	      |
| via della Ricerca Scientifica     |				      |
| I-00133 ROMA, Italy               | Fax: (+39) 06 2040309           |