European Cinema: Blowing in the Wind?

Dossier
http://www.cafebabel.com/en/dossier.asp?id=104
European Cinema: Blowing in the Wind?
While waves of American films lap the shore of the Cote d'Azur, European
productions are chasing ratings but are often unknown in neighbouring
countries - despite unparalleled funding. What's wrong with European cinema?

European Cinema: Theatre of Doubt
http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=1705
Does European cinema have a soul which distinguishes it from Japanese,
American, or Iranian cinema? Yes - over and beyond patterns and
eccentricities, it is the cinema of doubt.
Matthieu Darras - Paris

European Ingredients Do Not Add Up to Success
http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=1691
If you want to make a good European film, why not take an Italian director,
a French actress, Spanish technicians and Polish studios? If only it were
that simpleŠ
Joanna Gallardo - Paris

The European Palate
http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=1692
Europe is the intellectual and cultural hub of the world. Or is it? Of
course it likes to think so. But do we Europeans have the best taste?
That's what we think.
Javier Salas - Madrid

Film Funding: Blatant Protectionism or a Cultural Necessity?
http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=1697
Hollywood kicks up a fuss as European film producers profit extensively
from public funds.
Holger Illian - Berlin

And every week,

http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=1710
Caffeine: Short but sweet, the best of café babel. This week :
<http://www.cafebabel.com/en/article.asp?T=T&Id=1710> How Does Catalan Fit
into Post-modern Europe?

And don't miss <http://www.cafebabel.com/en/macro.asp?Id=8>
the section which takes you to a journey to the East of Europe! This week :
<http://www.cafebabel.com/it/article.asp?T=T&Id=1690>
Russophobia, Sex and Speed

Don't miss our next issue on Monday, May 24th : "Turkey : Let the Debate
(Re)Commence".