Re: Unity Call to the Antiwar Movement from the Troops Out Now Coalition

HASTA !  Volevo chiedere se esiste una versione in italiano ??? Sembrerà puerile ma non conosco l'inglese, mi spiace
non potere condividere le Vostre idee con le mie. LEO

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 5:54 PM
Subject: Fw: Unity Call to the Antiwar Movement from the Troops Out Now Coalition

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 9:25 PM

Troops Out Now Coalition

UNITY CALL TO THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT FROM TROOPS OUT NOW COALITION

The Troops Out Now Coalition (TONC) wholeheartedly and unreservedly joins the activists and groups who are calling for a united mobilization against the war in the fall. The absence of such unity amongst the anti-war coalitions only serves to demoralize rank and file anti-war activists and local forces across the country. The grassroots of the movement are looking to those of us who make decisions to put our differences aside in the interests of the struggle to get the U.S. the hell out of Iraq.

Achieving unity isn't easy but the power of unity is the thing that will give everyone the confidence to do what needs to be done. Moreover, the people of Iraq and throughout the Middle East need the movement in this country to unite. The whole world is looking to us to do it. TONC welcomes the sentiments of all who have signed on to the unity statement that is being circulated by USLAW.

TONC would add to that call that the movement needs to reach out in a more serious way not only to trade unionists that are active in the anti-war movement, but also to working people and people of color. In the Million Worker March Movement you have trade unionists that are people of color at the helm.

These trade unionists are leading the way in helping to bring the workers movement and the anti-war movement together. Let us make sure that our appeal extends to them as well as others including immigrants who are all too often under-represented.

An important part of forging any meaningful unity will, of necessity, require that the anti-war movement both acknowledges and unites with the struggle of people of color and the events that carry their message.

The call for a "Millions More March" on the tenth anniversary of the "Million Man March" has gone out far and wide. The Millions More March will extend over 3 days next fall, October 14, 15 and 16, including a massive march on Washington DC. It goes without saying that many of us will be pre-occupied with this important mobilization. This is something that needs to be respected.

TONC believes that the time has come for all of us to unite around the demand to bring the troops home immediately. This in no way means that other demands should not be put forth.

We absolutely must talk about the war budget and how it's robbing workers and poor people.

We must talk about the prospect of the draft being revived. We must find ways of reaching out to resisters inside the military.

Moreover, we don't believe that uniting must mean censoring, silencing or excluding the positions of those who are participating in that unity.

The antiwar movement must not turn its back on the Palestinian people and their struggle. In addition, the position that the Iraqi people have a right to resist occupation by whatever means they choose cannot be censored or excluded.

We don't think that it helps us to make no mention of the threats against Venezuela or Cuba or Iran or North Korea and simply pretend that these problems don't exist. We believe that the movement must address the ongoing occupation of Haiti and Afghanistan; the imperialist designs on Zimbabwe, the Philippines, Colombia and all the peoples of Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Caribbean and Latin America. Others may have different priorities.

The anti-war movement must ensure that all oppressed communities have an equal place at the table, where their issues and concerns are represented.

Unity does not mean uniformity--the main thing is for the basis of unity to be clear.

It's not necessary for us to ask of each other that we forget neither our differences nor the unpleasantness of past conflicts. All that is required is that we not let any of that get in the way of joining hands to grasp the opportunities that only unity makes possible.

There is a high road. On that road, questions are answered, problems are solved and the means and methods necessary to move forward are found.

Nothing is more important at this moment than for all to walk together on the high road to unity. We believe that what we all do will be decisive. We must and we can stop the war and get every U.S. soldier out of Iraq.

It is up to all of us to do whatever is necessary for our movement to rise to this challenge.

TONC is holding a regional meeting on June 11. A special session of this meeting will be devoted to continuing the discussion on unity and we will be extending invitations to groups to participate in that discussion.

How you can get involved:

1) Endorse this call

2) Forward this to your lists

3) Donate